Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Grizzly

Re: Grizzly

Moose hunting this past season . First 3 days - 3 grizz coming into calls hot - one at 15 yards.. day 4 moose down at dusk and still had to quarter and pack out in the dark. Won’t forget that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Excellent footage. That wolf at 450 has to be the best wolf kill recorded
    My lady tends to be a bit of a sharpshooter…. That was an expensive shot, and a big chunk of wall space in the living room lol.

I posted my tip a few years ago thought it might be good to refresh it.

A TIP HUNTING IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

My first tip has saved me trouble with grizzlies on several occasions over the 50 years I've been hunting in the back country especially where the kill was not readily visible from a distance.

After the kill and if its necessary to go back and get my pack horses or carry out a load of meat backpacking I would always cut a tall branch 8 ft plus the higher the better or I use my walking sticks put together with ribbon or plastic bag on it and stick it upright in the meat . When I return i'm cautious and look for the stick and if its moving or down which you can see from a distance be aware it's very likely a bear is on the kill. I have come back on kills that had a grizzly on the meat and it saved me from a unnecessary encounter. One of my hunting partners 25years ago could of used that advice .He had shot a moose at kluchesi lake and while dressing it out he heard a elk bugle went after it with no luck when he returned to his moose he surprised a grizzly on it . He managed to get a shot into the charging bear hitting it. The bear stumbled but carried on with the attack. He unfortunately didn't pull the bolt all the way back and loaded the empty shell back in the chamber. He waited the bear circled him and charged again . When the bear was a few feet away he pulled the trigger click nothing. The bear severely mauled him and he lost consciousness . When he awoke the bear was dead on top of him bled out from the first shot. His buddy found him shortly thereafter and packed him back to Kluchesis lake and fortunate for him a doctor was at the lake about to go out on a guided hunt.He basically saved his life as he had lost a lot of blood. They transported him to the hospital by helicopter.
    So back to my Tip what happened to my friend happened in seconds if he had a stick and ribbon in the moose he would of seen it swaying or down and he could of avoided being mauled. Next time you approach and you may or may not have limited visibility to your kill this tip might help. .

Quote Originally Posted by dirtymax View Post
    Moose hunting this past season . First 3 days - 3 grizz coming into calls hot - one at 15 yards.. day 4 moose down at dusk and still had to quarter and pack out in the dark. Won’t forget that trip.
    I've had lots of things come and check out my calling, last year was the first grizzly (that I've seen?) he was in sad shape for a fall bear.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.