Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotta love the snaggers!

Gotta love the snaggers!

Well, here we are in july, still at least a month away from a sockeye opening and already the snaggers are out. Snagging was designed for the sockeye fishery because nobody could figure out a way to get them to bite. It was NOT designed for catching springs and in mine and many other peoples opinin is an unethical method of fishing. I have heard rumors of DFO closing the Fraser to all fishing for springs because of the number of people choosing to snag fish instead of bar fishing. So just like most other things, because of a certain group of people everyone will have to suffer. Unfortunately the people who will suffer the most are the people who also enjoy it the most. SNAG ON PEOPLE, SNAG ON!!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gotta love the snaggers!

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. I find washers and bolts attached to huge clusters of massive trebble hooks every year along the shores of the rivers I fish.... Come on people! You are going to ruin fishing altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. I find washers and bolts attached to huge clusters of massive trebble hooks every year along the shores of the rivers I fish.... Come on people! You are going to ruin fishing altogether.
    Hhhhmmmm sort of a double standard starting to show. evidence of animals being killed out of season, and every one gets up in arms when its suggested it is hunters They are poachers. Any one using "clusters of of massive treble hooks" is not partaking in a leagle fishery they are poaching
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

I am one of those "snaggers" you are talking about. Not the ones who use trebles-I adhere to the rules. I use a single barbless hook and a 9 to 10 foot leader. I catch springs and sockeye in season. I also do a lot of flyfishing, and mostly I practice catch and release.
    To be quite honest with you, it is rare that I "snag" a fish in the ass or the back. Usually I hook them in the mouth. If I do snag a fish, I break the fish off instead of trying to land it ass first.
    I prefer "snagging" as you so succintly put it, to sitting on my ass all day, scratching my hairy belly, drinking beer and belching and farting while I watch the end of my rod-tip as I am "bar fishing". At least with "snagging" I am doing something-I cast and reel in. I find it much more exciting...then again, I am only a lowly "snagger" so I figgure my opinion does not count for much....
    "At least once every human being should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

No worries, Wapiti. If you are within the rules, then you are fishing. Fall outside the rules, and then it is snagging or poaching, right ? I'm sure we'll here from the 'ethics' squad on this.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I am one of those "snaggers" you are talking about. Not the ones who use trebles-I adhere to the rules. I use a single barbless hook and a 9 to 10 foot leader. I catch springs and sockeye in season. I also do a lot of flyfishing, and mostly I practice catch and release.
    To be quite honest with you, it is rare that I "snag" a fish in the ass or the back. Usually I hook them in the mouth. If I do snag a fish, I break the fish off instead of trying to land it ass first.
    I prefer "snagging" as you so succintly put it, to sitting on my ass all day, scratching my hairy belly, drinking beer and belching and farting while I watch the end of my rod-tip as I am "bar fishing". At least with "snagging" I am doing something-I cast and reel in. I find it much more exciting...then again, I am only a lowly "snagger" so I figgure my opinion does not count for much....
    X2, couldnt of said it better myself! Its legal and puts salmon in my freezer, theres enough people out there poaching and breaking laws that you could complain about!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I thought that that was is illegal. It is called foul hooking is it not?

yes snaggers are playing by the rules and that is the way it should be, but that isnt really the point. Weather you are snagging a fish in the ass or in the back or even in the mouth you are still snagging the fish. The only difference between a snag in the belly and a snag in the mouth is pure luck. To me, if the fish didnt bite it doesnt deserve to be caught. I also like the food fishery idea, If it were stricly a "food fishery" then go to safeway and save yourself some time and money. If snagging continues in seasons other than sockeye then nobody will be fishing the river at all. if you want to snag save it for the sockeye opening. I am not saying snagers are "lowly", I am saying it is unethical and a threat to fishing.

If bottom bouncing for sockeye is unethical,then shooting a still sitting grouse on a logging road with a 12 gauge is a crime.It is funny how the guys that condem this ''meat''fishery the most, are the ones that have never done it.I hope you realize you still have to cast,fight the fish and net it .

IT IS ILLEGAL TO:
    - wilfully foul hook or attempt to foul hook any fish other than herring,
    northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance and squid.

The end.
    Move on.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny