Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to hunting need a rifle

Re: New to hunting need a rifle

Someone on here said you will get as many choices of what to buy, as there are replys. Basically right. However, I notice a lot of people just recommend the calibre they happen to be using, without looking at your case and what would be good for you. The 30-06 has been mentioned most often and in my opinion this is the best calibre for you. I think there is a good chance you will become a handloader and if you do, the 30-06 is ideal, perfect for reloading. Much better than the 308 and head and shoulders better to reload than any of the belted magnums, as well as brass being very abundant and cheap, if you have to buy it. Add to that the fact that many hunters have taken any specie of North American game with the 30-06. In fact, more NA game may have been taken with the 30-06 than any other calibre. There is my 1½ cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by bsa30-06 View Post
    I agree with PMJ and Direct Hit lots of ammo to choose from and it's easy to find and relatively cheap to buy.Nothing wrong with buying a used rifle there are lots of good ones out there.Best of luck and welcome to HBC i think you'll like it here.
    Same can be said for the .300 - Shouldn't be a consideration IMO.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I also think the 30-06 is an excellent caliber. Watch this Remington SPS I think the stock was made by tupperware. My son bought one and just got his rifle back from the gunsmith fitted with a wooden stock purchased at the Kamloops Gun Show for, if I remember correctly, 75 dollars. Also a bigger person might find the length of pull to be on the short side.

Although I don't own either the 30-06 or the 300win I would chose the 300. If you only ever want to own one gun that will do everything well this would we the one. Lots of amo selection and better down range power of the two. They seem to produce about same amouint of kick IMO based on the ones I've fired. I like the 06 but it sounds like your a big guy and won't have a problem with the 300.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"

As soon as a guy goes to buy a rifle most people tell him the 30-06, my first was a 30-06 aswell but ive had 7mm and currently a 300 they both kick but get the job done, and its not about the cheepest most affordable calibre out there, it should be whatever the shooter feels comfortable with shooting certain distances etc.
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

I'm going to the range this weekend with my In lawns (father uncle etc) they all own a good verity of calibers. I'm going to ask them to bring the ones I want to try 7mm rem mag, 30-06, and 300 win mag. We'll see then what I feel comfortable shooting.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I'll let you all know how it goes and what I decided on (if I can decide I might want them all lol)

First rifle it would be a 270 or 30 odd 6 both have selective and cheap ammo then you can sell this one after a few seasons and move up the magnum class It is your choice best way to do it find a friend or father in law and shot their rifles and see whats comfortable for you after all the rifles I have shot and used I know love my 270 and my new addition 7x57 Good luck

maybe you found a gun already maybe not....it took me a year to finally buy one. as you can see everyone has there own opinion. for me it came down to walking into the gun store and buying what my initial reaction, and gut told me. and for brand what felt the nicest. i walked out with a tika 7mm Mag stainless synth, and a Bushnell 3200, 3x9 scope. shot 40 rounds, no animals yet, but have not regretted the decision. good luck choosing your gun. a well placed shot will always win over a bad shot with a cannon.

steve

Started with a 270 when i was about eight moved up to a 300 just recently but 270 is just fine aswell, lots of ammo good power, kill anything with the right shot placement
    If you Live Life with no risks, you risk living life at all!

from a 270 to a 338 win mag all is good
    holy underwear