Thread: FLNRO release- Drones

FLNRO release- Drones

For Immediate Release
    2016FLNR0150-001340
    July 22, 2016

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

NEWS RELEASE

British Columbia grounds hunting drones

VICTORIA - The Province has strengthened regulations to ensure that hunters do not use flying drones to help them track wildlife, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Steve Thomson announced today.

The Province amended the Wildlife Act hunting regulation, making it illegal for people to operate or possess a drone, or use data obtained by a drone, while on a hunting or trapping expedition. It is also now illegal for a third party to use a drone to help a hunter or trapper.

Before the change, Section 27 of the Wildlife Act made it illegal to use a helicopter to hunt in British Columbia, although the Province contended that drones were a kind of helicopter. The minimum fine for hunting with a helicopter or drone is $2,500 - although a first conviction could cost a hunter $250,000 and up to two years in jail.

The B.C. Wildlife Federation, B.C. Trappers Association and Guide Outfitters Association of B.C. support the change.

Quotes:

Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations -

"We have to make sure that our regulations keep pace with technology. These changes help ensure that the rules are in line with what most hunters already practise."

Jim Glaciar, president, B.C. Wildlife Federation -

"Using drones to help track your prey just isn't part of the hunting culture in British Columbia. Hunters are respectful of wildlife and their habitat and very supportive of the steps government is taking to
    prevent hunters from using drones."

Scott Ellis, executive director, Guide Outfitters Association of B.C. -

"Hunters come to British Columbia to experience the wild and beautiful backcountry and participate in Fair Chase hunting. Drones undermine the experience people have come to expect when they hunt big game in this province."

Quick Facts:

* Drones are small, remote or GPS-controlled aircraft that can be equipped to send digital images to the operator.

* Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario,and Newfoundland and Labrador have banned hunters from using drones.

Learn More:

To find out more about hunting rules and regulations, visit:
    http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sp...unting/hunting

Media Contact:

Greig Bethel
    Public Affairs Officer
    Ministry of Forests, Lands and
    Natural Resource Operations
    250 356-5261

Connect with the Province of B.C. at: www.gov.bc.ca/connect
    Make sure to Like and Share us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife

2. Site Sponsor

Re: FLNRO release- Drones

Is spotting from a plane and relaying that info to hunters on the ground legal ?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I was wondering how long it would take for this issue to come to the forefront.When drones first appeared commercially that was the first application I thought of.
    In our moose camp north of ft st james we've had helicoptors inform us of the locations of moose closely located to our main camp.In both cases their fly over was interrupted and they cirled back and actuall hovered over moose then buzzed our camp pointing to the spot.No moose was ever shot on these occasions but non the less it was an eye opening experience.

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

That's Great!

Can you clarify if this new law applies to animal photography (assuming no harassment is taking place and it's in a legal area to fly a recreational drone) during the off season? even if said drone operator hunted the area in the fall?

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they banned trail cameras too.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing wireless / cellular ones banned. The possibility of real time images and videos from a network of trail cams during hunting season is a little much..

Agreed. Never understood how trail cams can ethically be considered "fair chase". Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. JMO
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Agreed, sports/subsistence hunting is denigrated by technocrap such as these cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Is spotting from a plane and relaying that info to hunters on the ground legal ?
    While hunting on foot, alone, in certain areas of northern BC, I have often seen small planes flying low and slow over the ridges.......some belonged to GOs as I recognized them from local airports.

Then, I have heard a GO telling a young guide that there was a good bull elk in a certain drainage, where he had flown over the previous day. Is this acceptable, NOT to me.

However, bullshit walks, but, MONEY talks..........