PDA

View Full Version : white moose shot

Cami
10-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Heard yesterday while i was cleaning my tuck that a white moose was shot on the radio.
Anyone else heard anything about it?
Sounded like someone got him self the animal of a lifetime but also a lot of trouble with the local Native group.
I hope they get to enjoy it for a long time - saying a home goes : "when you shoot a white animal you die in the same year"

300H&H
10-08-2013, 08:47 AM
I have seen pics of a local white cow moose with one white and one brown calf.

There is something in the regs that says it is illegal to shoot white bears and one other animal. Which one ?

Cami
10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
here is a link
http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/shooting-of-rare-white-moose-angers-first-nations-communities-1.1487524

abbyfireguy
10-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Might be unethical in Nova Scotia but not illegal. It would be interesting to see the BC regs...Myself, I would never shoot a white moose. I just hope I would be able to get the camera out and focus quick enough for some pictures.
My hands would be shaking so much the pics would probably look terrible,LOL!

Not what the hunting community in Canada needs right now with all the antis slamming us every time they can as they snorf down their beef and chicken burgers at McD's!!

Bowzone_Mikey
10-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Not Illegal ... whats the problem??? ... when I see a moose, white or otherwise I see Food on my dinner table

since the hunt happened in Nova Scotia and not BC ... perhaps a mod could move this thread to the appropiate area ... instead of confusing people who dont take time to read the whole thread and associated stories

MFERGIE
10-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Sick and tired of ethnic groups who can't and "don't" play by our Canadian "written rules" but expect other cultures to follow their "un-written rules!" What our hunting community doesn't need is this CTV hype over a legal hunter playing by the "written Canadian rules." It's been said too many times on here and often threads get locked and members get ridiculed for speaking their minds about equality in Canada. Thankfully it was a white moose and not a black or red moose...I can see the headlines now...

Yours truly,
Proud, Canadian, White, Hunter, that plays by the rules :)

Blainer
10-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Take the time to read the comments below.
http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/shooting-...ties-1.1487524 (http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/shooting-of-rare-white-moose-angers-first-nations-communities-1.1487524)
First nation comment "may you be plagued with sickness and may the spirits haunt you in your dreams so no sleep comes"

Read more: http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/shooting-of-rare-white-moose-angers-first-nations-communities-1.1487524#ixzz2hApTUnSg

wtf? makes me ill
Well,I hope your cheque never comes!

skibum
10-08-2013, 11:26 AM
If I had a choice I would not take it. But I like the meat and I say the same thing about every dink mulie I have shot.

As a trophy I would have not shot it (I have no problem with someone else shooting it for a trophy). If seeing no other "meat" moose I would have taken it.

randymac
10-08-2013, 11:49 AM
My friends pet rats escaped the other day. Does this mean I can't set traps for these spirit rats?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
I bet it tastes the same as a brown moose.

Ya, those comments are off the charts.

SSS

#1fishslayer
10-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Well that opens a can of worms.....think of the money thats already been spent on this story. White moose are cool..but a two point white moose would be cooler lol. I would pass myself.

Spy
10-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I would pass on shooting a white moose. Would love to show my kids a "live" white moose, that would be special. Im sure Im not alone in my thinking. If its legal its fair game! Wonder what a White moose full mount would go for on the open market?

snowhunter
10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
There is one at the Fort Nelson Private Museum, as well as a cow moose scull with one antler.

Ltbullken
10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
The other other OTHER white meat. If it's not illegal, stop pouring pi** into other people's cheerrios.

Besides, its a genetic trait that should be purged from the population. A white moose is at a disafvantage due to its poor camoflage so it is more likley to be predated. SO remove the genetic disadvantage from the population to make the species stronger!!

Grousedaddy
10-08-2013, 02:52 PM
100% legal but i would pass on it ..

psyclops
10-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I saw an old western once where they were shooting buffalo like crazy, then they saw this white buffalo and shot it and everyone killed each other over its valuable hide by the end of the movie I think, and at the end a native got it and just put it up in a tree to rot as an offering to the gods or whatnot.. I don't think it was white buffalo with Charles Bronson but I cant figure out what it was. It was a good movie. I think it might be this one> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049432/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Cami
10-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Psyclops
Are you thinking of this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp17j-fQkWE

limit time
10-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I ain't racist! Color doesn't matter to me!

solo
10-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Yum, white moose for dinner!

Sleep Robber
10-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Seen one once back in the 90's walking across a frozen lake up in MU 7, it was pretty cool to see, the thought of shooting it didn't even register {probably because it was a cow}, but I'd like to think I would have passed anyways had it been legal at the time.

