Thread: Netting 101

Netting 101

Spent a night up at a buddys cabin last night after fishing the a.m and p.m bite. All in all I caught 12 trout, 9 of them cuttys and the other 3 rainbows. He only caught one lol. Needless to say he was annoyed. He got me back though, big time.
    20 mins after the sun dipped behind the mountain we were doing our specific tack in front of the inflow where we were catching all our fish, knowing that here is where the big boys briefly come up to feed under the cover of the fading light.
    It was like clock work.
    I had the secret flatfish out and wham! Slab on. Instantly he jumped 2 feet and I was like wow ! Huge ! After a good scrap I had him beside the boat and my buddy had the net, just as I was saying "Wait" so I could line him up parallel to the boat and be able to bring him to the net instead of the net to him, my buddy frrantically scooped the fish.
    Well considering he hung over 5" on both sides of the rim of the net, this was NOT a good idea. He bounced off the rim, and the hook slipped from his lip.
    Gone.
    I was dumbfounded, just staring, where my 25" 5lb trout had slipped back into the drink.
    I said " What did you just do? Why did you do that?"
    " I said wait."
    "Don't you know how to net a fish? You go for the head, they can only swim forwards, into it, not back away from it!"
    He never knew that, although he had been fishing for 20 years lol, he said he scooped all his fish lol.
    I couldnt be mad, it happens, but boy was I disappointed.
    I know there will be more to come but after fishing for the duration of my life, that was the biggest trout I had hooked in that lake.
    Still not as big as the 28" that was taken a week before, but maybe he'll be 6lbs next time, cuz I'll be back
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 05-30-2007 at 09:29 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Netting 101

Typical mistake made by many, we live and learn. Just consider it catch and release, at least you got to fight him and see him!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Thats why I only fish with CIL lures

I can relate,lost a 40 + off renfrew last summer, a very savy fisherman got excited and banged it off my line, there will be others.
    Blacktailaholic

I got a similar experience, but with gaffing...we should start a school, i could teach gaffing 101...
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold