Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Waterfowlers Fear of Chest Wading

The Waterfowlers Fear of Chest Wading

Well this morning was my last day for waterfowling until the fall. I set up on a grass field between a potato and corn fields. The geese moved early on and everything was going great.. until the last bird of the day. I coach a single in nice close.. BOOM, right in the neck.. i couldnt take a follow up shot as i didnt feel like raining pellets on the road i was near, but the goose still hit the dirt.. i get up to go get it and it finds its second life and flew right into the potato field... then died. Great.. water levels are higher then ever. I start trecking out into the middle of the potato patch to get the goose and it was all good with water about 6 inches from the top of the waders.. i started to not look at the ground through the water anymore, then it all went wrong. I took one more step and didnt feel ground, quickly tried to pull myself back but it was too late.. in a split second my waders were full and i was going under in a hurry.. i held my breath and realized there was no easy way out. With my head completely under the water i still didnt feel ground.. i stayed calm, let go of my new wood semi auto, unclipped my waders and swam up and moved back to the chest deep water.. after finishing coughing up swamp juice, i unlayered and left my clothes on the water surface and dove back down a few times to find my gun. Thats when i realized it was about a 5 foot drop!! Anyways, if this ever happens to anyone, i recommend not trying to fight to the surface.. just hold your breath and calmly unclip your boots and worry about the gun later.. i can see how if i reacted any differently the situation couldve been much worse. At the end of it all, i did get my goose and found a $5 bill on the soggy walk back... so i guess it payed off, lol.

Longshot jr.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Waterfowlers Fear of Chest Wading

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    Well this morning was my last day for waterfowling until the fall. I set up on a grass field between a potato and corn fields. The geese moved early on and everything was going great.. until the last bird of the day. I coach a single in nice close.. BOOM, right in the neck.. i couldnt take a follow up shot as i didnt feel like raining pellets on the road i was near, but the goose still hit the dirt.. i get up to go get it and it finds its second life and flew right into the potato field... then died. Great.. water levels are higher then ever. I start trecking out into the middle of the potato patch to get the goose and it was all good with water about 6 inches from the top of the waders.. i started to not look at the ground through the water anymore, then it all went wrong. I took one more step and didnt feel ground, quickly tried to pull myself back but it was too late.. in a split second my waders were full and i was going under in a hurry.. i held my breath and realized there was no easy way out. With my head completely under the water i still didnt feel ground.. i stayed calm, let go of my new wood semi auto, unclipped my waders and swam up and moved back to the chest deep water.. after finishing coughing up swamp juice, i unlayered and left my clothes on the water surface and dove back down a few times to find my gun. Thats when i realized it was about a 5 foot drop!! Anyways, if this ever happens to anyone, i recommend not trying to fight to the surface.. just hold your breath and calmly unclip your boots and worry about the gun later.. i can see how if i reacted any differently the situation couldve been much worse. At the end of it all, i did get my goose and found a $5 bill on the soggy walk back... so i guess it payed off, lol.

Longshot jr.
    Glad your safe. It could of been another missing persons file. You should also carry a knife, so you can cut yourself out of your waders. The guy that drown on the Chilliwack river didn't have a chance. His waders held his legs up. He was wearing a chest belt.

Glad you're ok! Thanks for sharing the story.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Good advice, thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Glad your okay. The main point to take here is not to panic. And maybe wear a pfd next time?

On the other hand, I don't believe that the recent death in Chilliwack river can be blamed on the waders. The air inside is not enough to keep the legs up of a conscious individual forever. That water was just too strong. And please don't try to cut yourself out of the waders. U might cut yourself in the process.

I have taken a dip in the vedder once before. Completely submerging my head. Scariest moment of my life but I managed to calm myself down and pull myself up the bank. 3rd time I almost drowned so I finally learned my lesson and go out with a pfd everytime I go.

This guy busts the wader myth out of the water.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs

Did you ever get your gun back?

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine19 View Post
    Glad your okay. The main point to take here is not to panic. And maybe wear a pfd next time?

On the other hand, I don't believe that the recent death in Chilliwack river can be blamed on the waders. The air inside is not enough to keep the legs up of a conscious individual forever. That water was just too strong. And please don't try to cut yourself out of the waders. U might cut yourself in the process.

I have taken a dip in the vedder once before. Completely submerging my head. Scariest moment of my life but I managed to calm myself down and pull myself up the bank. 3rd time I almost drowned so I finally learned my lesson and go out with a pfd everytime I go.

This guy busts the wader myth out of the water.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs

Did you ever get your gun back?
    He was stuck up against the river bank with his legs in the air. He was found that way.

guest Guest

Great to hear our Fellow Waterfowler is OK. I commend you on your focus and calm over the ordeal, that could be a harsh one for many.

Very good news your OK ........ 5 bucks ...... two Tims coffee and donut. Bonus !

Sounds like you had a good shoot ta-boot !

CT

WOW way to stay calm. Not sure I could of. Glad you are ok.

Glad u are OK did you find your gun?

Yup got my gun back aswell. Took 3 dives to find it