Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6 year elk

The 6 year elk

after my trip to the kootneys last year alone, I decided to plan another trip this year, asked a few guys and made a plan. Showed up on Thursday early afternoon went out to locate bulls, after pooking around we found them in a deep hole so we made a plan to go in the next morning, headed into the hole, we had are odds against us, wind was bad walking was tough and we had alot of ground to cover, and sure enough when we got into there kitchen they were not there just further down the ridge, so we backed out and went for plan B. Next mornings plan was 4 km bike ride into a road closure, we left early and ended up walking the bikes most of the way (being not in that good of shape), finally got into where we wanted to be I let a bugle for a locate, and we had a response right away, so we made a game plan to go after, one guy went up the hill 100 yards to call and I hiked up the ridge towards the call, I set up in a good vantage point I bugled and he bugled back a funny sounding thing he was a bit away so I decided to copy his call, next thing you know he was 60 yards away and he gave out the same call, so I waited to see if he would come out, he didnt, so I called the same goofy call and he ran up the ridge at me, I counted 6 he took 4 more steps and boom! 40 yards away dead elk 7:30 am, double lung and broke the shoulder coming out. After the shot my buddy comes out and says there was a grizzly 500 yards up the ridge, so 3 hours of work we had the elk quartered on the road, no griz all is good time to pack out, we have 4 guys in our group and it looks like two trips until one of the guys has an idea, "lets build the bikes into a rack system" so we cut trees tied them to the bikes, piled all the meat and packs onto the racks, and it was like a dream elk and head all out one trip by 12:30 in the afternoon. I scored him 313 3/8, 11 inch deductions nice heavy bull (self scored so who knows if its right or not). Thanks to all the guys who helped, would have been a huge job without the help!!
    Last edited by .300WSMImpact!; 09-22-2014 at 05:11 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The 6 year elk

Awesome bull and story, congrats!!!

thats a stud

Nice bull. He's got some weight to him.. Congrats
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Nice Bull, great job using the bikes to take advanage of the road closure

Absolutely Fantastic!
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Wicked bull, way to think on your feet guys bout the biking system of puttin em together..

Nice Bull ...great idea with the bikes
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Outstanding bull.
    I know you have put your time in to get your bull and it FINALLY paid off.
    Now you can leave those "other" bulls for next season...let um grow.
    Congratulations !!!
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc