PDA

View Full Version : Deep woods Muley buck and how to cure the missed chance blues!

lovemywinchester
10-10-2013, 01:51 PM
You guys ever have a chance at a good buck and blow it because you got busted and he took off? Maybe you cracked a stick or got lazy and moved too fast trying to look into a ravine or nice swampy hidey hole when you should have stayed still and just watched. Maybe you didn't glass enough or pay attention to the wind and all you could do was stand there choked as a big buck ran away. It's going to happen to all of us if we get out and hike the back woods for bucks. It’s happened to me a few times already this year and I relive these moments over and over, awake and in my dreams.

On Tuesday I killed a buck I missed two weeks ago to the day. Same place, same time of day, same buck! My best mulie ever and the best part is I was able to relive the moment but I turned the disappointment of blowing it into manning up and killing him. Here he is.

Click the pic for the video

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/th_bigmulie4x3_zpsd0357321.jpg (http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/bigmulie4x3_zpsd0357321.mp4)

Two weeks ago a buddy and myself hiked a mountain top I had my eye on for a long time. One road in and miles of thick bush behind it. Lots of ravines and swamps between sweet flat rock hills covered in buck brush and of course the dead fall beetle kill jungle patches which are all over. Perfect mule deer country. I love road hunting as much as the next guy but there is no feeling like really getting back into the suck and seeing what’s going on. Getting right into the deer's living room.

I had hiked here a few weeks before with another buddy and saw lots of promising deer sign and lots of big buck turds. I am a big believer in really working an area instead of bouncing from hill to hill hunting so I decided this was my spot for this fall. After hiking for a few hours together we were heading down to the truck and decided to split up for the last 1k to the truck. I was working my way down and came to an amazing swamp in a big bowl which was lit up with the late afternoon sun. The whole swamp was glowing yellow and the wind was perfectly into my face. I remember thinking that this was a perfect home for a buck. I stood and looked around for a few minutes soaking in the sun and decided I needed to be a few feet closer to the edge to see in and as soon as I moved a big buck took off from maybe 75 yds. Watching that muley bounce away was hard to swallow. It was September and I couldn't make out points to shoot. I could see he was wide and big bodied and I could have smacked him but I wasn't sure so there he went.

That night and pretty much every night since I have relived that moment of him bouncing away and thought what would have happened if I didn't move or if I had looked harder or if I had glassed it or.......

Due to work and the fact that its way up a mountain I was two weeks before I could get back up there. My plan was to hike a shorter loop and end up in the same swamp for the same time of day. When I got out of the truck around 11 it was beautiful. It was sunny and snowing lightly with a crisp NW breeze which was perfect. The poplars had all turned bright yellow and were falling in the breeze. Just an amazing day to be in the mountains and I was feeling like this was as good as it could get for hunting.

I hunted my planned route and saw some deer and spooked another BIG deer which I didn't get a good look at. Spooking that deer set off all the same emotions of missing the other buck and made me slow down again and get dialed in for what I was trying to do. I followed my GPS exactly to the same swamp and came in the same path slowly and quietly with the wind in my face. It was close to 5 pm so the sun was low and beaming into the swamp and it was just glowing yellow again and more so with the leaves changed. I stood at the same spot but this time I didn't move a muscle. I started at the edge of the swamp and slowly worked right looking as hard as I could. As I got the right edge where he busted from last time I caught movement and there he was. Feeding towards me. I could see his grey muzzle and wide rack lit up from behind. I was in shock almost and my heart went into overdrive.

I just couldn't believe it. I did it, I snuck up on him again but this time I didn't screw it up. The sun was right behind him and he moved and I lost him for a minute. I took some deep breaths and calmed down. I could hear him cracking sticks and a squirrel chirping at him but I had no view of him. I slowly moved over to the left and he was standing broad side with his head and ass end behind trees. All I could see was boiler room. I put the sights on and remember thinking " f#@k me, this is it!" and shot him. He jumped and spun around broad side looking right at me. I reloaded and put another one in his ribs and over he went!!

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/009_zpsa5665087.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/zippogold/media/009_zpsa5665087.jpg.html)

When I walked up to him it was amazing. When I say he was in the same spot I mean he was in the EXACT same spot from where was two weeks ago. In the same footprints maybe, lol. I set up to take some video but my phone died which is too bad as I was really getting into the moment as you can see!

The fun was over and the nightmare of hauling him out was just beginning.

This will be easy with a game cart, RIGHT?

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/010_zpsbc26aac3.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/zippogold/media/010_zpsbc26aac3.jpg.html)

I'll spare you the details of getting him out but I bucked him up and started heading down in the pitch black. I was prepared for this with lights and such but the bush is a different place at night. My phone died so no GPS of the easy trail out. Five minutes in I was on my back in a jumble of logs with feet in the air and was thinking this ain't good. The game cart I just bought was useless in the deadfall and between the wheels falling off (cotter pins pulled out by sticks) and losing one side of it, I had to leave the quarters up there overnight. I managed to turn the phone on for long enough to pin my location then it died for good. I headed back up yesterday to get him and besides some crow damage all was good.

To wrap it up I was able to turn the nagging memory of spooking him into a good one and I made it out alive with my best mule deer so far. Hope you all enjoy the story and I would encourage everyone to get back in there if you are able. That’s where the bruisers are! The funny thing is I can't stop wondering how big the other buck I spooked was?

coach
10-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Absolutely awesome, LMW!! Gotta feel even better than watching your Leafs win a couple playoff games last year. :-D Great buck! Love the excitement in your video. Congratulations. Now go get yourself a big WT.

Thanks for posting.

lovemywinchester
10-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks Coach! The hard work pays off. I haven't scored him yet but he was 25 1/2 wide. Hope he breaks 160.

skibum
10-10-2013, 02:08 PM
cool man, thanks for the story and picture

kootenayelkslayer
10-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Great buck. Even better hat! GLG!

hare_assassin
10-10-2013, 02:12 PM
That's an awesome story and a great-looking buck. Way to go!

ace76
10-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Nice work man! It sure feels good when it all comes together like that doesn't it?

Iron Sighted
10-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Good job Andrew, that is a great looking buck! Glad to see your persistence paid off, pretty cool to drop him exactly where you spotted him before.....sweet redemption : )

Phil
10-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Great story. Excellent buck! I've been busted a few times too. I know the feeling well.

adriaticum
10-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for this most excellent and thought provoking write up. You outwitted a fine buck!

Whonnock Boy
10-10-2013, 02:34 PM
I know exactly how you feel, only I didn't have to wait two weeks for another chance. Good for you man! That is a great buck.

Getbent
10-10-2013, 02:39 PM
That is awesome...you deserve to be stoked...beauty deer.
All my favorite old haunts are so full of the blow down pine, makes it near impossible to get into where I want to go as we used too, so I hear you on the difficulty of that thick snotty shit.
Good Job

Brizz
10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Dude - AWESOME!

Blainer
10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Fantastic Buck
Great effort
Great share!

caddisguy
10-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Great job! Too bad about the cart not working out. I would have been up all night worried that a predator would steal the meat. Side note about the squirrel you heard yelling at the deer. I often wonder if the squirrels are worthwhile as an alert system, or if they are just chirping at another squirrel or giving me hell.

Brian011
10-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Great buck! I've had a couple encounters like that where all I've seen is a huge rack jumping through the bush and nothing I could do about it then all you think about is the different things you should have done.
congrats on a nice buck!

Big Lew
10-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Very nice! Great story, thanks for sharing. It would be extremely hard to duplicate or better that hunting experience in your lifetime, that's for sure.

GoatGuy
10-10-2013, 04:08 PM
way to stay at it - congrats

10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
NICE ! Congrats to you on working hard.

CT

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Honestly Winchester how (deep were you) in the woods lol.
Jello

1980skywalker
10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Great buck, I am dreaming of the day I get to harvest a mulie of that calibre! Posts like this one are what really make this forum a great place to lurk, post, and share. The way you wrote your story is duly noted and worthy of one of the best stories I have read. Everyone has a story how they harvested a particular animal, potentially a trophy, but writing it down so that others can actually feel the hunt is perhaps the most difficult part of our crazy sport.

Sitkaspruce
10-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Awesome Buck!! Way to stick with it, congrats on the nice buck!!

the video was great, until the toque came out.....then I turned it off....:mrgreen: :wink:

Congrats again

Cheers

SS

Bushy
10-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Nicely done Hump, no wonder your not around!

Probably don't have to ask for you to bring the bone for a peak at Thanksgiving dinner???

Skip the last comment, lol

RB

BigfishCanada
10-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Hump nice story and nice deer, now you and I can hike back up there for the bigger one that moved in after you took him out.... seein any whiteys your way?

Mishka
10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Beautiful buck. Your story is a great motivator to keep patient when still hunting. Sometimes it gets a little frustrating when you know they're there but you're not seeing them. Your work paid off!

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Tunkwa rocks

d6dan
10-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Well done!!!Awesome LMW. Great story and vid. :-D

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Nice buck but won't score real high, it definately has great character tho.
Jel .. In dah Loops .. not bad for your first buck unreal .. 3-19 has some dandies.

lovemywinchester
10-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the great comments guys! I had a great hunt and its fun to share it with you all. I think if you could take a non-hunter out to experience days like I had they would be hooked for sure. With the exception of the deer puking blood up maybe. One of the best things about posting a story like this is I can go back and relive it any time for years after. Something to think about for new hunters or guys unsure about putting up pics and stories.

Bushy- I'll bring the bone up. You sick *******
Cade- I still have a cam up there I need to pull so maybe I'll get you up there. I'm a little worried about showing you my new honey hole because I know after a few Palm Bays around the ice hole you start singing like a canary.

Jelvis- Deep. I was in deep. Balls deep.

dana
10-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Congrats on a great looking buck!
BTW it's a little easier getting a critter out of blowdown with it deboned in a pack. ;)

Islandeer
10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Great buck, like the part when you wiped out in the crap!!!

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Singin what? A canary who what where? we know who and when. Ahhhh?
jelero no big deal .. i see visions of of ahhh many many trembling Aspens....

Lillypuff
10-10-2013, 06:41 PM
great on you andrew thanks for posting

buckguy
10-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for sharing. Lights a fire under my butt to get out there and see what happens. Congrats. All that hard work is going to make the treats taste that much better.

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Debone and pack or -- slide or pack quarters out -- dat iz dee quest John
some of you fellas have taken many a mule.
Jelana

Ovis17
10-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Congratulations. Great looking mulie there!!

Wrayzer
10-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Great read! They saw WTs are creatures of habit but if a muley is comfy he'll stay as long as he wants, or until LMW strolls by.

Awesome buck, Congrats!

Sofa King
10-10-2013, 07:38 PM
sweet deer.
and a great story.

I got out for two hikes this afternoon, but nothing was moving at all.
and yeah, some areas are thicker now with recent blowdowns everywhere.
as I walk through these areas, I find myself thinking how shitty it will be to put a deer down in there.

kennyj
10-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Awesome story! Awesome buck!!
kenny

Sofa King
10-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Great job! Too bad about the cart not working out. I would have been up all night worried that a predator would steal the meat. Side note about the squirrel you heard yelling at the deer. I often wonder if the squirrels are worthwhile as an alert system, or if they are just chirping at another squirrel or giving me hell.

witnessed this a lot, and a couple times just this afternoon.
i'm sure the squirrels chatter to each other, but they're pretty vocal and agitated when something gets close to their tree.
as I entered an area where I always see deer, I loop around above and come in from behind, a squirrel started going nuts quite a ways ahead of me in the thick.
he hadn't been bothered by me yet, so i'm thinking I may have pushed a deer through ahead of me.
and on the hike out, I had a couple instances where I came upon a squirrel.
they didn't even get bothered until I was directly under them.
and they didn't start their chattering until I was moving away.
I always try to pay attention to the squirrels and make a note if I then see a deer that was in that area.

another one I wonder about, or kind of wish, is when the ravens find me out in a cut or on a hill.
they'll hang around, fly away, then come back and circle around.
I always wish they'd go circle and locate a deer for me to come shoot and feed them.

Ringo 7MM
10-10-2013, 08:04 PM
witnessed this a lot, and a couple times just this afternoon.
i'm sure the squirrels chatter to each other, but they're pretty vocal and agitated when something gets close to their tree.
as I entered an area where I always see deer, I loop around above and come in from behind, a squirrel started going nuts quite a ways ahead of me in the thick.
he hadn't been bothered by me yet, so i'm thinking I may have pushed a deer through ahead of me.
and on the hike out, I had a couple instances where I came upon a squirrel.
they didn't even get bothered until I was directly under them.
and they didn't start their chattering until I was moving away.
I always try to pay attention to the squirrels and make a note if I then see a deer that was in that area.

another one I wonder about, or kind of wish, is when the ravens find me out in a cut or on a hill.
they'll hang around, fly away, then come back and circle around.
I always wish they'd go circle and locate a deer for me to come shoot and feed them.

You got squirrels and ravens in your living room? Must make it hard to watch WILD TV from your armchair.

Sofa King
10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
You got squirrels and ravens in your living room? Must make it hard to watch WILD TV from your armchair.

that doesn't even make sense.
I said I was out for an afternoon hunt.

f350ps
10-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Good on you, that's one beauty buck, way to stick at it!! K. P.S. Why is this Ringo dude still here? K

Ringo 7MM
10-10-2013, 08:09 PM
that doesn't even make sense.
I said I was out for an afternoon hunt.

Stupid is what Stupid says

Ringo 7MM
10-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Good on you, that's one beauty buck, way to stick at it!! K. P.S. Why is this Ringo dude still here? K

What's your problem?

burger
10-10-2013, 08:17 PM
I give him less than the evening.

As your thinking of writing a retort, pause for a second and think what did I accomplish here...Really nothing other than you get to miss out on a great resource of hunters and their knowledge.

It was great seeing you coming but better seeing you...

f350ps
10-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I give him less than the evening.

As your thinking of writing a retort, pause for a second and think what did I accomplish here...Really nothing other than you get to miss out on a great resource of hunters and their knowledge.

It was great seeing you coming but better seeing you...
Hahaha, precisely, both of them are a pair of beauties really!! K

f350ps
10-10-2013, 08:47 PM
And back to what we're here for, I'd love to hear what that Buck scores! K

Grousedaddy
10-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Beauty buck man congrats!

FishandHunt
10-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Nice animal and nice story.

Jelvis
10-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Time to guesstimate the net score, and nets aren't only for fishin.
Any close guessers out there in eye scoring a mule deer buck rack attack?
Telus yer guess or shut the you know what. hello whose gotta number like U C.
Jellosemiproguesserwithinfivepointsori'mbradpit.

Gilmore
10-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Gotta love it when a plan comes together!! Great buck!!

bosca
10-11-2013, 06:56 AM
I can totaly relate...makes you feel a little more in controle when strategy pays off.
Excellent buck!!
I alway wondered about those game carriers...now I know.
Thanks for the story...nicely done.

lovemywinchester
10-12-2013, 11:07 PM
I finally had some time to rough score the rack. Came in at 167 5/8 gross. Pretty happy with that.

HarryToolips
10-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Right on congrats man, wanna hear a crappy luck story about missin a good buck? Sept 28th I had my sights on a awesome 4 x 4 muly, but he wouldn't give me a vitals shot whenever I had a shooting lane through the brush, so he got away..next mornin I got up super early to get back to the spot hopin he'd show up again, and on the way up on the highway I wasn't thinkin that there could be black ice, hit a patch doin between 80 and a 100 my SUV spun out then rolled 2 or 3 times, luckily I had my seat belt on so came out of it with just a stiff neck..

Brez
10-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Great story. Congrats.

roymil
10-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Great story. Congrats.
So A when you gonna quit working?????

Brez
10-13-2013, 08:05 AM
June................I'm apprenticing right now (in my final year)

Above the Treeline
10-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Great write up and awesome pics! Nice work, you earned it!

Rackem
10-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Beautiful buck, great story, perseverance pays!

WKCotts
10-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Awesome buck and video! Love the luck leafs hat lol

warnniklz
11-19-2013, 12:28 PM
how'd I miss this thread... solid friggin deer. 32 special! ****in' deadly!

tribal
11-19-2013, 02:00 PM
great looking muley! thanks for sharing!