PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Hunting in Region 2

grousehunter
10-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm a new crossbow hunter in the LML looking for more information on where to hunt grouse within 2 hours of Vancouver. I'm interested in hunting grouse in either MU 2-8, 2-4, 2-3, 2-19, 2-7, 2-9, etc. I've heard grouse hunting in Squamish or behind Britannia Mine is good. If you hunters could point me in the right direction on where to go that would be super helpful.

Thanks!

caddisguy
10-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi all,

I'm a new crossbow hunter in the LML looking for more information on where to hunt grouse within 2 hours of Vancouver. I'm interested in hunting grouse in either MU 2-8, 2-4, 2-3, 2-19, 2-7, 2-9, etc. I've heard grouse hunting in Squamish or behind Britannia Mine is good. If you hunters could point me in the right direction on where to go that would be super helpful.

Thanks!

I'm new to hunting as well, but I have spent a lot of time on the wet coast lower rainland dirt roads and trails and have concluded that grouse come so few and far between that expectations should not be high. Grouse populations struggle in wet environments. The little cheepers need to keep dry in their battle for survival. You can hike for miles or burn many tanks of gas without seeing grouse. To increase the odds, your best bet is probably road hunting gravel roads near deciduous forest with a moderately open canopy in the evening time starting around 3-4pm until dusk.

The MU's you mention are close the same. I would favor 2-19 and 2-9 slightly... I see them in 2-2 from time to time as well, but considering the time and gas spent searching these regions, if re-invested by venturing a little further east and a little north, perhaps into 8-5 or 3-14, you will increase your odds a little more.

TheProvider
10-09-2013, 12:22 PM
There's some good grouse hunting up here. They can be rather spookish as the area see's a lot of road hunters. Normally I see a couple each outing. Last guys wouldn't let me within 40yrds before flying and that was on a less travelled road. The ones I bump into in the woods are a lot less spooked.

parttimeexplorer
10-09-2013, 12:28 PM
I was out on the Indian River FSR in Squamish last week and didn't come across any... While I'm primarily searching for deer, grouse would be sweet too. Maybe Pemberton?

Big Lew
10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
There are willow grouse most places in the Central and Upper Valley side hills, but you have to walk the old trails, unused logging roads, or beside creeks with exposed gravel areas for your best chance. It can be very challenging and expensive with archery equipment though because willows don't stay still or stick around very long. If you go up into the higher logging slashes you might run into blue grouse which are normally an easier target.

seanps
10-10-2013, 07:29 AM
All kinds in the Squamish Valley. Keep at 'er.

grousehunter
10-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just picked up my hunting license from Italian Sporting Goods and the guys there were just out grouse hunting in Boston Bar and said it was money. They were really helpful. I'll probably check out that area since they mentioned most of the nearby areas near the Vancouver area are tapped out by all the local hunters.

seanps
10-11-2013, 07:13 AM
PM'd you with some tips.

caddisguy
10-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just picked up my hunting license from Italian Sporting Goods and the guys there were just out grouse hunting in Boston Bar and said it was money. They were really helpful. I'll probably check out that area since they mentioned most of the nearby areas near the Vancouver area are tapped out by all the local hunters.

Yes 3-14 is getting into better grouse turf as I mentioned earlier. Cruise around and Anderson Creek check out Spius and Utzilius FSR. Clear day in the morning and even better in the evening. There was another road... Lilt or something... check that out too.

It's a maze up there, so a mapbook and handheld GPS is great. Keep going and you could find yourself all the way to the Coq southwest of Merritt. Gas up in Hope or Yale and fill a couple 5 gallon containers... otherwise pass the pulloff and top off in Boston Bar and turn back around.

The pulloff you want to go into is about 2.5km south of Boston Bar. It's a small landing pad and a sharp right (if heading towards Boston Bar)... if you see a big R.A.P.P. sign, you're heading up the right road. If you miss it, just turn around via Boston Bar. First part climbs steep along the highway. Don't look down. Watch out for workers, as you will come across logging, tree planting, road maintenance, hydo, etc. etc. If you run into and oncoming truck heading down, you can keep backing down until the nearest pulloff. There are quite a few places to back down and pull off to help a truck by if necessary.

It's still not a guarantee for grouse there, but your chances are probably way better than anywhere in Region 2. I have only explored around there once but it was during a storm. All we saw was a couple willows dash into the thick stuff, but in better conditions you should find some duskys. Key is that it is not as wet up there on average so it is better habitat where the cheapers can survive. If you want better chances, then you would have to go 3 hours of highway from the LML. You have found a good compromise.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. You could see blacktails or muleys and maybe a yogie.

grousehunter
10-13-2013, 12:09 AM
The pulloff you want to go into is about 2.5km south of Boston Bar. It's a small landing pad and a sharp right (if heading towards Boston Bar)... if you see a big R.A.P.P. sign, you're heading up the right road. If you miss it, just turn around via Boston Bar. First part climbs steep along the highway. Don't look down. Watch out for workers, as you will come across logging, tree planting, road maintenance, hydo, etc. etc. If you run into and oncoming truck heading down, you can keep backing down until the nearest pulloff. There are quite a few places to back down and pull off to help a truck by if necessary.

Thanks for the detailed advice caddisguy. I'm probably heading up there this monday. That FSR you mentioned 2.5km before Boston Bar, how far do people go in usually? Is there a good spot I should park and just start walking on the road? 10min, 20min in?

caddisguy
10-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the detailed advice caddisguy. I'm probably heading up there this monday. That FSR you mentioned 2.5km before Boston Bar, how far do people go in usually? Is there a good spot I should park and just start walking on the road? 10min, 20min in?

