PDA

View Full Version : Christian Valley this weekend

mamm7215
10-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Taking the family on our annual October long weekend camping/hunting trip. Pretty stoked as it's my 15 year olds first hunt. Used to hunt in there all the time, haven't been back for about 5 years. Always used to get our deer there, just wondering if anyone's been there recently/this year. Seen many deer? Grouse? Usually hunt mid-valley, 25-45k and side roads. Last time we were there, the CO told us to look out for crime, apparently thieves from North Okanagan like to come down and rip off hunting camps for fuel and propane, likely for meth labs...that's what he told us anyways. In all the years I hunted there, never had an issue but apparently it's on the rise... In any case, just hoping some folks here have some feedback. Much appreciated...

sparkymacker
10-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Not what is used to be unfortunately, deer numbers have gone down as traffic has steadily increased.

RiverOtter
10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Did a day hunt down there a couple weeks ago, the lower mainland was well represented........:-D

takla1
10-08-2013, 05:10 PM
got 3 deer in two days in there 2 yrs back then went in last yr and didn't see a doe in 6 days of hunting.when they opened up w-t doe in there the area got hit hard.

GoatGuy
10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
It will be busy and you'll need to get off the road and sit if you're chasing WT's. Once the pressure turns up they know where to go to stay away from the hunters and in that place that is away from the road. :-D

VanIslandGuy
10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
My brother and I are planning on hunting in that area as well this weekend and into next week. Thanks for the tip on the looters, pretty sad that we have to worry about that crap. We've been told to hunt all sorts of areas, including Rock Creek, Christian Valley Branch Roads and so on. I plan on getting up as high as possible and then going for a good hike. Wish you guys all the best of luck this weekend and wouldn't be surprised if we cross paths at some point. Cheers!

mamm7215
10-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Good luck! Yeah, I'm hoping we see a few anyways...I know the wife is excited about going, as is my son but I'm sure the WT doe opening last year would have been a free for all and now that the season is a month old, who knows...still any buck or wt doe should hopefully see something to shoot...

GoatGuy
10-09-2013, 11:28 AM
My brother and I are planning on hunting in that area as well this weekend and into next week. Thanks for the tip on the looters, pretty sad that we have to worry about that crap. We've been told to hunt all sorts of areas, including Rock Creek, Christian Valley Branch Roads and so on. I plan on getting up as high as possible and then going for a good hike. Wish you guys all the best of luck this weekend and wouldn't be surprised if we cross paths at some point. Cheers!

Most of the mule deer will push south around this week making the high country either phenomenal or devoid of life.

Find the out of the way spots for wt's ---- use the river as a natural 'hunter barrier'. Most of the best spots for wt's are the same spots the crowd drives by on their way to the top of the mountain.

mamm7215
10-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Well that describes our "usual" areas there perfectly so maybe we'll nail a couple...

GoatGuy
10-09-2013, 02:10 PM
best of luck

mamm7215
10-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks! It's a freezer trip, trophy's are bonuses...

domyalex
10-09-2013, 05:30 PM
We were there mid Sept (was really, really hot) and in 5 days we saw ~15 grouse (got 8), and ~6 deer, but only does and fawns :(

knockturnal
10-09-2013, 06:13 PM
i rolled through there today. Lots of people camped out for the whitetail doe opener im guessing. Saw maybe a dozen deer. All does, mixed bag.

Amphibious
10-09-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm sure you'll have a good time, but IMO, the Christian Valley is THE place to avoid on October long. So busy you'd think it was still summer vacation. Keep your kit locked down, lots of dirtbags in the bush all through the Okanagan lately.

Elkaholic1977
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Dont waste your time the game is not there anymore. go north to cherryville!

VanIslandGuy
10-09-2013, 08:26 PM
No Cherryville for me but thanks. Not looking forward to all the traffic although in the valley. Time for a good hike. And yes, I'd agree to stay low by the rivers to maybe get a buck but I'd rather hike high to where the old and stinky big bucks hide. Good Luck to everyone this weekend!

Crimson Viking
10-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Was there last week. Very few bucks, three of us saw 4 in a week ( no shot on 3 and i let a 4inch spike walk) A few wt does as well. Lots of bunnies , few coyotes ( one dog in the bag) and a wolf was in the area too. Very few grouse. Weather was crazy, snow, hail, rain , wind, sun, cold and warm.

pete_k
10-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Could always try the west side of 33 just South of Beaverdell. Tuzo Road. I've had good luck in there punching WT and Mule tags every year. (except for one year)
Don't know what it's like now however. We moved to PG in 2011.
That whole area is great. Have a good trip!

twinpeaks3
10-10-2013, 05:16 PM
got 3 deer in two days in there 2 yrs back then went in last yr and didn't see a doe in 6 days of hunting.when they opened up w-t doe in there the area got hit hard.

Apperently there was one hell of a preseason slauter in their last year by a certain nation that claims to be first acording to a CO I talked to. Fact or fiction just what I heard from a few different sources. I didnt waist my time going.

RiverOtter
10-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Apperently there was one hell of a preseason slauter in their last year by a certain nation that claims to be first acording to a CO I talked to. Fact or fiction just what I heard from a few different sources. I didnt waist my time going.

They didn't stop at deer, calf elk and moose were well represented as well........

Found their hoof pile and it were quite sumtin...........

Dean bell
10-14-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm headed up there next week how did ur family do ? Much game moving around

stuffrider147
10-14-2013, 10:11 PM
While heading home, Right before Osoyoos there was a CO checkpoint. Saw a bull elk being handled by one of the COs in his truck.