Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear meat- what do you eat??

Re: Bear meat- what do you eat??

Quote Originally Posted by 3kills
    u really gotta go for some bear hams...i
    I was thinking of doing that.I'm going to have try it.I heard that bear hams were excellent.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

i got 4 good size hams off my bear and they were awesome...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

3 Kills is right , Bear Hams are great. Plus Bear Bacon . Nummy.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

thanks for all the imput. I'm definatley looking forward to munchin on some bear meat for the first time!

big bear last year i was talkin bout doin up some bear bacon but i wasnt to sure on it....is it really that good?
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

3 kills,

bear bacon is some tasty treats let me tell ya..........
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Haven't tryed the bacon but had hams done twice. The first time they were great but the second time you might as well have eat the paper they were rapped in.(tasteless) Find the right butcher that knows what he is doing and don't be disappointed!

I make the hinds into ham's and they are the best. The rest of the bear we make into pepperoni and an assortment of other sausages which have always turned out real good. I have never tried the bacon but will this year for sure.

The following is a re-post:

Had an awesome garlic-stuffed bear shoulder roast dusted with thyme, pepper and paprika slowly cooked in wine and onions for dinner last night.

I have previously posted the following:

You can make anything you want out of bear meat. Roasts, steaks, stews, burger, anything. I personally have never had a gram of game meat, bear or otherwise made into a sausage of any kind.

I just can't see buggering up nice sweet versatile meat by turning it into some generic flavoured dreck.

The first bear I got (in 1976) made 9 gallons of rendered fat that went into using for deep fying doughnuts, greasing my boots and for diaper rash ointment for our newborn, who has two kids of her own now.

The three year old is itching for Grampa to take him bear hunting.

Ground bear meat is great in spaghetti sauce, meatballs, lasagna, hamburger patties and anything else you use ground meat for. It loves to be blended with garlic and onions.

And it is extremely versatile.

Had Hungarian chigadina goulash with bear stew the other night and Mrs. is making East Indian style Bear byriani the next time we thaw some stew out. She likes me to save the shanks as they are and boils them in the pressure cooker, then when the meat is cooked off the bones,makes soup with the broth and slices the meat and serves it as is or with a gravy.

The Chinese are supposed to be crazy about bear paws, so to try that I have skinned them out and she's cooked them up too.
    Last edited by MichelD; 04-30-2007 at 12:15 PM.

I know it varies from butcher to butcher, but how much does it cost for an average size bear to be done up into pepperoni/smokies?