PDA

View Full Version : Goat hunting in region 2 area 5

killer_shot
10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I did a fly by in the port mellon region yesterday and unfortunately the alpine was obscured by a few clouds. i found some decent access to what seemed about 1500ft below the alpine but this leaves me with limited access and i dont even know if the goats are living on those peaks or not. before i go and waist my only goat hunting trip this season on a new area i was hoping some of you might have some idea of the population in there or any other info or experiences in that region would be greatly appreciated.

EvanG
10-09-2013, 07:12 PM
you've got less than a week, make it happen, hopefully the weather stays good

killer_shot
10-09-2013, 11:41 PM
thats whats making me want to go over there barely any snow in that alpine yet and i have a feeling my usual zone in the koots will have a good dump of snow already which would be fine if it was like 3 or 4 feet deep for snow shoes but im thinking its prob just a slippery death crust on there now. Already had a scare in 4 inches of snow in the rockies almost slid off a cliff like that.

guess no one is gonna give up the goods to easy but if you have any info saying yeah they are seen around port mellon area or not would be a big help

Brew
10-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Worked up around port Mellon. Looked for goats numerous times but have not spotted any. Maybe I wasn't far enough back. It is a hunt that I would really like to do though. I wish you luck and hope to here a story of a kill when you get back. Pretty tough country back there. A lot harder than a kootenay goat hunt I bet.

killer_shot
10-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Well thats not a great news brew but i know they are back there somewhere just a matter if they are on accessible terrain or not. Given the lack of snow and good weather were going to have over the weekend i figure i may as well just go for it. I can always go to the koots when they come down and the snow is deep enough for snowshoes and not the 4 inches of slip and slide over shale thats there right now. Besides went and got my rifle all dialed in this afternoon shooting balloons out to 560yards in a cross wind brings up the confidence so just have to keep my fingers crossed they will be their.

dhog
10-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Haven't seen any goats up the Rainy for a few years now try up Jervis inlet more goats up there

killer_shot
10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
how am i gonna get into jarvis thats big adventure to get into there unless you know some lakes to fly into hint hint

Brew
10-11-2013, 09:43 AM
I have not been here but want to fly in one day and look around Phantom lake. Not sure if there are goats there but the mountains around it look goaty to me.

killer_shot
10-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I should have thought of it sooner to do some flights around that region if i had known it was only 200hr to rent small plane. Next season im find those goats in the plane then just do a fly in like your talking about

limit time
10-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I should have thought of it sooner to do some flights around that region if i had known it was only 200hr to rent small plane. Next season im find those goats in the plane then just do a fly in like your talking about

It works for the sheep hunters:0

dhog
10-13-2013, 07:40 AM
if you have a Plane on floats I go into Phantom lake or Vancouver bay and hike the bluffs from there you can also get a water taxi out of Egmont good luck

nuadixion
10-13-2013, 01:22 PM
This goat is from 2 05...right at the coast close to Port mellon.
Population is healthy, access ...you will need to scout on foot for nice paths. It is actually not so bad.
Pm me if you need more info.

nuadixion
10-13-2013, 01:23 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?99545-Got-my-Goat-Head-is-Back&highlight=goat

forgot the link.