Rubicon500
10-08-2013, 07:02 PM
I'd shoot it , make a hell of a story , good eats and great taxidermy !
Soon ppl are gonna be claiming dall sheep are albino stone sheep that bread with other albinos lol

limit time
10-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I'd shoot it , make a hell of a story , good eats and great taxidermy !
Soon ppl are gonna be claiming dall sheep are albino stone sheep that bread with other albinos lol
STOP DONT SHOOT....its a Spirit moose!!

hare_assassin
10-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd debate in my mind whether to shoot it or not, and miss the opportunity.

Later I would regret it.

Ozone
10-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Hmmm, feed my family or piss off people that I don't give a shit about, hmmm

Papa Sasquatch
10-08-2013, 07:18 PM
White Moose! To treat it differently would be discrimination!
Peal the skin off and eat it. White Moose, Taste like chicken :^)

Buckmeister
10-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how many "spirit" cows are slaughtered at the beef feedlot and then sent to McD's???

Caveman
10-09-2013, 01:30 AM
The other white meat

wicket
10-09-2013, 02:47 PM
2 recessive genes, one from the bull the other from the cow that lined up...nothing more. no bad karma, no voodoo, no plague of locusts. I just can't understand why the legal harvest of an animal that is phenotypically different than the "norm" causes so many to get so worked up. Like some others have said, most animals in the wild that have white expressed aren't even seen by humans because they are culled by predators. But then you don't see the predators that ate them most likely because they die the same year they ate the white thing.....where is my rolling eye smiley...:roll: ah there he is

Sofa King
10-09-2013, 02:51 PM
it's hard enough just to find a legal moose these days.
I don't care if it was glowing green, if it's legal, it's going down.

huntcoop
10-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I wanna shoot a Kermode, good eating and would make for a wicked mount.

russm
10-09-2013, 03:37 PM
It's be racist to only shoot the brown moose, it's all about equality these days isn't it?

Buckmeister
10-09-2013, 08:17 PM
It's be racist to only shoot the brown moose, it's all about equality these days isn't it?

Hmmm, so maybe what we have here is an issue of racism with some "white" supremecy thrown in.

aggiehunter
10-09-2013, 09:47 PM
..finally something white getting a break...

Downtown
10-09-2013, 10:15 PM
The other other OTHER white meat. If it's not illegal, stop pouring pi** into other people's cheerrios.

Besides, its a genetic trait that should be purged from the population. A white moose is at a disafvantage due to its poor camoflage so it is more likley to be predated. SO remove the genetic disadvantage from the population to make the species stronger!!

Thumps up --------well spoken.

Pemby_mess
10-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Sick and tired of ethnic groups who can't and "don't" play by our Canadian "written rules" but expect other cultures to follow their "un-written rules!" What our hunting community doesn't need is this CTV hype over a legal hunter playing by the "written Canadian rules." It's been said too many times on here and often threads get locked and members get ridiculed for speaking their minds about equality in Canada. Thankfully it was a white moose and not a black or red moose...I can see the headlines now...

Yours truly,
Proud, Canadian, White, Hunter, that plays by the rules :)

It seems to me, the hunting community in Canada isn't being done any favors by those that can't keep their racially prejudiced overtones to themselves.

A) Native groups aren't "ethnic" as you are using the term. You are!
B) "Written rules" are always preceded by "unwritten rules". The laws are, in theory, the culmination of society's negotiated guidelines for behavior. Therefore, what you're witnessing in the shooting of a white moose and the associated media hype, is Canaadian society's negotiation in action.
c) The rules can and do, and will change. If you're under 50 years of age and you hope to continue both "playing by the rules" and hunting, everyone better figure out a way to set a good example and create a fantastic image for hunters. If that means not shooting relatively rare, white, animals, so be it. The ethnic groups you speak of, soon will no longer be minorities in Canada and they will be negotiating against many your interests; ie: they'll be the ones making the rules. In fact, they already are.

Pemby_mess
10-09-2013, 11:11 PM

This, of course, is a very, very good point. It's a pity that the mainstream media can't capture another perspective to initiate a little debate. Seems they consider their purpose as either stoking witch hunts with nearly every story or constantly shilling industry.

Although I do wonder, how such an animal reached such size and maturity if it is indeed fact that it contributes negatively to the gene pool. So, can anybody on here, think of a situation where a white moose may have an advantage? I certainly can - genetics, evolution and such isn't as straightforward as many seem to think. Diversity has great advantages in the long term health and survival of a species, even if a particular trait doesn't benefit a particular individual.

Hint for the question - (how did dall sheep get to be the way they are? What was occurring in their environment to which they are specialized?)

