Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Tips & Tricks

Hunting Tips & Tricks

I think it's obvious to anyone that has spent a little time on this site that 'Hunting BC' has in its current membership some of the most knowledgeable and talented big game, small game and bird hunters in British Columbia today.

I believe I'd also be reasonably safe to say that all that knowledge and talent that the majority of seasoned hunters have accumulated over the years did not come easy or cheap.

In other words, you most probably either learned your hunting skills and woods lore from hard-earned experience or you had the helping hand of a woods wise mentor.

If you could offer up a valuable hunting tip or trick to help a new hunter (or perhaps an inexperienced fellow hunter) get started on the right trail, what would you tell them?

I'll start the ball rolling here with a valuable tip I learned many years ago from old hunters and trappers that took me under their wings.

One of the keenest senses a wild animal has is its ability to smell. When humans perspire we give off a chemical called butyric acid. This acidic component of body odor is what makes humans so easy to detect when we are downwind of a wild animal.

To give a human hunter the upper hand in the wilds, my old mentors would do the following upon setting up camp in any particular hunting area:
    1. Gather a good variety of tree leaves, needles, grasses, twigs and a handful of dirt.
    2. Fill up a large old pot with fresh lake or creek water, add the above ingredients and bring it to a boil.
    3. Once it was cooled down, they would add a small box of baking soda to the mixture and throw in the clothes they intended to hunt in.
    4. After soaking their hunting clothes for an hour or so, they would then take them out and hang them on a line to drip dry.
    5. These clothes smelled like the land with the added benefit of baking soda to kill the human odor.

This little tip always seemed to give the old hunters I knew that added edge of being able to get close to game in the wilds without being detected first.

Good Huntin'
    Bushman
    "To fair-chase hunt, shoot straight, respect, speak the truth, and enjoy the wilds of B.C. in a way few ever experience." —Bushman

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Tips & Tricks

I just find some deer or elk piss when im hunting roll around in it and wham good days hunt lol
    I love venison

a "trick" I have been taught is to have your rifle properly tuned in. when its hitting right good, and you KNOW where it hits at longer ranges, it builds alot of confidence. when you get presented with a shot, you know you're going to make it

so I would suggest anybody who has ANY speculation about their rifles performance, have it checked out, and fixed, and get that possible problem out of the way before it could ruin your hunt
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I dont know if its a trick but i always believe that you should appreciate your animal, understand your animal and choose your animal. It make the whole experience far more enjoyable whether or not you decide to take an animal.

Right on tod, shoot your gun a lot ,shoot it at different distance,s know exactlly where your bullet will hit your target at short range or long range and shoot it a bit just before you head outon your hunts.
    Midnight toker

I like to go commando, it hieghtens my senses and causes me to walk real slow to prevent chaffing.

But seriously....I find that it is best to walk like your not trying to get anywhere quick. Walk really slow and max five steps in a row before you look the entire scene over and over as new lines of sight open up.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"

I'm with phil....Deer walk all of three steps and stop and look always constantly on the ball
    If you Live Life with no risks, you risk living life at all!

My personal tip would be to scout and learn as much about your favourite game species as you can trough observation. Scouting is the most important part of hunting success.

Another tip would be; Don’t walk if you can drive and don’t drive if you can use your binoculars.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter
    Another tip would be; Don’t walk if you can drive
    quad hunters of BC member?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

always carry baby wipes, cheap way to clean ur hands etc.
    Animals are my friends, my friends taste good bbq