Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to hunting need a rifle

New to hunting need a rifle

I'm 27 now 6'2 and 200lb not sure what kind of rifle to buy. Will be going on a deer hunt in a few months with my Father in-law and maybe a moose hunt later in the year.

I have shot .22's before when I was a teen I was in a rifle club and shot single shot target rifles every week. I also owned my own .22 and went rabbit hunting a few times.

I was thinking a 7mm Rem Mag or .30-06 but my father in-law wants me to get a .300 I'm not sure if that is going to be to much rifle for me I'm sure I can handle the recoil but is it wise to get one for my first hunting rifle? I'll be buying my first rifle used so supply will also be a issue if I can't find what I want I'll have to get the closest thing.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to hunting need a rifle

For a new hunter, I would recomend the 30-06. Will do moose & deer. Recoil is ok. It was my starter rifle at 15 and is still my go to gun.
    Paul J
    BC Wildlife Federation
    BC Rifle Association
    Finnish War Veterans in BC

buy a 7-08 or 308, and spend some extra $ for good ammo and a good scope. A $600 remington SPS or a Savage is a good setup
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

My first rifle was a .30/06 and I got to say it worked well for me. Cheap easy to find ammo made it easy (and fun) to get out and practice lots before the season opened. My .02...

kishman
    Dislexic's everywhere! Untie!!

Member,
    Mission Rod and
    Gun Club.

Welcome to the site!!

Your question could bring as many responses as there are people who respond My two cents.........either will work, and either will do the job on any north american game. That being said, l own a few bigger caliber rifles and over the years find myself reaching for smaller caliber rigs (rather then bigger bores)......which are totally capable of doing the same job if l do my part.
    All comes down to what your comfortable with, plus the same caliber in different style rifles will feel and handle differently. Join a range and ask....most guys are more then willing to give advice about their toys and some may even let you try theirs out.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by pmj View Post
    For a new hunter, I would recomend the 30-06. Will do moose & deer. Recoil is ok. It was my starter rifle at 15 and is still my go to gun.
    I agree with PMJ. 30-06 has been around for a long time and has proved its worth. Ammo is everywhere.
    Good Luck

Where do yo live? If it's local your welcome to try my 30.06 at my range.
    Recoil is a very subjective thing. Some large calibers won't hurt as much as smaller dependant on stock shape, rifle weight ya da ya da!! The rifle has to fit you first, the hole in the end will come later!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

my first rifle ever is still a 308. and i'm 6'2-6'3 and 215 and it dose the job.i don't even notice the recoil.in the next month or so ill be picking up at 7MM Rem Mag.but the 308 will not collect dust in the cabinet.

I'm biased...... I learned to shoot on the .300

IMHO if you see yourself owning one in the future, you should just buy it now and get it over with. Having a 300 Winmag AND a 30-06 in the safe is kinda redundant. The felt recoil between the two is little.

I'll match Steeleco's offer w/ my Winchester Mod 70 300 WM. We're from the same 'hood', this could all be sorted out in one trip to the range.

Good luck and welcome to HBC!!!

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by Direct Hit View Post
    I agree with PMJ. 30-06 has been around for a long time and has proved its worth. Ammo is everywhere.
    Good Luck
    I agree with PMJ and Direct Hit lots of ammo to choose from and it's easy to find and relatively cheap to buy.Nothing wrong with buying a used rifle there are lots of good ones out there.Best of luck and welcome to HBC i think you'll like it here.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.