Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesse Zeman on grizzly talk on CBC Aug 17th 2016

Jesse Zeman on grizzly talk on CBC Aug 17th 2016

Posting this here for you guys, listened to it all.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/b...ting-1.3725436

We need more than ever to be a coherent and cohesive group or our hunts will become a thing of the past.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jesse Zeman on grizzly talk on CBC Aug 17th 2016

Listening to the old bat from VI was painful.

Well done by Jesse, as for some of the other comments, it shouldn't be managed by science..say what, how the hell else are you supposed to manage game populations, definitely not by the heart. Also white grizzly bears, hhmm lets see white mule deer, white black bears, white moose, white mice the list goes on and on, pull you head out of your ass, a genetic mutation, oh no that could only be proven through science, good job Jesse !

These guys drive me nuts! Thanks for standing up for us Jesse. This is going to be a tough battle to win, way too many non hunters that do not share our views. I am a firm believer that both activities (hunting and bear tours) can happen. Some designated areas may be lost to tours, but there is no reason, if science backs it, that we cannot have a hunt as well.

Kyle Artelle claims in his argument, that science shows grizzly numbers are concerningly low. The government says "their" science shows all areas where hunts are allowed are stable or increasing and managed very conservatively. So someone is lying or more likely, both groups are a little biased with "their" claims. The good thing is we are both talking science. Could there be a way both sides could sit down and come to an agreement on a population model or scientific method for managing these animals. Have an independent party that specializes in animal population management, present the models, have both sides agree to the logic and then whatever that party concludes, use those conclusions to help guide our future grizzly management. Worst case scenario, a management model both parties agree upon is established even if populations cannot be accurately determined due to demographic or cost prohibitive reasons at the time the model is proposed. If the bear numbers are OK - hunt away, but if they are not then conservation is obvious, but we need a common ground to agree upon. If we have the two quarreling parties doing their own research, this issue will never go away.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    These guys drive me nuts! Thanks for standing up for us Jesse. This is going to be a tough battle to win, way too many non hunters that do not share our views. I am a firm believer that both activities (hunting and bear tours) can happen. Some designated areas may be lost to tours, but there is no reason, if science backs it, that we cannot have a hunt as well.

Kyle Artelle claims in his argument, that science shows grizzly numbers are concerningly low. The government says "their" science shows all areas where hunts are allowed are stable or increasing and managed very conservatively. So someone is lying or more likely, both groups are a little biased with "their" claims. The good thing is we are both talking science. Could there be a way both sides could sit down and come to an agreement on a population model or scientific method for managing these animals. Have an independent party that specializes in animal population management, present the models, have both sides agree to the logic and then whatever that party concludes, use those conclusions to help guide our future grizzly management. Worst case scenario, a management model both parties agree upon is established even if populations cannot be accurately determined due to demographic or cost prohibitive reasons at the time the model is proposed. If the bear numbers are OK - hunt away, but if they are not then conservation is obvious, but we need a common ground to agree upon. If we have the two quarreling parties doing their own research, this issue will never go away.

Precisely that is the point and here's where I see the bias:
    "I want to stop all hunt"
    "Hunt is barbaric"
    "We're in 2016"
    "We own and operate turism"...

Need I say more? There are definitely interests at play and ton of money and organized curriculum and agenda being displayed. Let's face it, we live in an information age, we need to do our part to show people who we are.

Look at Alberta's upcoming ban on spear hunting. A hunter to who trained, went out in a bush with no back up weapon now he's demonized by everyone for his barbarism? Are we seriously going to take this willy nilly with no lube?

Ayn Rand

^^^^^I definitely like your thinking, but unfortunately, I doubt it could ever go that smoothly..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^^I definitely like your thinking, but unfortunately, I doubt it could ever go that smoothly..
    I believe you would be right. I have a sneaking suspicion that regardless of outcome, there still would be anti's with a heavy voice.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    What goes smoothly these days? To be honest, I just want to be heard and our message sent accross properly, concise but most of all coherent and cohesive. In plain words, stick together geniuses and stop bickering for stupid shit as the storm is brewing. You heard Jesse, how composed and able to drive to the point each time. We are passionate about what we do, we want to make it last for generations to come, then I think we all have the moral obligation to shoulder the effort to conserve what we got, against all odds to be honest.

I know it is as cliche as they come, however, Teddy's immortal words seem to be more relevant than ever: "Speak softly, and carry a big stick " as his foreign policy was "the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis".

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I believe you would be right. I have a sneaking suspicion that regardless of outcome, there still would be anti's with a heavy voice.

With great adversity come long lasting moments in history. Let us make this our own, let us be remembered for who we truly are.

Ayn Rand

Thanks for posting this, Xenomoprh.

Jesse did a fantastic job there, focusing on common ground between hunters, non-hunters, and anti-hunters. And there is a lot of common ground: we are all concerned about habitat and healthy animal populations. We need to focus, as Jesse did, on the ways hunters conserve and promote the health of our native species.

I was also interested in the disagreement between the Ph.D cadidate, Kyle Artelle, and Jesse. Kyle and Jesse certainly represent different sides, as Raincoast and BCWF representatives, but the way their arguments were framed was over the validity of the data they both cited. I'd be really interested to see the data on both sides. If we all had numbers we could agree on, we might be able to get somewhere--all of us want healthy animal populations, and it would be good if we could figure out a way for us to all work together.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

I was checking out that Wildlife Defense Leagues page on Facebook just to see what they are spouting off about lately and they put up the link to this radio show too. One guy commented and congratulated Kyle Artelle for crushing Jesse Zeman lol. He never even came close to crushing anything.