Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoke house

Smoke house

Im looking to build a smokehouse in the back yard.Any suggestions?Not looking to do the Fridge thing.Thanks
    "ETCOOMS"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smoke house

have a look at the pictures in my gallery and see if the cabinit will work
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

how big of a unit you want to build
    Animals are my friends, my friends taste good bbq

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I built a 3.5' by 4' by 7' smoker out of 2x3's and plywood. Then I found a old two burner coleman propane stove at a garage sale for 10$. Bought a nice and heavy cast iron pot from campers village in Edmt. and there it is a smoke house. I went to the swap shed at the recycle center and claimed some racks out of a fridge, and installed them for the product to be smoked on. For sausage I hang the rings off of haywire. Works good. I goo out into the bush and get my own alder and chip it up with an axe to use for smoke, but there are chips available at all the walmarts or crappy tires. Simple to build and not that expensive. I can do 50lbs per batch, of whatever fish or meat. The propane heats things up nicely, better than an electric element. Happy bulding and happy smokin' Moosin.

if I get motivated Ill post photos of my winter project a homemade smoker....

Steven

Probably not relevent to this conversation, but I continue to be amazed at the "Little Chief" series of smokers.

I needed a smoker for the restaurant, one that was n't too big, was easy to clean, and portable (so we can use it and put it away) , so I bought a Big Chief.

I've used Bradley smokers before, and they are excellent, but the Big Chief is simple and works, and is cheap.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

http://www.smoking-meat.com/smokehouse-plans.html

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/s_design/masonry_5695.htm

A quick search of google provided some good information. If you want something that will last I would make it out of cinder blocks. That smoker is a solid unit.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

the new Bradley digitals are amazing
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

This is my home made smoker..it is double walled steel(old blanket warmer ) the inside is 6 feet tall x 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep...has 8 racks for salmon and 4 for hanging smokies etc...

The top was added just to shed water and give stability to smoke pipe /stack..on the side closest is a thermometer and at the bottom of the front is an adjustable steel slide vent for changing air volumes....

All in all I have $75 in this....

Steven

I have a book at home on building smokers. I will post the name later.