PDA

View Full Version : Consolation Prize Muley

Wrayzer
10-10-2013, 07:05 AM
SO as most of you know Myself and hunting partners were going hard for Okanagan Elk. We scouted hard all summer, found a nice spot that produced 4 legal bulls on camera, as the season progressed we had multiple close calls with bulls coming in silent and busting us at less than 60 yards without presenting shots, a missed evening of not being able to count points, have a wallowing bull at 150 yards with much and grass in his antlers making it impossible to count. It really was a great Elk season where we learned more than we have in the 3 years I have been chasing them. Some friends/family did drop two bulls so it was great to be able to see them hanging.
The other day brought us a very cool clear morning that made for a brisk and loud hike to a nice grassy meadow with a wallow that was being hit hard, was a tough morning with every movement being amplified over the crisp cool frosty landscape. Even the softest and lightest jackets couldn't hamper the sounds of lifting my binos to my eyes. I ended up telling my partner if we cant see it with our naked eye then lets not risk spooking everything out, out of sight, out of mind.

The two hours rolled by with cold toes and losing feelings in my legs from sitting so long, we decided to call it a day and start the hike out.

As we are heading along the trail, I see Movement to my left, on top of a ridge, skylined 108 yards away was a buck. Now all I knew was that it was a buck and it had beams a bit past his ears but looking head on points were a countable option. No problem, its October. After eating Tag soup for 2 seasons I have been saying the first decent buck I come across is going in the freezer.
Line him up and BOOM drops in his tracks. Awesome! Wait, he gets back up, and then I pin one right behind the eye for good measure. Down.

At this point my partner and I high five, thankful no more Kirkland Beef this winter and begin the walk down a small ravine and up the ridge. Turns out he is a nice little 4x4 with weak back forks, but a nice consolation prize to a great Elk Season.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/Wrayzer/buck5_zps3d760556.jpg
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/Wrayzer/4x4Mule_zps27b2dc42.jpg

Blainer
10-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Nice finish!
Sounds like you are enjoying the season and that's what matters most.

ghost
10-10-2013, 07:15 AM
nice consolation buck better than Kirkland beef for sure.

hare_assassin
10-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Congrats! Great "consolation prize"! Anyone would be happy with that.

One thing that jumped out at me was "on top of a ridge, skylined 108 yards away". I hope this doesn't mean there was no backstop.

albravo2
10-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Good for you! It sounds like your elk season went much like mine. One day all that learning will pay off, right?

r106
10-10-2013, 07:23 AM

One thing that jumped out at me was "on top of a ridge, skylined 108 yards away". I hope this doesn't mean there was no backstop.

^^^ Get a life. ^^^^

Congrats on the deer

Dusty Roads
10-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Nice buck.
Sounds like a great trip.
Congrats.

kgs
10-10-2013, 07:28 AM
congrats guys great job and story

hare_assassin
10-10-2013, 07:28 AM
^^^ Get a life. ^^^^

Mine's just fine, thanks. I won't apologize for thinking safety is the number one priority when hunting.

Wrayzer, you don't need to clarify or justify anything to me. That's not what I meant by my comment. I am just very safety-conscious is all.

pnbrock
10-10-2013, 07:29 AM
good on ya,id take a buck like that aswell about now

406elcamino
10-10-2013, 07:30 AM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by hare_assassin http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1394483#post1394483)

^^^ Get a life. ^^^^

Congrats on the deer

ya no kidding

Weatherby Fan
10-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Nice buck and great shooting, thanks for sharing your pictures and story.
WF

one-shot-wonder
10-10-2013, 07:54 AM
That will be a great eater buck Jeff.....congrats!

Let's see the other side of its face! :mrgreen:

lovemywinchester
10-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Right on Wrayzer. Tough luck on the elk but its great to have some tasty mulie for the freezer. I had some fresh mulie backstraps fried in onions and garlic yesterday, so good!! Enjoy

dave_fras
10-10-2013, 08:02 AM
nice job man!!...does this mean you are gonna start looking for a cranker whitey?

coach
10-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Awesome, Wrayzer. I've heard Kirkland meats will soon be out of business. Losing such a frequent purchaser as you will put them over the fiscal cliff. Apparently they're gonna sell off all their cattle operations and start manufacturing quads. :-D

I'm betting this buck will taste and smell a heck of a lot better than "Bubba" did a couple years back. :-D

Wrayzer
10-10-2013, 08:19 AM
OSW - As you can see from the wobbley jaw, it aint too pretty!

Its funny I wrote the story, read it, re read try to see what someone would find wrong with it and sure enough...

Edit: typing on smrt phone isn't easy.

lovemywinchester
10-10-2013, 08:23 AM

Its funny I wro the story, read it, re read and seeing what someone would find wrong with it and sure enough...

In the future if you could scan your cancelled tag and include the photo with your story, that would be great. You look kinda sketchy.

coach
10-10-2013, 08:26 AM

Its funny I wro the story, read it, re read and seeing what someone would find wrong with it and sure enough...

It's unfortunate that some people don't understand the purpose of the PM function on this site. Clearing things up before derailing someone's thread would just be too simple. :confused: Great to see that, after two long years, you've finally posted a successful hunt thread! Hopefully there's going to be another one soon. Still time to get that elk!

Weatherby Fan
10-10-2013, 08:45 AM

Its funny I wrote the story, read it, re read and seeing what someone would find wrong with it and sure enough...

Here at HBC the squeaky clean safety cops are out out in full force..........in the future before posting said story please provide....
1-Range and accuracy reports of said rifle.
2-Pictures of area so we can verify safe shooting lanes.
3-Clear Picture of cancelled tag ensuring proper cancellation of said tag
4-Autopsy report with pictures of said bullet placement
5-Please have HBC upper management proofread story to resolve any issues that may cause grief and safety concerns to HBC membered saints !
Thankfully they will let this one slide but just think if you would have downed a Legal Bull Elk and a Consolation Buck in the same trip......Please be more considerate in your future threads.
:wink::mrgreen:

Gateholio
10-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Congrats on the buck. As I said on another thread, there is always someone that can take a good thing and twist it into something negative. Glad to hear you won't be eating Kirkland this year! :)

one-shot-wonder
10-10-2013, 08:55 AM
No issues on my behalf with your story Jeff, thanks for sharing.......your coup de grace is just fine in my books.

As for all the legal begals on here.....doesnt surprise me today with our society always looking for something to be paranoid about. I wonder how disucussion of backstop happen on the prairies??

warnniklz
10-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I now dub this dear "THE SCREAMIN' DEAMON"

Good job man.

Gateholio
10-10-2013, 09:05 AM
No issues on my behalf with your story Jeff, thanks for sharing.......your coup de grace is just fine in my books.

As for all the legal begals on here.....doesnt surprise me today with our society always looking for something to be paranoid about. I wonder how disucussion of backstop happen on the prairies??
My opinion on safe shots is simple- It's either safe to shoot at something or it isn't. Backstops are but one factor in making the decision on a safe shot, and they may or may not be present....However, I really wouldn't want to derail this thread with a backstop discussion, maybe start another thread about backstops on the prairies or backstops and what is a safe shot etc.

markt308
10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Cool story. Congrats on your deer.

Philcott
10-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Nice buck. Enjoy the first steak. Medium rare.

adriaticum
10-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Good show!

ElliotMoose
10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Nothin wrong with that! Good lookin buck. Sounds like a good season

HarryToolips
10-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Very nice buck..kelowna area obviously??

Fella
10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Hey nice buck! Thanks for posting the story! Hope the negative comment doesn't discourage you from posting again, it's nice to see guys who are willing to share!

139grainsofhell
10-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Nice buck congrats , them ok elk are tuff to get we came close as well but not close enough!

Getbent
10-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Its funny I wrote the story, read it, re read try to see what someone would find wrong with it and sure enough...

Edit: typing on smrt phone isn't easy.

Brutal that you have to do that...keeps people from posting, getting ripped by thsose with nothing better to do, happens elswhere as well...

nice job man! I had one like that with a bad profile....and it ain't pretty...lol

outdoorsk
10-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Nice looking buck.....congrats. Thanks for sharing the story.

hare_assassin
10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Hey all,

I wasn't trying to rip into him. I congratulated him first and I'm genuinely happy for him.

I was simply commenting that alarm bells went off when he described that aspect of the hunt. I was taught to be overly safe about these things, I guess.

I also wasn't trying to derail the thread. I apologize that I almost did so. The comment about taking this type of thing to PM is bang on. I should have done that.

I said I wouldn't apologize. Now watch me eat crow.

Sorry.

coach
10-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Hey all,

I wasn't trying to rip into him. I congratulated him first and I'm genuinely happy for him.

I was simply commenting that alarm bells went off when he described that aspect of the hunt. I was taught to be overly safe about these things, I guess.

I also wasn't trying to derail the thread. I apologize that I almost did so. The comment about taking this type of thing to PM is bang on. I should have done that.

Sorry.

Good on ya for clarifying and apologizing. Now - you've done some great threads about recipes.. Gonna share how you prep that black feathered bird? :-D

GoatGuy
10-10-2013, 11:48 AM
congrats, nice buck!

f350ps
10-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Good on ya for clarifying and apologizing. Now - you've done some great threads about recipes.. Gonna share how you prep that black feathered bird? :-D

Hahahaha.....touche! K

hare_assassin
10-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Raw, with lots of hot sauce.

Wrayzer
10-10-2013, 01:13 PM
No worries Hare, its easy for any of us to jump to conclusions on stories as every single detail may not be described, as in the angle of the shot, if his head was the only part of the deer skylined etc etc.

hare_assassin
10-10-2013, 01:16 PM
No worries Hare, its easy for any of us to jump to conclusions on stories as every single detail may not be described, as in the angle of the shot, if his head was the only thing skylines etc etc.

Ya, but I shoulda just fired you a PM.

Once again, congrats on a great buck! Going for WT now?! ;)

Wrayzer
10-10-2013, 01:16 PM
LMAO. Can we get this stickied??

Here at HBC the squeaky clean safety cops are out out in full force..........in the future before posting said story please provide....
1-Range and accuracy reports of said rifle.
2-Pictures of area so we can verify safe shooting lanes.
3-Clear Picture of cancelled tag ensuring proper cancellation of said tag
4-Autopsy report with pictures of said bullet placement
5-Please have HBC upper management proofread story to resolve any issues that may cause grief and safety concerns to HBC membered saints !
Thankfully they will let this one slide but just think if you would have downed a Legal Bull Elk and a Consolation Buck in the same trip......Please be more considerate in your future threads.
:wink::mrgreen:

coach
10-10-2013, 01:20 PM
And some people go so many years between kills, that it's hard for them to remember how to tell a story on here..:-D

Back to what this thread is really about: congrats again on a fine buck, Wrayzer. I know how hard you've scouted for elk the last few seasons. Great to see a mule deer reward you for that effort. Looking forward to chasing WT's with you sometime soon. Now go get that elk!

Jim Prawn
10-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Nice wide rack for a younger buck. Looks like his face hurts. Good shootin.
JP

Wrayzer
10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
And some people go so many years between kills, that it's hard for them to remember how to tell a story on here..:-D

Sometimes I felt more like a Gronola Muncher going out for hike and fresh Air than a Hunter the past two seasons. Passing bucks, not shooting elk...

Ourea
10-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Congratulations Wrayzer.
One would expect to see a pretty Whitetail from you this year seeing as you don't have mulies to distract you any more.

kennyj
10-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Nothing wrong with that!
kenny

Caveman
10-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Hey all,

Sorry.

I am guessing that you are a new hunter and good on you for thinking safety. I have no issues with your comments as I know, and other should have as well, you were just stating that a shooter needs to know where his shot could go after it exists it's target. Better this than not thinking about it. I think all that were quick to jump on you owe you an apology for jumping to the conclusion that you were slamming the OP. By the way, to the OP, congrats on a nice buck

People should remember the whole purpose of this site is to celebrate successes and share them with others that appreciate these achievements as well to assist and educate those that may not have the mentors/teachers that some of us grew up with to teach us what hunting is. One unexperienced comment, not even wrong, should not warrant a bunch of guys calling him out. Remember where you came from and help these guys rather than discourage them. And no, I am not one of the so-called HBC Saints. Just calling it as I see it

dave_fras
10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Sometimes I felt more like a Gronola Muncher going out for hike and fresh Air than a Hunter the past two seasons. Passing bucks, not shooting elk...

hahahaha

remington666
10-12-2013, 09:28 PM
congrats ,nice buck

Wrayzer
10-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Ya, but I shoulda just fired you a PM.

Once again, congrats on a great buck! Going for WT now?! ;)

I have had some on the cam in the same area, one a nice 5x5 typical frame. I still have a bit of time with the elk before concentrating on the WT.

Hillbros_96
10-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Congrats on the great buck. Definitely better then store bought.

beeker
10-12-2013, 09:52 PM
In the future if you could scan your cancelled tag and include the photo with your story, that would be great. You look kinda sketchy.

sketchy.....

nah, it's just a homemade dew rag apparently!

Nice buck Geoff!