Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Question, bullet size?

Ammo Question, bullet size?

Another thread on this site has me wondering about bullet choice for my 303. I have a draw for deer in 8-08 this fall. Haven't shot anything but paper and plywood with this rifle so far. Only animals I have shot have been grouse, so a whole new learning curve! I have purchased some 180 grain Winchester (don't know what kind, Crappy tire) and some Federal (again crappy tire), I also have some (180, 200?) that my father in law gave me, he had used for moose.

Is that to much bullet for a deer? Will it open up enough? Should I pick up some 165s? One person has suggested to find one bullet I like and use it for everything I am likely to hunt. Another suggests using different grains... Enough to get a guys head spinning....

And I have to get out to the range to get my new (to me) scope sighted in..

Thanks for the advice.

James

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ammo Question, bullet size?

180 win or the 180 fed will work fine on deer shoot the ones that best shoot from your riffle

Quote Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
    180 win or the 180 fed will work fine on deer shoot the ones that best shoot from your riffle
    Agreed, see which one your rifle groups the best and use the rest for practice.
    What are the bullets you have called? IE Inter bonds, Partitions etc
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Agreed, see which one your rifle groups the best and use the rest for practice.
    What are the bullets you have called? IE Inter bonds, Partitions etc
    This business about seeing which factory cartridges shoot best in your rifle is completely over done! It would take an expert rifleman, with a finely tuned quality rifle and high quality scope, in ideal bench rest conditions, to determine if there was any difference in how each grouped. Do you think the 303 Lee Enfield with the new shooter starting out fits this criteria? And why is it always mentioned where the cartridges were purchased, as if that effected the cartridges? Federal or Winchester, purchased from Canadian Tire (I hate the expression, "crappy tire!") will be the same as those purchased from the most prestigious sporting store.
    And are any factory cartridges on the shelves of any store, that are marked Winchester, or Federal, or Remington, just Junk, as we have so often read here? No. Those companies have been making quality ammunition since before your grandfather was born, and if they turned out "junk," how long do you think they would be in business? At least 90% of those cartridges are used in the USA, thus subject to vast numbers of very critical shooters, plus the top rifle testing people in the world and no end of gun writers. No inferior product will stand up to that.
    These people who say they had a box of so-in-so and they were junk, I say to them, learn how to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by ve7iuq View Post
    This business about seeing which factory cartridges shoot best in your rifle is completely over done! It would take an expert rifleman, with a finely tuned quality rifle and high quality scope, in ideal bench rest conditions, to determine if there was any difference in how each grouped. Do you think the 303 Lee Enfield with the new shooter starting out fits this criteria? And why is it always mentioned where the cartridges were purchased, as if that effected the cartridges? Federal or Winchester, purchased from Canadian Tire (I hate the expression, "crappy tire!") will be the same as those purchased from the most prestigious sporting store.
    And are any factory cartridges on the shelves of any store, that are marked Winchester, or Federal, or Remington, just Junk, as we have so often read here? No. Those companies have been making quality ammunition since before your grandfather was born, and if they turned out "junk," how long do you think they would be in business? At least 90% of those cartridges are used in the USA, thus subject to vast numbers of very critical shooters, plus the top rifle testing people in the world and no end of gun writers. No inferior product will stand up to that.
    These people who say they had a box of so-in-so and they were junk, I say to them, learn how to shoot!
    i do agree a box of federal bought at canadian tire is not much diff from a box bought at hubs sports the only diff is lot # but i do disagree and may be you can explain for as in question here is two diffrent brand bullets fed and winchester your telling me they will not shoot any diffrent in a so called caliber. It has been a wile since i have shot factory round but when i did my 270 win would shoot under 1 inch groups at 100 yrds with winchester bullets but if i changed to remigton bullets my group opened up past 1 inch is it the shooter or is it the diffrent brand bullets

This business about seeing which factory cartridges shoot best in your rifle is completely over done!
    Explain that to this young man as his first big game animal gets up and walks away because the bullet hit 6" aft of it's intended POI.

As well, the practice, even with poor ammo is still practice, to pick up a rifle of an unknown quantity and a bullet the same, and just go hunting is plain WRONG. Not to mention immoral. While I agree the place of purchase is irrelevant the brand your gun likes is very relevant. The animals we hunt deserve better!!!
    Last edited by Steeleco; 07-04-2007 at 01:15 PM.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

a 180 grain soft point out of a 303 will work just fine on deer sized game out to 250 yards
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

[QUOTE]
    This business about seeing which factory cartridges shoot best in your rifle is completely over done! It would take an expert rifleman, with a finely tuned quality rifle and high quality scope, in ideal bench rest conditions, to determine if there was any difference in how each grouped.
    I think you miss the point..One type of ammo may shoot reasonably well and another very poorly. Even a layman can determine this by shooting a few groups of each. If they are both close in performance, then no need to break out the calipers, just go unt wiht either.

? No. Those companies have been making quality ammunition since before your grandfather was born, and if they turned out "junk," how long do you think they would be in business? At least 90% of those cartridges are used in the USA, thus subject to vast numbers of very critical shooters, plus the top rifle testing people in the world and no end of gun writers. No inferior product will stand up to that.
    These people who say they had a box of so-in-so and they were junk, I say to them, learn how to shoot
    Much ammo that is made today is very, very good, but some of it will certainly perfom better than other stuff. The Premium ammo almost always performs well, while the bargain ammo varies in performance. Most of it shoudl hit a moose at 100 yards, though..
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Explain that to this young man as his first big game animal gets up and walks away because the bullet hit 6" aft of it's intended POI.

As well, the practice, even with poor ammo is still practice, to pick up a rifle of an unknown quantity and a bullet the same, and just go hunting is plain WRONG. Not to mention immoral. While I agree the place of purchase is irrelevant the brand your gun likes is very relevant. The animals we hunt deserve better!!!
    Where did I say he should just take the unknown shells and go hunting without sighting in, or practicing?

This business about seeing which factory cartridges shoot best in your rifle is completely over done! It would take an expert rifleman, with a finely tuned quality rifle and high quality scope, in ideal bench rest conditions, to determine if there was any difference in how each grouped
    I smell some BS. As an example lets take my Remington 700 chambered in 30-06. With factory Winchester 150 grain power points, it will shoot around 1.25" 3 shot groups. Switch to Federal 150 grain power shock soft points and it will grow to 2". That is piss poor accuracy in my opinion. Then I can shoot 165 grain handloads with Nosler Accubonds and print a 3/4 inch groups. Dont try and tell us that ammuntion type is 'overdone'!

Some of the bullet options that the ammo makers put out is a bit odd. Case in point 150 grain bullets in a 300 Winchester Magnum. These same 150 grain bullets are loaded in 300 Savages, and 308s @ 2700-2800 fps. THeir performance on deer is good, because of their moderate impact speed. Stuff them in a 300 Winchester Magnum and they leave the muzzle @ 3300 fps. They become explosive bombs, and will destroy half a deer, and provide a big risk on losing an animal due to insufficient penetration of the vitals. This ammo is basically JUNK.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004