It's a maze of FSR's and spurs up there. The main ones are Anderson, Spius, Utzilius. The terrain is fairly steep and there is a lot of thick stuff. I would head up Anderson 6km, turn left and head up Spius and keep heading up until you start seeing grouse. Transition areas where you have sections of birch, alder and or thin pine are often good. You'll hit a few summits where things flatten out and you can hike around a little bit.

Did you end up checking it out on Monday? It seemed like a very nice grouse shooting day. I was tempted to look around up there again while driving by on my way back from the South Cariboo. Speaking of which, it seems like a great year for birds in the South Cariboo region. I hear that it was a really dry spring in the cariboo, which may be a big contributor. While driving along the FSR's there, looking off to the side we would see a flock along the road every couple km on average for most or the day. In the mornings, they were so stupid you could walk right up to them. Afternoon/evening, they would spook easy. We only shot a half dozen over the weekend between the three of us, but there were hundreds of opportunities. We were looking for deer, so we decided to keep the grouse shooting to a minimum.

I hope you were able to find some in the Boston Bar area! Let us know how it went :)

ianm
10-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Man, I've only seen two grouse ever. Thanks for the info caddisguy!! I'm going to have to head up there when time allows :D

caddisguy
10-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Man, I've only seen two grouse ever. Thanks for the info caddisguy!! I'm going to have to head up there when time allows :D

To Boston Bar or the South Cariboo? Boston Bar is good as far as Region 2 is concerned--you will likely see a few grouse--but the second part of my post was actually about the FSR's around the South Cariboo, which is actually region 5. Maybe I should have not derailed... I don't want to get anyone too excited. Worth noting though, that the two places are only 2 hours apart :)

If do ever venture over to the South Cariboo, check out those FSR's around Lac la hache. They are infested this year.

grousehunter
10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
It's a maze of FSR's and spurs up there. The main ones are Anderson, Spius, Utzilius. The terrain is fairly steep and there is a lot of thick stuff. I would head up Anderson 6km, turn left and head up Spius and keep heading up until you start seeing grouse. Transition areas where you have sections of birch, alder and or thin pine are often good. You'll hit a few summits where things flatten out and you can hike around a little bit.

Did you end up checking it out on Monday? It seemed like a very nice grouse shooting day. I was tempted to look around up there again while driving by on my way back from the South Cariboo. Speaking of which, it seems like a great year for birds in the South Cariboo region. I hear that it was a really dry spring in the cariboo, which may be a big contributor. While driving along the FSR's there, looking off to the side we would see a flock along the road every couple km on average for most or the day. In the mornings, they were so stupid you could walk right up to them. Afternoon/evening, they would spook easy. We only shot a half dozen over the weekend between the three of us, but there were hundreds of opportunities. We were looking for deer, so we decided to keep the grouse shooting to a minimum.

I hope you were able to find some in the Boston Bar area! Let us know how it went :)

I acutally went up above Britannia Mine since a few of my buddies bailed and we wanted to go somewhere close by. We hiked up for 9kms and didnt see a single grouse, although a few mtn bikers told us there was a small flock of 3 they saw a month ago near the bridge past the 6km mark if anyone is interested. I think next time I'll definitely be heading out to Boston Bar, when I do I'll post of that!

caddisguy
10-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I acutally went up above Britannia Mine since a few of my buddies bailed and we wanted to go somewhere close by. We hiked up for 9kms and didnt see a single grouse, although a few mtn bikers told us there was a small flock of 3 they saw a month ago near the bridge past the 6km mark if anyone is interested. I think next time I'll definitely be heading out to Boston Bar, when I do I'll post of that!

Getting out on the trail, hiking... watching, listening. Sounds like a great day. Keep covering those gravel roads and grassy trails, looking ahead and off to the sides, listening for movement. Some are stupid, but often these guys can be smarter than some give credit for. Some flush at 40 yards, others at 20. Others seem so confident in their camo or distracted that you can walk right up to them. I have also found the ones that spot you and become still, as you move in, if they start walking... you have about 3 seconds to shoot it--unless you have a shotgun--because it is about to flush. It almost seems like sometimes forget they can fly, momentarily. Tough hunting around them around here, but I hope you get a chance to turn a few inside out this season.

What arrow do you plan on using? I was thinking a blunt would be ideal. I might get a bow and practice for next season so I can get out there in BOS... even during rifle season, a bow would be great for taking grouse along the way without firing off the 22/410 and spooking deer.

HIGHRPM
10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
I have never heard of a willow grouse before, as subspecies or on its own ? I am a former prairie boy and all we had was Ruffies and Sharptails.

caddisguy
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
I have never heard of a willow grouse before, as subspecies or on its own ? I am a former prairie boy and all we had was Ruffies and Sharptails.

Those are actually ptarmigan. Same family as grouse, but still a different species.

1/2 slam
10-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Those are actually ptarmigan. Same family as grouse, but still a different species.

No around here (BC) the willow grouse is actually a Ruffed grouse (another name for them) Willow ptarmigan are a different species that are sometimes called willow grouse.

kian
10-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Anyone is interested to go for Ruffed Grouse hunting? I am new to BC, but I am experienced in hunting. I live downtown and I am off until the end of October. I dont have an SUV, but have driven my Civic for pas years in Novascotia. Please send me an e-mail so we can go for small game hunting.

bambi slayer
11-30-2013, 09:35 PM
i have got lots of grouse up around lillooet lake

Sofa King
11-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Anyone is interested to go for Ruffed Grouse hunting? I am new to BC, but I am experienced in hunting. I live downtown and I am off until the end of October. I dont have an SUV, but have driven my Civic for pas years in Novascotia. Please send me an e-mail so we can go for small game hunting.

downtown where?