Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: freezer of meat..

freezer of meat..

every year i have a freezer full of deer/moose/elk meat. in the event the freezer quit i would loose all of this fare. is there a back up system for freezers? i heard of a guy's who's wife accidently unplugged the freezer in the garage to use an extenson cord and never plugged it back in, lost the works!!

my freezer is very old but works fine. if i went out and bought a new one, could i get one with a battery back up? can you get on with an alarm that will buzz should the power go out etc.. can you get one that has a cooler on one end so a guy could age his meat in a proper cooler/freezer? freezer and cooler all in one that would be the ticket! then i wouldn't have to build a walk in cooler in my garage this august. anyone look into high tech freezers latley?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: freezer of meat..

Depending on how much you're willing to spend you can by a generator that is hooked to your house. In the even of a power failure the generator would kick in.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

a guy's who's wife accidently unplugged the freezer in the garage to use an extenson cord and never plugged it back in, lost the works!!
    The back-up for this case would be DIVORCE!

Seriously, you're in it every other day. If something should go wrong, you should catch it before it's to late. No?

A freezer unplugged is still good for several days...

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

ya i hear a little humming sound when i walk by it that tells me it's on. what if i was away for a week and the power went out?

I made the mistake of piling boxes next to the freezer, what I didn't realize is I blocked off the ventilation to the grill. The compressor over heated and tripped, and the freezer stoped working. The way I found out was when I opened the freezer to grab something a couple of days later. I was lucky that most of the stuff hadn't thawed completely or I would have lost it all. Just a word of caution, keep things away from the cooling vent!

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I use a generator back up for power outages but I have to be home to turn on the generator and throw the main to the off position. I would like an automatic set up incase I wasn't home when the power whent out.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"

My mid size chest freezer is probably 15 years old and has a temp alarm built in, if the temp goes up the alarm sounds. Unfortunately it's useless in the event that it looses power as it isn't battery powered but it would warn me of compressor failure.

I'm sure there is something on the market that has it's own power source.
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

BC hydro has something that can be done to have a genny start up automaticly when the juice die's.

Give em a call.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Nevre lost any myself, but we did have quite the scare this past winter when our power was out for nearly a day.....I was starting to worry. My fathers friend is a tuna fisherman, when he goes away my old man would look after his palce. One day we smelled something pretty putrid in his garage. He had four or five big freezers in which he kept frozen whole tuna. Well one of them calfed and the stench from inside was unbearable....the whole freezer needed to be disposed of, no amount of bleach or cleaner could remove the smell.

if the power goes out with a gen set your hooped, as for accidential unplugging I put a flashing light between the the plug and the freezer, short term solution only
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless