PDA

View Full Version : First-timer help: no luck finding grouse in Region 8-10

scott_karana
10-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Hey guys!

Hoping for some tips, since we didn't see a single grouse when we went up this last Sunday.

We headed up Beaver Lake Road in Lake Country at around 4:40PM. We turned left before the Dee Lake turnoff, and went maybe 1.5 km North along the ridgeline, where we parked and hiked for the rest of the time.

We stalked slowly across some clearcut (covered in cow patties), crept up a moist, mossy streambed, and went through some trees and semi-thick brush until we got back to a road.

I heard lots of bird sounds, and we saw a couple little songbird-like species, but I didn't see any grouse, quail, pheasant, etc, nor did I ever hear any grouse drumming.

We called it quits when the sun was close to the horizon, and it was dusk by the time we got back down the hill.

Any ideas what we might have done wrong?
Bad time of day? (It was a cold, bright day at least)
Were we moving too constantly, even if we were slow and fairly quiet?
My dad was a bit crunchy in the underbrush, but I was ahead of him a good 50 ft at some points. Not sure how picky a grouse's hearing is.
Do grouse see in color? I wasn't wearing camo: tan jeans, blue shirt, and blaze orange vest.

beeker
10-09-2013, 03:51 PM
On a nice clear crisp day, sticking to the gravel roads whether walking or driving is likely your best bet. The grouse will hang out on the roads ingesting gravel that helps them digest their regular food.

scott_karana
10-09-2013, 04:38 PM
On a nice clear crisp day, sticking to the gravel roads whether walking or driving is likely your best bet. The grouse will hang out on the roads ingesting gravel that helps them digest their regular food.

Thanks! I guess avoiding the roads was a bad move on my part then. :)

What other habits do grouse have that I should know about? Going to try again this weekend.

caddisguy
10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Gravel near deciduous growth. And they like to stay dry. Sunny days are best and anything more than light rain, they will seek shelter and be more tricky to spot.

Jedcote50
11-05-2013, 10:00 PM
First off this hasn't been the best year for chickens, they're out there but you got know where to find them. As the season progresses they get the idea that they're getting shot at so they a whole bunch more spooky. Also as the season goes on they split up from their family units so where you may see a few together in Sept. you probably only see singles in Oct / Nov. Old seldom used logging roads are your best bet and later in the day as the shadows grow long will see them out getting gravel for their craw. Walking the bush is one of the toughest way to score these little devils and you'll probably only give yourself a heart attack because they'll hold in cover until you get to close. Spruce grouse are the easy ones, Roughies are the most plentiful in the area you're hunting and Blues are by far the biggest and best ( my favorite) but they are the spookiest. I use a double 410 with 7 1/2 magnums but some of my buddies use 22's and plink them on the ground, and I even know a few guys who use 12 gauges, but they shred a whole lot of meat. Walk or drive slow and keep an eye out for any movement along the side of the road. If you are looking for the whole bird to appear at once you'll miss a lot as their plumage is terrific camouflage. It's like anything else it takes a while to learn on your own, it's better if you can find someone to show you a few tricks. Pre-season scouting is always a good thing however their diet is different in the summer than the fall - they don't need as much gravel in their craw when the plants and bugs are young and soft in the summer. There is nothing better than hunting chickens in the woods and if you have a good dog it's the ultimate. Have fun.