Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishin the Shuswap

Cool Fishin the Shuswap

Well nobody believes me but there are rainbows in Shuswap Lake and I do have pictures to prove it! The secret is "Downriggers" I spent as much a 5 days on the lake before and the fishing is crazy in the morning and in the evening. The biggest rainbow I've ever seen come out of the lake is 23lbs,no I didn't catch it! The biggest rainbow I've ever caught was 8.5 lbs and it was out of the Shuswap. My first Trip out on Shuswap lake this year is planned to be late march and it will be a blast there's elk up the anstey arm and in october you can hear them bugling. there are also Grizzly up on the hunukwa river during the salmon run. And there's the odd moose as well I 've seen both whitetail and Mule deer from the boat. Its the only thing to do when hunting season is closed.

Last edited by Mulie_Hunter; 12-15-2004 at 01:16 PM.
    Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fishin the Shuswap

There are some rainbows, but like you said down riggers, I remeber sitting on a dock(with a nice supply of beer) for a day, and catching 38 squaw fish. If you ain't going deep, you need to go with river mouths.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

bone-collector Guest

we need to get you into the park mulie, after those bows I showed you pics of on my buddies outfitter website

Talking Re: Fishin the Shuswap

Those rainbows that your buddy is catching in the park are huge but I've heard bad stories that Ootsa,Whitesail, Eutsak,Tetachuck and Knewstubb can blow up bad and in a hurry, but they are just stories and I'll try anything once (Ruff water can be fun as long as you've got a boat that can handle it ). Hey Kirby where were you fishing on the Shuswap?

bone-collector Guest

any big lake can blow up in a hurry , try ocean fishing out at princess royal islands 14 foot swells

you just have to know your boats limits and have a escape route to shore if it gets real bad is all , hell francious gets so nasty in early winter that even the ferry has troubles at times bucking the waves

They dont call me "PUKE" for nothing...
    I hate swells!!! swells are evil things... 10 miles of the west coast of Van Isle
    there is a large collection of breakfasts and lunches.
    Hunt with your eyes...save your legs for draggin....

The biggest water I've been in with my boat are about 6 foot , Gotta love those 350 chevs. Francious is one of those lakes that is never calm it's got a constant 2 foot chop on it. 14 foot water, Sounds like a hell hole too me.

Hey Mulie Hunter, what do you use for a lure? When I was a kid my cousins lived in Blind Bay and we went fishing and used pink ladies to get the lure down and an imitation plug. My cousin hooked a monster that wouldn't fit in the net and consequently got off. There really is some monsters in there.

I use salmon lures, Gibbs F.S.T orange and chrome and Gibbs stewart half brass half chrome, I've heard of using hoochies but I've never had any luck with them, I like fishing quite aways up the lake to the anstey arm and the 4 mile creek area seen a guy pull up a rainbow that I found out later was 13.5lbs. I had a chinook spawner on up there once but it snapped my 15 pound test like3 a twig. I haven't fished for Char much they don't fight any way.
    Last edited by Mulie_Hunter; 12-15-2004 at 01:07 PM.

bone-collector Guest

14 foot swells = 300 pound halibut go were no man dares and yee shall find the big fishies

on the brighter side we have fished that area with a 18 foot boat on several occations with no problems other than running short of beer 2 days early