PDA

View Full Version : how patient are you.

v-king
10-10-2013, 11:07 PM
For the stand hunters How long will you sit in one spot not seeing any deer before you move to a different location?

Sofa King
10-10-2013, 11:13 PM
the key is to do a lot of scouting ahead of time to know where to put a stand.
scouting is key, and learning the times they are coming through the area.

personally, I've found I really don't have the patience for tree-stands.

SPEYMAN
10-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Game trails were made by animals.If a trail is active I may sit for 4 or 5 hours for several days.Usually want different ones for different wind direction.One for evening and one for morning.Self climbers are my choice.

Sofa King
10-10-2013, 11:29 PM
due to my lack of patience, what I've done in some areas I hunt, is set up a blind in one location and a treestand in another.
if alone, i'll sit for a bit in one, then move to the other when I get to bored and need a stretch.
when hunting with another, we'll switch spots through the day.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Too long. I've sat from dark to dark in a treestand for several days on trails that have produced in the past.

I need to switch-it up a bit more often.

SSS

coach
10-11-2013, 08:48 AM
In my case, the question isn't "how patient", it's "how long can I stay awake". :-D

Shooter
10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
My longest was 10 hours this year in a tree stand and didn't see a deer. But it is in an area that I know there are there so the thought that they could be there any second keeps me going.

Sofa King
10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
In my case, the question isn't "how patient", it's "how long can I stay awake". :-D

very true, good answer.
I've nodded off most every time I've been in a tree.

Ourea
10-11-2013, 09:45 AM
For the stand hunters How long will you sit in one spot not seeing any deer before you move to a different location?

Personally I would never sit in a blind or tree stand unless I knew exactly what it was I was waiting on.
Scouting/trail cam'in is key.
Sitting "blind" not having an understanding of what is around is nothing more than a shot in the dark.

If I find something that really gets my attention I have absolutely no issue sitting for days from predawn til dark.
It can make for long and boring days but things can go from zero to sixty in the blink of an eye.

GoatGuy
10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
dark to dark, most exciting 15 seconds of your life.

v-king
10-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Wow...I have to work on my patiants. I was ready to move after two hours. Thanks. Also, someone told me they loved hunting from a stand..."so peacefu, relaxing, can read and take a nap" lol then I find out he's never taken anything in years.

WKCotts
10-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I sat dark to dark in a natural ground blind over a wallow earlier this year. 14 hours

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2013, 11:52 AM

I tend to sleep with my ears open. Just make sure you have your tether just at the right length otherwise that 4" fall will make you shat your pants.

Funny....my daughter is falling in my footsteps as last yr she fell asleep as soon as she hit the blind. "Wake me up when you see deer, okay?" :-D

Next time I'm waking her up with a rifle blast. You snooze you lose!

SSS

GoatGuy
10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
X2. Take a book, or just enjoy nature. I find if you actually watch nature its never boring.

Too true, had more neat experiences sitting and waiting, watching critters. Lots of great memories of bucks fighting, chasing does, first bucks for new hunters and lots of close encounters with critters.

We try to hunt in pairs so at least one person is 'awake' although sometimes that doesn't work. Take the crib board, play poker, take the whisper lite for hot coffee and lunch. There's also the gun shot alarm which is good for some entertainment...... if you're sounding off the alarm, not the one sleeping.

If you're tagged out you could theoretically just sit there, drink beer and heckle!:-D theoretically.

greybark
10-11-2013, 01:30 PM
:-D It depends on how old you are ! You are either too cold or too hot and the naps come in between!
Cheers

Stéphane
10-11-2013, 03:08 PM
dark to dark, most exciting 15 seconds of your life.

And then some. To hear them come. . . shwish. . . . shwish. . . . . shwish shwish shwish. . . . . . . shwish. There it is! 20 yards away . . .your heart pounding so hard you're convinced the deer can hear it.
And in an instant, all the wait time seems like nothing at all, and that precious moment will be engraved in your mind for ever.

But you can also drive around in a truck and listen to music. Different thrill. I've done both, but by far I prefer the stand.

HarryToolips
10-11-2013, 03:23 PM
5 hours without seeing anything is about my max, if I see critters well then all day I'm good..

Brian011
10-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I've sat from daylight till dark and seen very little and other times I've say for 20 mins and had a shooter buck come by, it's all luck and timing, sit in the same spot for a week straight and might not see a thing then the big buck walks by the next day after you've moved to a different spot. Or a big buck might walk by just out of sight, just have to be in the right spot at the right time.

rocksteady
10-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Ants In my pants... If I have a huge area to glass, all day. If I am in a tree stand looking at the same 40 yard circle....maybe an hour...

RoscoeP
10-11-2013, 05:10 PM
I usually do 3-4 hour shifts, then maybe go walk around and do some scouting for a while. Usually head back to camp for a couple of hours for some food etc. Later in the afternoon head back again and sit until dark. I enjoy doing this and find it relaxing, I change places as I see fit and it has worked for me. Cheers Roscoe