Thread: Arrow Saws

Arrow Saws

for those of you who build your own arrows, what tool do you use to cut your arrows to length and where do you get it from????
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arrow Saws

G'day Pupper,

I use a Dremel with the fine cut off wheels. I have a heavy piece of timber with a few nails sticking out of it to hold the arrows firm and square to the end of the wood and I just roll the shaft as I rest the Dremel against the end of the timber. I also have a small bit of wood for a stop that I set for the different lengths that I need.

Clear as mud eh!

Cheers Noel

Bow Walker Guest

Pupper, are you cutting aluminium or carbons or wood or a combination?

Dremels are good for all three types of shafting once you set them up right. The expensive Apple setups are great - but they're out of my snack bracket.

I use a Harbour Freight mini cutoff saw. Works very well for me (and my brother, and his son, and the hermit) - easy to set up and not priced sky high either. Check them out at http://www.harbourfreight.com/ They go for about $20.00 US + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARROW-CUT-OFF-SA...QQcmdZViewItem

Build your own rig, much cheaper than the commercial versions.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Bow Walker Guest

Once set up, these little saws perform like the more expensive $$$$$ one do. Since you are doing maybe 4 or 5 dozen arrows per year, the saw will last you a lifetime - just change out the blade once in a long while.

The saw is part of my bow maintenace center that I put together. I've since added my flething jig to make a completely portable fix-it center.

That looks like a pretty good setup you got there BowWalker.

Cheers Noel

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by interceptor
    That looks like a pretty good setup you got there BowWalker.

Cheers Noel
    Thanks Noel, it works for me as I am living in a rented place that I can't really set up like I would want to.

Dan.

nice job bowwalker. use one of those to. works just fine. plus when my cutoff disks wear out at work, i just save them and have wheels forever now.....
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

I bought a 5 dollar sewing machine at a garage sale .... peeled the motor out of it ... retro fitted a fine 3.5" cutting wheel to it with the help of Princess auto .... took a aluminium yard stick ...glued it to a 3' peice of 2" angle iron ... took a peice of hardwood flooring I had laying around ... routed a grove for a nock ... skill sawed a notch for the angle iron .... and made my own Apple knock off for less than 20 bucks ....

the cool thing about the sewing machine motor is that I still have the foot switch to turn the saw on

I use a band saw and disk sander but I like the looks of that low buck arrow saw from ebay

F/D
    Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. (region 2)
    United Bowhunters of B.C. (life time member)
    BCWF
    Chilliwack Fish & Game
    IDPA