Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Lake Fishing Derby

Stuart Lake Fishing Derby

It is the 10th annual Stuart lake fishing Derby up here in the Fort on June 30-July 02. There is $10,750 in prize money for the three biggest rainbows over 5lbs and lots of draw prizes. Cost is $30/person and a great Canada day is also happening at the same time.

So if you are looking for something to do on the long weekend, come up and see what Stuart and the Fort have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stuart Lake Fishing Derby

My dad and I are going to try to fix up ol' Gramp's boat and hopefully enter. We tried to get in last year but we just moved so we couldn't get the time to, but I hope we can this time. If I can make it out I'll be sure to wear my HBC hat.

-Cody
    Last edited by Mini_Me; 06-11-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    Cody
    "Very Nice."

Sounds impressive! I mean the prizes. If I lived in PG I'd go right now.

I should have read my rules before I posted, the prize money is for the top 5 fish, not three. Still first is a respectable $5000.

I will be out early on Sat, have to cook the pancake breakfast on Sun and back at the derby on Monday.

"In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

sounds like a good derby. Do you know what the winning trout size was last year? I go on www.myfishfinder.com often and sometimes there are recent posts and pix from local lakes such as stuart lake.
    Cheers

Not to be a party pooper ,but.Be careful..deadly lake.
    "ETCOOMS"

Quote Originally Posted by Kechika View Post
    Not to be a party pooper ,but.Be careful..deadly lake.
    Yeah no kidding I've heard a lot of horror stories about this lake.
    Cody
    "Very Nice."

Ogopogo or what?

It is a large lake so the winds can and usually do come up, especially in the afternoon. I grew up on the ocean and this lake rivals the waves found on a good storm on the coast, minus the swells of course. We lost a great resident of the Fort last year due to wind, se we all need to be careful and wear our PFD's. And you will probably get checked.

The winning fish last year was around 10lbs and was caught by a good friend and co-worker. On a good morning bite I will catch around 10 rainbows up to 4 lbs and about the same in char up to around 12lbs. have caught bigger, just never in the derby. It is a great time and if everyone is careful, a safe one as well

My grandpa won that derby when he lived up in that neck of the woods. We used to fish on the lake with set lines for Burbot. They make wicked fish and chips. We also caught quite a few Rainbows using downriggers and spoons. They were also pretty big +2lbs and many of them had small kokanee in their stomachs. When picking a lure keep that in mind.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."