Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a gun

Recommend a gun

Hey guys,

im new to hunting and shooting. I went out hunting in princeton last year and ever since, im hooked lol.

Im looking to buy my first gun when my pal gets here.

Anyone wanna recommend a good calibre for a all around good gun?

I was looking at the .30-06, you can find ammo just about anywhere so. ya

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Recommend a gun

My first rifle was a 30.06 and im super happy with my choice.

I am in the market for a new rifle and its going to a 30.06 and most likely a Thomson Center Prohunter.

The best is to try and shoot or look at as many rifles as you can before desiding.
    Thompson Center ProHunter - Owner/Operator

Level A Welder / Fabricator by Trade

i would get a 308.win or the 30-06 spfl..iv shot both many many times...both have lots of power for every big game animal in B.C.. and lots of ammo avalible.low kick.light guns. but what ever you feel comfortable shooting

WELCOME!! to our humble site
    I'm sure you will get lots of response to your question. Personally l don't like the 30-06 for no better reason that its toooo mainstream for my liking and there are so many other choices. While its most certainly a good choice for all round hunting in BC, especially if your only planning on one gun to do it all, so is the .270, .308, 7x57 etc......half the fun is deciding!! Join your local gun club and show up at the range with an open mind and ask other shooters what they think.......l can't count how many different toys belonging to other fellows l have shot because of a conversation that started by asking how they liked their rifles/pistols.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

There will be a good gun show in kamloops in april,lots of guns.

The ol'e o6 is tried and proven. I agree. Get to a range and start talking to people.

Where are you from?
    I'm due for a range session...

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

.308, or 3006. Ammunition can be found everywhere, and if you ever want to handload, they are some of the most versatile calibers out there. You can handload a 110 grain (ive heard rumors about 90 grain .30 cal, never seen any tho) in the 06, or you can load a 200 in an 06, and still have good balistics. My opinion, go with .308 or 3006, and practice, with one of these guns, and good aim, nothing is out of reach
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean
    Where are you from?
    I'm due for a range session...
    Im in the Vancouver area

Quote Originally Posted by garsher
    Im in the Vancouver area
    Well then!.
    Let me please cordially invite you up to the shoot'n range. I have a 300 WM that needs to be dialed in with a new scope that I just mounted.

If you're interested, PM me some details as to what days you could be available and I'll see what I can do.

You got transportation?

***EDIT***
    I trust that you are of age and that I don't need Daddy's/School Teacher/Principal/spouse's permission.
    If you answer yes to any of the above, then I'll need to talk with him or her!
    Last edited by Mr. Dean; 01-30-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

.30-06 is an excellent choice. I personally shoot 7.62x54R which is similarily versatile, but not as a vailable. I have cultural reasonings behind that as I collect Finnish Militaria. Can't go wrong with the 06.