Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a tarp for a tent??

Anyone use a tarp for a tent??

wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to rig a tarp so that it is a waterproof tent? i just figured it would be a lot lighter and compact packing in a tarp than a tent. any ideas or experiences?

DALE

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone use a tarp for a tent??

When camping in the fall, we usually run a rope between to good sized trees and then hang the tarp over that. Then tie off each cleat to a tent peg and then set up camp underneath. I suppose if you were to scale down this idea it might work, but I would think any wind would make things nippy??
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

If you experience bad weather, you will probably regret not bring a tent. I've heard of guys using a tarp and their experience was not great. Hey Goat Guy, did you and One-Shot-Wonder share a tent last year on opening day? Was it cozy

Livin' the dream....

Quote Originally Posted by Sieg-MM
    If you experience bad weather, you will probably regret not bring a tent. I've heard of guys using a tarp and their experience was not great. Hey Goat Guy, did you and One-Shot-Wonder share a tent last year on opening day? Was it cozy
    Poor GG. One Shit is known to be a "cuddler" when the temperatures drop.

A good quality tent is worth the extra pound or two as soon as the wind and rain hits. The weight difference will quickly even out if everything you own gets soaked. A tarp in addition to a tent would be best.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I've got friends that have done the bivy sac/ tarp thing for a 12 day sheep hunt. After most of that time was spent in the driving rain...they won't do it again. If the weather is great it would be fine for a few days but not for a full 2 week hunt IMHO.

For a light weight tarp you can't beat the Integral Design's Siltarp II.
    http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...roducttypeid=1
    We use is more for a cook fly/ gear storage area. After being stuck inside a tent for a couple of days it's nice just to get outside and into a dry area.

I keep the tarp with me at all times in case I have to spend a night away from camp. I keep my insulating pad with me as well.

SSS

Quote Originally Posted by Sieg-MM
    Under the stars for me - it was comfy, no rain though.

Stonesheepsteve and one-shot shared accomodations along with the packrats and mice. I can only fathom what happened; all kinds of giggling coming out of there.

Two years ago we were soaked with gale force winds, the tent stuck to our faces and woke up to a broken tent pole and a couple inches of snow.

Just taking a tarp ain't too bad but if you get socked in for a couple days it gets a little rough. I've done it up north in August and it ain't the best way to travel but so long as you can build a lean-to or find some boulders and get some boughs to lay down you'll survive.

Buddy of mine hunts stone's in October solo and spends half his nights sleeping under a poncho - course he's a bit of a nut.

Bivy sac's probably the way to go for a one man show.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Yep, Sil-Tarp II is a wicked little piece of gear... Definitely worth it to pack along but there isn't much chance you'd find me living underneath one for 10 days. Take a small tent or a bivy. (I would take a tent)

Carl

I've heard that SSS sleeps in the canopy of his Furd most of the time. Word is, he even has a toilet area in there. Can't say he doesn't travel in style!
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Sleeping under a tarp allows one to be closer to nature (mice, rats, porkys, mosquitoes, etc) 12 x 16 is a good starter size, sides can be dropped and buried for wind proofing, when needed. String it high/narrow or low/wide. Lots of flexibility. Everyone has a doorway, for those midnight walks.

But, a tent does have that feeling of security when closing the zipper, keeping all those things that go bump in the night on the outside........