PDA

View Full Version : Bison hunting Liard 42 57 B

Bvdh1979
10-08-2013, 08:55 AM
We got the draw and are feveriously planning and trying to get all our ducks in a row. We are hoping someone who has any first hand information could lend a hand, there are so many threads and forums out there but very few seem to be about area B. We are honestly not the richest hunters out there so trying to do this on cheaper side of things. We have secured a decently priced cabin, (with Helgie I believe his name is, he said he cut the road to bypass the trespass fee) and are looking to rent some quads in Quesnel, and are pondering a guide, this seems to be the biggest expense and I was wondering, I know they have local knowledge and such but have many people had successful hunts without? Our draw is for the end of the month, and I was hoping someone could sorta pass along some experiences good or bad, if bad please PM rather then air dirty laundry on the thread. Also possible my last question, what did you do for processing? Self butchered? Or taken to a local shop? Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Brian.

Qwest Coast
10-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Ya can anyone shed some light on the "trespass tax" they have up in the Pink Mountain area? Some lottery winners have done so without a huge budget. Hunting should be inclusive!

cheers,

John.

Rob
10-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Im heading up Jan 5th and have booked a cabin at Pink Mtn ranch. The Fee is $200 for me(tag holder) and $150 for my buddy(helper). I assume you are going in the next month or so? In January there should be enough snow to by-pass the ranch but Helgie was booked and our other option was to stay in town, so we decided to stay on the ranch to make things easier. Didnt know Helgie cut a road, you still may have issues crossing the river if it isnt frozen. I would pay the fee but NOT the guide fee(if your trying to keep costs down.) there will be other hunters up there you will end up conversing with other hunters so locating where the bison shouldnt be a huge mystery. As far as processing goes were bringing some sharp knives and a chain saw. Biggest thing is to get the hide off to cool, If your renting quads can you rent/borrow a small trailer to haul behind? good luck!

bighornbob
10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
The Tress pass fee is only for the "A zone " side. There is no trespass fee for the B Zone. In the B zone you take the main road off the highway and its about 17km to the gate and the vehicle access. This gate is at old air strip and a lot of hunters camp there. From the gate its another about 20 km to the Guide/outfitters place. Although bison can be found right at the gate, for the most part the bison hunting does not start till you are at the outfitters place. Like I said you can drive a truck to the gate, from there its quad or snowmobile only. If you take a quad, you are only allowed to go 400m off of the road, so you are limited to basically 2 roads and 400m on either side of them. If you take a sled, then the whole area is open too you.

There is a steep hill between the highway and the gate that you will most likely need chains to get up it. Although there are cheaper places to stay on the highway, I chose to stay at the outfitters place to avoid the hill everyday, loading and unloading the quad at the gate and then another 20 km by quad to get to the bison. The outfitters was only a bit more money and all your meals are included. Also all the hunters staying there hang out in the lodge and have their meals together so everyone talks and you learn where other guys are seeing bison.

Hope this helps you out.

BHB

Bvdh1979
10-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Thank everyone for the information and private messages, it is all helpful, please keep them coming it is really helping in getting prepared. Cheers, Brian.