Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Tackle, But Whose?

Fly Tackle, But Whose?

Hi,
    We have just jumped the next hurdle in our three year plan to move to Kamloops and being a keen fisherman, but never having fly fished was wondering what tackle brands are respected in Canada?

I have read "The Gilly" by Alfred Davie who says that for all fly fishing in BC three rods are required; a 7 foot #3-4; a 9 foot #5-6 and a 91/2 foot #6-7.

This advice seems sound enough but all advice will be welcome.

Tack
    If at first you don't succeed, don't take the Royal Marines freefall course.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fly Tackle, But Whose?

I'm not a fly fisherman, but The House Of Hardy is very well respected here. Last time I was over I was able to pick up a couple of reels for 1/2 what I could pick them up here. The bigger center pin reels we use for steelhead. Good luck
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Dragonfly Makes Nice Affordable Fly Fishing Equiptment. Ever Coming Through Princeton Stop At Princeton Outdoor Supply They Have Nice Combo Rods-Rod,Reel,line,Backing, And Flys Are Cheap.you Can Buy A Nice 12 Back All The Flys For Are Local Rivers. Good Luck

dragonfly is an eccelent product for the money . you could start with a 6 wieght and buy a floating and a sinking line. as for flys a good way to get started is with an atractor pattern like wolly bugger ,gills monster ect try new things see what works for you

Tack. go with sage rods.the cadillac of rods imo. a 6 # rod is about all you will need for fishing the smaller lks around kamloops,a floating line and a med sinker is all i ever use ,talk with Ron at the kamloops flyshoip he will set you up with all you will need .
    Midnight toker

flys=leech,dr,spratley,mosquito..those ones have always worked for me around kamloops/merrit/tulameen

Honestly, if you can pick it up here in a local fly shop, it's going to work, just depends on your prefered action, species to be targeted and style of fishing. Sage (my preference, they fish stiff and can be overloaded with one weight higher line for superb casting, also allowing you to fish different weights for different circumstances), G Loomis, St Croix, Thomas & thomas, Winston all great rods with a high tag on them, but you will probably be getting a lifetime warranty, something I will pay for. The Fenwick Hmx line of rods is a good choice for mid grade with high performance and quality, or Reddington. You can pick up lower priced dragonfly and orvis gear as well as some St Croix models. Of course I have just named a few. If anything, go with a lesser rod and a higher quaility reel, maybe with an extra spool or two for your various fly lines as opposed to having multiple reels. For lakes (unless you are targeting alpine lakes where fish tend to be smaller) I would fish a 5/6 weight with at least a 9' rod, preferably a 9'6" if you are casting low to the water like in a belly boat or pontoon boat. The 6 weight would be ideal if you also plan to fish river systems or lakes that hold trophy trout, seeing as you are heaeded to the interior, thats something you will most likely be hooking in to !! I don't agree with needing three rods for one purpose, ie solely lake fishing or river fishing. i tend to have one or two for each type of fishing (steelie, saltchuck salmon, river salmon, drift, mooch, fly for each and of course trout) and that has cost me into the double digit thousands after being matched to a quality reel, usually being an Islander (Best reel in my opinion)
    Good luck!
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Also, many quality shops will have demo models, if you are looking to spend the bucks, take the time to try some out and see what works for YOU. You can also usually pick these up prior to the new year models being released for a great deal, sometimes only used a few times.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

9' 5wt as a starter. No need to go with anything else. Heavy enough to handle any average sized fish across the province. Check out Temple Fork Outfitters (brand name) as a good for the money starter rod. For a first reel, I'd go with a Dragonfly 355 or 375. I'm hesitant to suggest the 375 becuase I'm not sure if they're still in production. Failing that, an Okuma, Plflueger or Ross fits the bill for a lower end starter.
    The thing to remember is you don't want to be buying top-of-the-line fly fishing equipment when you first start because A) it's really GD expensive and B) You're going to be rough with it because you're learning, and nothing is worse than looking at a busted $400 Sage on your second day :'(

i got a nice dragon fly.9ft 6 weight2 years ago..very night and light.easy casting..i have 2 things of dragonfly floating like 7 weight line.and 1 thing of dragonfly sinking line 7 weight.very night stuff.easy casting..and of course a dragonfly reel ..nice combo..only about 200-250$ for all of it