PDA

View Full Version : Moose 5-15A

moosefred
10-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Got drawn for a bull in 5-15A. Heading for Crooked Lake in a couple of days. The hunt is from Oct 15-31. I'm new to the area so any help that might enhance my chances of a successful hunt would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

rbarriault
10-10-2013, 07:03 PM
I hunted there a few years ago, killed a moose in the Mackay valley one year.
Lots of muleys migrating from the hills that time of year, have a blacktail tag.
Never seen any white tails up there.
Big slide is another good area to check out and tea pot.
Moose should be rutting at that time so sit in a good spot and do some calling.
Beautiful country enjoy.

CKvan
10-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I hope you have better luck than I did. I was up there for the early draw and saw 2 cows in 3 weeks. I was in the northern part of the zone, though, the southern part looked better. The big P-O was that me and buddy talked to some hunters just the other side of the road in 5-02 and they pulled 2 nice bulls out in 3 days...

I'm sure there are loads of moose in the area, it seemed like I was practically wading in moose poop in some areas, but it was all old and dried out. The area hasn't been logged for some time and is pretty thickly treed.

srupp
10-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I hunted there a few years ago, killed a moose in the Mackay valley one year.
Lots of muleys migrating from the hills that time of year, have a blacktail tag.
Never seen any white tails up there.
Big slide is another good area to check out and tea pot.
Moose should be rutting at that time so sit in a good spot and do some calling.
Beautiful country enjoy.

This gentlemans advice is spot on...was recently up there..good deer and moose #s..also bears..
steven