Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerky In Smoker

Jerky In Smoker

hey anyone have any good recipes for making jerky ina smoker, have tried a few but all have failed need help. thanks

delby

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jerky In Smoker

Go to the bradley smoker site, and use their receipe. I've used it a couple of times and it works o.k.
    red neck pick up lines:
    do you have a library card, cause I'd like to sign you out.
    if Yer gonna regret this in the morning, we can sleep til the afternoon
    You might not be the best lookin girl here, but beauty's only a light switch away.
    Your eyes are as blue as window cleaner

If you need more room you can do it in your oven at home. Just set the heat to 150 degrees and prop the door open with a spoon. Add liquid smoke to your cure and it'll taste smokey. John
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

The recipe out of the Luhr-Jense Big Chief recipe booklet is very good for Jerky. If you have the booklet check it out, or go to a sports shop and look at a booklet from one of their smokers. They may even be on the Luhr-Jensen website.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

* Exported from MasterCook

“LITTLE CHIEF” BEEF AND GAME JERKY

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Smoking

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/3 c Sugar
    1/4 c Salt
    2 c Soy sauce
    1 c Water
    1 c Red wine
    1/2 ts Onion powder
    1/2 ts Garlic powder
    1/2 ts Pepper
    1/2 ts Tabasco sauce

Trim all fat from meat. Slice meat with the grain to
    about 1/4“ to 1/2” thick. The meat slices nicely when
    semi-frozen, or your butcher will slice it for you in
    his machine. Place meat in the cool marinade and
    leave overnight, or for no less than 8 hours.

Remove from brine and allow to air dry without
    rinsing. Smoke in your smoker for 12 to 16 hours or
    until jerky has dried out to your liking. Use your
    favorite fuel for smoking.

Credit: Luhr-Jensen

For chips I use alder or hickory for salty smoke flavors, and I use cherry or apple for sweeter smoke flavors.
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

hey thanks guys, one question thou. i dont know anything about red wine what kind should i use.

del

The same one you like to drink would probably be a good choice.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Go to the liquor store and tell them you want a red wine to cook with. I am sure they could point you in the right direction.

i found this worked well, basically trim fat, do all that fun stuff, put in a brine of 1 part soya sauce, 1 part brown sugar, and 1 part sweet chile sauce, leave it in there for like 24 hours, and then dry it, its quite good. If you have a meat slicer, that will help to get nice thin strips, perfect for jerky making
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

hey guys thanks for all the great info, one more question when u put the wood chips in how many pans do u use and for how long dio u smoke the jerky for. thanks

del