Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly

Re: Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by BRrooster View Post
    What general area are you going to be hunting in?
    up in the Bull River area of East Koots

Please don't bow hunt in the EK Rockies without atleast a spray and I'd recommend a defender. Cow calls have brought in cats too. Although happened during rifle season, I wouldn't be typing this if I wasn't on full bear aware mode in 2008 after harvesting a nice bull. Up the white - was reported to CO's if your (or somebody is) wondering. As far as I am aware you are fully in your rights to carry 12 ga and slugs for bear protection with your PAL. Did it at work up north for years with employers knowledge.

Oh yeah - just recently moved back to EK. If SAR gets called to find you I'll be there. Not a call I enjoy doing - do me a favour, go to the range and practice stand-up shooting a bunch of rapid fire slugs at targets 5-10 metres. You don't need to be 'thinking about it' if ever your unfortunate enough to deal with an extremely close encounter.

As others have said you can call in bears and Cougars while bow hunting. Had a sow grizzly come into our elk decoy one year in the EK. I don't go bow hunting without my defender loaded with slugs. I also carry bear mace and a large knife.
    Live to Hunt...

Thanks guys...all is appreciated and I am LISTENING.....I will now take pepper spray & my defender. SLUG SLUG SLUG SLUG SLUG. any comments on taking out the plug?

As long as your not carrying shot load for birds, only defence rounds, plug can be removed. Just don't forget to replace plug before chasing upland birds or waterfowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkchaser View Post
    As long as your not carrying shot load for birds, only defence rounds, plug can be removed. Just don't forget to replace plug before chasing upland birds or waterfowl.
    thanks for that...got a couple 5 paks o' slugs on the shelf and already took out plug. Goin for pepperspray today as a first line of defense

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

As a backup a properly loaded Ruger Redhawk 44 mag would be my first choice if allowed.
    Saw Randy Garrett a few years ago (South of Seattle) & he highly recommended the 330 gr +P for grizzly protection. More than a handful of grizzlies have been stopped by the aforesaid.

My second choice would be Rossi Ranch Hand(legal in Canada) in 44 mag properly loaded.

3rd a Defender loaded with 3 in. mag. Brenneke slugs.

As for bear spray don’t count on it, I would only use it to ward off a curious bear. It may or may not work. Aerosol can malfunction is fairly common & of course which way is the wind blowing.

DM-Bear spray cannot actually stop a determined bear; a well-placed bullet can.
    TM (Alaskan brown bear guide) -Bear spray is the biggest hoax forced on us there ever was ,IT DOES NOT WORK.
    Surviving a grizzly charge
    http://riverjournal.com/vivvo/outdoo...th_112011.html
    I hear ya on the spray.....I'll give it my buddy who can used it while I'm feedin Mr. Bruin a lead sandwich....lol

if your bringing your buddy you do t need a defender or spray. Just be faster then your bud

Like the OP said: how about keeping things first person knowledge. Does anyone above have first hand experience with bear spray not working?
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.