Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope Question

Scope Question

I've made my mind up for my first rifle. It will be a (lefty) .243 WIN . I'm not sure what price range, make or where I will buy it from, but atleast I've made up my mind on the type of rifle.

The question though is, what scope would suit this? I know the .243 WIN can be accurate to 200 yds.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scope Question

243 can be accurate to 1000+ yards, depending on the rifle and shooter. A quality 3-9x40mm is a good choice for most any cartridge including 243. It is what I use on mine.

for a good left hand 243, take a look at the Remington Model 700 CDL. They are accurate, handsome, light enough to carry but heavy enough to be able to shoot well at the range.

as far as hunting ammo goes for the 243, dont need to look much further than the Federal Vital Shock 85 grain Barnes X load. The Federal Power Shock 80 grain soft point would make for good practice ammo that should fly fairly close to what the Barnes X load will.

good luck with whatever gun you actually go with
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Look no further Derp, that right there is the best you'll see.

thanks for the info tod, i'll look into that, and will probably get that rifle.

I just bought a new Simmons Pro Hunter Rifle Scope 3-9x40

you can find it here on this site:

http://www.riflescopes.com/departmen...fle_scopes.htm

i dont have a ton of money, so I had to start somewhere lol. Hope I didn't make a mistake in buying this scope

what do you guys think?

I just saw one of the above at Del Selin's in Vernon on Saturday, beautiful rifle!
    Can we eat it?

Quote Originally Posted by Derp
    I just bought a new Simmons Pro Hunter Rifle Scope 3-9x40

you can find it here on this site:

http://www.riflescopes.com/departmen...fle_scopes.htm

i dont have a ton of money, so I had to start somewhere lol. Hope I didn't make a mistake in buying this scope

what do you guys think?
    so what do you guys think about this scope i bought?

i bought amost the same one but it is the Eight Point Fully Coated not the pro hunter.very clear scope.i have 2 of them .one on my 308.win and the other still in the box.i shot my first deer with it.good scope..

(P.s-Have The Other Simmons Eight Point 3-9X40 For Sale 40$.Used It For Not Even A Season,Shock Proof,Water And Fog Proof)

for a first scope on a budget it should get the job done
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by 30-06
    i bought amost the same one but it is the Eight Point Fully Coated not the pro hunter.very clear scope.i have 2 of them .one on my 308.win and the other still in the box.i shot my first deer with it.good scope..

(P.s-Have The Other Simmons Eight Point 3-9X40 For Sale 40$.Used It For Not Even A Season,Shock Proof,Water And Fog Proof)
    I plan on using the pro hunter scope that i just bought on my future .243 and I might buy your 8 point for a .22LR or something when I get my pal. haha I don't even have my pal yet (classes start monday) and I'm already buying stuff.

Oh and what kind of rings or mounting system should I buy for the scope I just bought? anyone know (what kind, and price)

Thanks