Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inheritting a 303

Inheritting a 303

Just starting hunting and my father in law is giving me his 303 with scope and double barrel 12 guage. He won't be using them anymore (lifestyle). I have not seen the guns yet but knowing him I imagine they are in excellent shape!

So I may have a chance this long weekend to go for bear. Is the 303 enough rifle, and what bullets would you recommend? Any other pointers are appreciated.

James

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Inheritting a 303

If the gun hasn't been shot in some time, take it to a range and sight it in for yourself. The practice is always good and trusting someone that it's "on Target" is not always a good thing. The animals we hunt deserve as swift an end as we can provide. Winging a critter because the guns is 6" off will not be a good feeling, TRUST ME!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I have printed a bunch of targets. May be all I do is punch paper. May not even get out. Lots of May be's this weekend. Hope something comes together. I have been along on hunts before, this is the first time I will have my own licenses and permits. Thinking of doing a day trip / overnight trip somewhere up the west side of Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy
    I have printed a bunch of targets. May be all I do is punch paper. May not even get out. Lots of May be's this weekend. Hope something comes together. I have been along on hunts before, this is the first time I will have my own licenses and permits. Thinking of doing a day trip / overnight trip somewhere up the west side of Harrison.

NO, NO,NO, NO, I hope i made that clear. Stay away from the Harrison area on any long weekend, there will be about a million weekend warriors flying around the back roads on quads and motorcycles and 90 percent of them will be drunk.I made the mistake of going there last may long weekend and turned around and came home when i saw the drunk guy hangin out the passenger window of a pick up truck.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

I'm with BSA on this one, local bush will be rife with IDIOTS, not everyone in the field is one, obviously, but there are plenty.

It will be hard to find and area that's not seeing a ton of activity of any kind. By all means go and explore, you may find a new spot or a new road, but don't hang your hat on getting an animal this weekend.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Thanks for the heads up re Harrison. For me a good day is getting out of the city. Seeing an animal is a bonus! Actually killing an animal, don't know. Other than a couple of grouse and fish never done it. Gotta try though. Even if I only get out, set up an informal range and kill some paper it will be a good day. Anything else will be an added bonus. We have a new to us travel trailer so I was thinking of taking it out for a test run too.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy
    So I may have a chance this long weekend to go for bear. Is the 303 enough rifle, and what bullets would you recommend? Any other pointers are appreciated.
    I content that a 303 british will kill anything on this continent with relative ease; bears included. I've killed a bear with mine (it took 2 steps, and fell over dead), so I reckon I'm qualified to comment.

Winchester 180 grain PowerPoint's are what has always shot the best in any of the various .303's I've owned over the years. The bullets don't fragment (ie: stay in one piece), and expand nicely. I dug 168 grains of well mushroomed bullet out of my first bull elk. Bullet was mushroomed to over twice the diameter. Good stuff, I tell ya, good stuff!

Happy hunting.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

OK, so the gun has arrived. It has a 10 round clip. I remember something about the clip only holding (3? 5?) bullets for hunting. Can anyone refresh my memory? Also, are there replacement clips and where should I get them? Also, is there a good site to research this beast? Thanks
    James
    Last edited by Phoneguy; 05-19-2007 at 09:15 PM.

PG - I think the Enfield is specifically exempt from the 5rnd mag cap limit. (But I would advise you verify that) There is a thread on Canadiangunnutz regarding this. You can do a search. Also nutz is a good place to gather info regarding any FA.
    O.

i got a No 1 Mk3 that I use. It is a great gun. and any bolt gun can have over 5 shot mag.
    My Enfield still has the brass button on the stock for the British Royal Marines in WW1.

The secret compartment in the butt is pretty rockin too. Put some matches and a pocket knife and a whistle in there for emergencies