Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how much is too much?

BCHunter Guest

how much is too much?

how much do you think a half deer mount would cost?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: how much is too much?

Shoulder mounts I figure should be about $450.
    Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed

Question Re: how much is too much?

I got a shoulder mount last fall and it cost me $450.00 for a half mount I would probably expect a couple hundred more.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Hey BC
    I think $450 is fair price but by no means expensive. I think you will pay more for a quality mount and you will probably have to wait quite a while to get it back too. The best Guys are busy so you can expect to wait a year to get it back. Dont cheap out, this mount should bring back memories for years to come. My buddy just got back a Lifesize black bear and a shoulder mount
    of a mulie done by "Dawn til dusk Taxidermy " in Kamloops, and can say they did a great job. Another name my family has used in the past is Mike Stini out of Port alberni. I can attest to seeing cougars,bears,elk,wolf,lifesize goat and a eagle done by Mike Stini and they are very good.

BC Hunter there is a guy in Courtnay, name of Adam, he owns White Wolf Taxidermy his prices are excellent and his return time I believe is 3 months. Thats all he does. I took a 4/4 blacktail to him at the begining of nov 2003 and picked it up dec 23(merry christmas to me)..It's a beautifull piece of art,every time I look at it Iit gives me great memories.

I would echo what huntersdad said - you basically get what you pay for (not always though; some guys that don't know what they're doing can charge stiff prices). However, the outfit mentioned at Kamloops - Dawn til Dusk Taxidermy - is excellent. The lady who does the work is Diane and she really knows her stuff. Not only does she do a fine job on the technical work, but she excels at correct anatomy.

Before you commit to anyone, have a real good, critical look at their work and compare it to photos of live animals. Note mouth positions, eye shape, and space between ear butt and antler, just to mention a few things. Then, regardless of cost, pick the person who can make it look lifelike.

BCHunter Guest

I was asking because my new txidermist that i took my four pointer last year gave me a quote on paper for "$1600 for a full mount -65%off" since its a half mount. The bill paper say "$1600-65%off" He called and wants $1100!!!

Hey BCHunter
    Im doing the math and it does not add up
    1600-65% (1040)=560
    560+14%tax= 78

total with no tip 638

This total would seem to be inline for a shoulder mount
    Another way to do the math the wrong way, would be to take off 35% off
    65% of 1600+ 14%tax
    1040+ 146 =1186

I hope your bill is clearly written so you have some leverage during this dispute. Good luck and try to explain this math to your taxidermist

BCHunter Guest

I'm not stupid, i would never agree to pay $1100 something for a mount! no way....shit my mountain sheep shoulder mount cost me $450 without the tanning done by him.

the bill clearly says

$1600-65%off

and signed by him and me...

the $1600 would be for a half mount with stand and stuff. Mine is my deer jumping a barbwire fence. I don't know it seems to be a bit much to me...it does....?

Hey BCHunter
    I agree with you on this matter, I just dont see his logic for the math.

Somethings might be worth $1100, but in this case, I think not.

By the way, how was the deer being mounted for the jumping scene?
    Hung from the wall or from a pedistle?