Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS who uses them?

BCHunter Guest

GPS who uses them?

I got one for christmas and thought what a great idea for those far off walks in the middle of no where...Etrex(Garmin)

what type of GPS do you own and how often do you use it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: GPS who uses them?

I have an older Magelan GPS2000XL. Still woks great, mostly I use if for off season scouting, after I look at maps and possibly some aerial photos I'll plug in a waypoint than go far a walk. Don't be like me, play with it, know it, before you get lost, good thing for a compass.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Still on the wish list. So far a compass gets me home but a Gps would be nice one day.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

I use a garmin 12xl, I use it lots, often at work, and for hunting, however, NEVER rely on it, batteries die, you get no reception, etc, nothing better than a map, compass, and good land nav skills. When they work, they are great, fast, accurate, and very helpful, when they don't work, you could be in a world of crap. Remebers murphys law, "The more you need something, the less likely it is to work."

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Garmin Rhino...great little rig, plus the FRS/GMRS radio. Use it all the time. Won't replace my compass completely though, and I don't think they should.
    If you see it, you can hit it!

Thumbs up Re: GPS who uses them?

I bought a cheap one from Canadian tire about 4 years ago and it still does everything I want it to do. If you nock something down and have to go out for help it's nice to take a fix to make things a bit easier to relocate it again. I use it also to mark sign I fine in a given area and then transfer it a map to try and pattern trails and such. I like most still carry a compass with me at all times.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I have a Garmin Etrex and I love it. As has been said it will not replace you compass but it sure is handy. I way point some land marks, like the end of the road/the lake/the top of a mtn, etc. Your truck on any given day. You always know where you are in relation to the way points. It's good to know how far you are from your truck when it's dark and your dragging a deer out. BCKID
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!

Marc,

I always thought that would be the most useful part of a Gps. I think I will have to get one soon.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

i just bought my dad one this year so hopefully i can play with it a lil and get use to them before i go out and shell the money out for one for myself...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

rrfred Guest

got an etrex , works well, but still know how to use a topo ,map and ol fashioned compass cheers, rrfred