MFERGIE
10-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Well Pemby it seems to me that the hunting community should voice their opinions openly and without fear of discrimination from their fellow hunters. Congrats to the hunters that were lucky enough to harvest a moose for the freezer and even luckier it was such an awesome once in a lifetime trophy! It's too bad an incredible hunting experience like this gets crapped on with all the media hype and native slander....the comments made by the native community where this moose was harvested is about as prejudice as it gets! What else is legal to harvest that I should think twice about putting in my freezer for fear of ticking natives or anyone else off? It's legal for a reason!
Thanks for coming out and supporting your hunting community lol

limit time
10-10-2013, 06:30 AM
This, of course, is a very, very good point. It's a pity that the mainstream media can't capture another perspective to initiate a little debate. Seems they consider their purpose as either stoking witch hunts with nearly every story or constantly shilling industry.

Although I do wonder, how such an animal reached such size and maturity if it is indeed fact that it contributes negatively to the gene pool. So, can anybody on here, think of a situation where a white moose may have an advantage? I certainly can - genetics, evolution and such isn't as straightforward as many seem to think. Diversity has great advantages in the long term health and survival of a species, even if a particular trait doesn't benefit a particular individual.

Hint for the question - (how did dall sheep get to be the way they are? What was occurring in their environment to which they are specialized?)
Humping brothers and sisters for years and years (inbred)?

Pemby_mess
10-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Perhaps they were humping their brothers and sisters for years in isolation, yes. That would perhaps, be the initiation for the genitic mutation, But there seems to be a good reason why dall sheep experienced success with this particular trait while the other subspecies of sheep did not.

Pemby_mess
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Well Pemby it seems to me that the hunting community should voice their opinions openly and without fear of discrimination from their fellow hunters.

I agree, and that's what I'm doing. How else would a chain of thought evolve? However, I don't expect everyone around me to keep quiet when I voice opinions or assumptions that are demonstrably false. Is that what you're asking me to do?

Congrats to the hunters that were lucky enough to harvest a moose for the freezer and even luckier it was such an awesome once in a lifetime trophy!

I agree - congratulations to the successful hunters! What a beautiful animal, they should be proud.

It's too bad an incredible hunting experience like this gets crapped on with all the media hype and native slander....the comments made by the native community where this moose was harvested is about as prejudice as it gets!

Now, I've looked at the ctv segment and read some of the comments, and here's where I have trouble following you: I don't see prejudice in any of the comments made by the mi'kmaq. In fact, to the contrary, it seems that they explain their concerns quite well, in a way that appeals to the media, and by default, the public at large. What I find too bad, is the media didn't think to ask the hunters that harvested the moose about their perspective. Or maybe they did?

There is something to be said for being publicly tactful and diplomatic when raising your voice.

Its legal for a reason!

Ok, what reason is that?

MFERGIE
10-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Glad we agree for the most part Pemby, obviously my post rubbed you the wrong way but freedom of speech is what it is.

Caribou_lou
10-10-2013, 08:00 PM
To my knowledge there are no native clans or tribes named after white animals. So how can they be spiritual to their culture?

Pemby_mess
10-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Glad we agree for the most part Pemby, obviously my post rubbed you the wrong way but freedom of speech is what it is.

It's you complaining about free speech, not me. Go re-read your original post.

I was simply using you as my whipping boy to point out some fallacies that seem commonly held on this board and contributing my opinion. It hardly rubs me the wrong way; I've heard them all before. It's very unoriginal.

The Dawg
10-10-2013, 09:51 PM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10/enhanced/webdr01/9/11/anigif_enhanced-buzz-31225-1381333786-0.gif

Pemby_mess
10-10-2013, 09:57 PM
To my knowledge there are no native clans or tribes named after white animals. So how can they be spiritual to their culture?

Is it so inconceivable? Reverence for white animals is pretty much a global, cultural phenomenon.

Buhddists: white elephant
lakota Indians: white buffalo
tsimshian FN: white bear
celts and Hungarians: white stag
Hindu: white horse
christians: white dove

Theyre all mythological symbols for various ways of looking at things. Whether they were traditionally protected from death, I can't be sure, but I know at least some of them certainly were.

Getbent
10-11-2013, 06:59 AM
BANG....flop...nuff said!!

Blainer
10-11-2013, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=Pemby_mess;1394645]

Now, I've looked at the ctv segment and read some of the comments, and here's where I have trouble following you: I don't see prejudice in any of the comments made by the mi'kmaq. In fact, to the contrary, it seems that they explain their concerns quite well, in a way that appeals to the media, and by default, the public at large. What I find too bad, is the media didn't think to ask the hunters that harvested the moose about their perspective. Or maybe they did?

There is something to be said for being publicly tactful and diplomatic when raising your voice.

First nation comment "may you be plagued with sickness and may the spirits haunt you in your dreams so no sleep comes"
wtf?

10-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Albino animals result from mutations to the genes that produce melanin. Nothing more. Their special significance exists only in the minds of people. Would I shoot one? Probably not, but only because I would want to avoid the shitstorm that would ensue from the judgments of people who never let science and logic get in the way of their emotions.

biggyun68
10-11-2013, 07:39 AM
There is snow for over six moths in many parts of the Maritimes and at least 50% of the foliage is deciduous (IE just sticks in winter): So the lack of camouflage argument stated earlier is really not applicable all the time and therefore the argument is not valid. Indeed when there is snow on the ground the moose are more vulnerable to predators especially humans.

I would probably pass on the Moose however I have the luxury of the supermarket: It would have been nice to hear from the hunters: And if this was a legally taken animal I am fore supporting the hunters: If this is truly something that needs to be preserved moderate the relevant acts that's what government is for.

Pemby_mess you forgot about the white raven, white rhino, white cats (snow cats and Siamese)there indeed is an association with most cultures that White is good and Black is bad: (just saying no opinion or hidden meaning)Scottish culture is one of the few that hold "dark" or black as lucky:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Albino animals result from mutations to the genes that produce melanin. Nothing more. Their special significance exists only in the minds of people. Would I shoot one? Probably not, but only because I would want to avoid the shitstorm that would ensue from the judgments of people who never let science and logic get in the way of their emotions.

Exactly. "Myth"ological or spiritial creatures were put on a pedastal long before science was around. Science has logical explanations for pretty much everything.
At least those are MY beliefs.

SSS

Pemby_mess
10-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Exactly. "Myth"ological or spiritial creatures were put on a pedastal long before science was around. Science has logical explanations for pretty much everything.
At least those are MY beliefs.

SSS

"myth is not simply a collection of stories permanently fixed to a particular time and place in history, but an ongoing social practice within every society."

There is much modern science can't answer, and that's where our modern mythology will fill in the gaps. Modern science and mythology can quite easily intertwine, making it indescernible to those indoctrinated.

In the public schools, science is generally taught as a set of compartmentalized answers to be memorized, formalized, and finally regurgitated. True science is a set of questions and guesses with a way of qualifying, and quantifying your observed experience attempting to answer them. It's a very fluid process.

Ancient and tribal mythology are stories woven around symbols and metaphor to describe the real, observed interactions of people and themselves, animals and people or other animals, and the way of the universe as a whole. Unless you believe that modern western culture has all the answers, knows everything every other culture, past or present knows, this mythology is significant to our understanding of the world. Perspective is everything sometimes.

In the interest of separating science and myth, it might be useful to point out that there is a significant difference between an 'albino' and "leucistic" animal. I believe the moose here is leucistic rather than albino.

MFERGIE
10-11-2013, 07:37 PM
QUOTE=Pemby_mess;1395031]It's you complaining about free speech, not me. Go re-read your original post.

I was simply using you as my whipping boy to point out some fallacies that seem commonly held on this board and contributing my opinion. It hardly rubs me the wrong way; I've heard them all before. It's very unoriginal.[/QUOTE]

Snug your glasses up Professor Pemby and re-read my original post. As far as "fallicies commonly held on this board," there are plently of credible folks behind the posts that have seen these "fallicies" occurring on a regular basis. Many credible people saying the same thing is a whole lot more fact than fallacy. Interested to hear what these common fallacies are? Whip away Professor.

All animals are a part of Native culture. Although I respect other cultures I do not have to believe in them or follow their spiritual beliefs. Should I worry about harvesting a "legal" animal for fear of receiving a phone call from a native band office wishing to send my moose off for a "proper burial"...turning my dinner into a another story about "Trophy hunting?" That's plain n simple nuts!

warnniklz
12-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Little update

http://www.griffinsguide.com/?p=56616

adriaticum
12-20-2013, 02:52 PM
just take a can of white paint and create another sacred animal

russm
12-20-2013, 03:37 PM
When I was little I remember my dad had found an injured white crow and brought it home to nurse it back to health, would it have been a "spirit crow" , if I remember correctly he gave it to a petting zoo in a new west park, I'll try to find the picture of it.

The Silent Stalker
12-20-2013, 03:49 PM
It's a beauty Moose, I'd have taken the shot with no hesitation.

log_roller
12-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Just a moose to me big deal

M.Dean
12-20-2013, 07:48 PM
If Moose are so rare in that area that these guys had to shoot the White One for there winters meat, maybe there shouldn't be a Moose Season there at all until more Black ones are seen? Would I shoot a White Moose, Deer or Bear for meat??? I consider myself a little better Hunter than that!