PDA

View Full Version : butt out 2

v-king
10-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Do you guys use it? Does it eliminate cutting around the anus?

warnniklz
10-07-2013, 11:06 PM
I use the stink finger unless I'm going gutless

The Dawg
10-07-2013, 11:46 PM
I use the stink finger unless I'm going gutless

We are still talking about animals here, right?

itsy bitsy xj
10-07-2013, 11:50 PM
hahahaha That made me laugh

itsy bitsy xj
10-07-2013, 11:51 PM
I've got one but never had the chance to use it YET

Mikey Rafiki
10-08-2013, 03:51 AM
No, I take pride in my old fashioned butthole removal.

BearSupreme
10-08-2013, 06:30 AM
Im pretty sure you would still have to cut out the butt, it just makes it easier to hold on to. Hunters should be happy to cut out an ass or two, that means they got something.

hare_assassin
10-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Im pretty sure you would still have to cut out the butt, it just makes it easier to hold on to. Hunters should be happy to cut out an ass or two, that means they got something.

The point of the Butt Out is that it completely eliminates the chances of poop in the cavity and at the same time makes "cutting the butt out" fast and easy.

Stick the tool in, give it a few turns till it grips, give it another 1/2 turn and then slowly pull out about 8" of anal canal. Then tie it off tightly and cut off the excess.

Once that is done, you can just gut it as normal, but when you get down to the bottom end the anal canal just slides right out. You don't even need to split the pelvis.

I've done it both ways; with the Butt Out 2 and without it. The Butt Out 2 works exactly as advertised and I honestly believe it is worth the small size and light weight to have it in your pack. On the other hand, I think it is a really good idea to know how to do it without this tool in case you lose it or forget to bring it. When I shot my recent deer, I realized I didn't have the Butt Out with me. I was glad I knew the traditional method (which worked fine but took longer and was more effort).

huntcoop
10-08-2013, 08:27 AM
I'd be more concerned about the bladder than a few nuggets hitting my meat.

Muliechaser
10-08-2013, 08:42 AM

It all comes put in one peice. Anus bladder and all that.
I dont tie the poop chute at all. Cut open roll on side make 8 or so cuts roll gut out . Cut bowel just below bladder . Insert filet knife atound anus ,follow the bone . And pull anus bladder and existing remains out of pelvic cavity into chest cavity and done. But out is a waste of money and time. Just carry a filet knife at least 8inches long

Mc

Muliechaser
10-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Especially if u dont have any water on hand lol

warnniklz
10-08-2013, 05:33 PM

I wanna say yes... but I can't

hare_assassin
10-08-2013, 05:47 PM
It all comes put in one peice. Anus bladder and all that.
I dont tie the poop chute at all. Cut open roll on side make 8 or so cuts roll gut out . Cut bowel just below bladder . Insert filet knife atound anus ,follow the bone . And pull anus bladder and existing remains out of pelvic cavity into chest cavity and done. But out is a waste of money and time. Just carry a filet knife at least 8inches long

Mc

To each their own. It costs $14 and takes less than 1 minute to use, and it is re-usable and lightweight.

I've done it both ways several times and if given the choice (in other words, if I don't forget to bring it) I would use the Butt Out every time.

kurtl
05-28-2014, 06:49 PM
As I've never hunted big game yet, and I was wondering if anyone has tried the butt out tool on a black bear? It's advertised to be useful for bear too, but any video I've seen, it always seems to be getting used on a deer.

To me this looks like a useful tool, and for less than 15 dollars, I don't see why anyone wouldn't try it?

6pt_elk_wannabe
05-28-2014, 08:36 PM
I've used it on 6 deer now and it works great, just remember to bring some string along with you to tie it off.

Riverwalker
05-28-2014, 08:55 PM
I used a Butt Out II on a deer last year. It was the first big game animal I have shot and having this tool made things quick and easy. No string, just tie the anus in a knot. Bering a rookie hunter out by myself and never having seen the whole gutting process for real. The entire process including butchering was pretty simple. ( after 100 YouTube videos)

I will be getting another as I have since lost the first one.

hoochie
05-28-2014, 09:52 PM
I have one, works good. I just leave it in there until everything is removed from the animal, then I pull the plug out.

treehugger
05-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I used it on 2 deer and an elk last year. The elk took a few more spins to grip as the bung was a little.... looser. Having not used one for years and then using one! Holy sh*t! no pun intended... buy yourself a butt out and you'll never look back! I think the difference between the original and the buttout II is the poop shield on II.. ahh, innovation.

treehugger
05-28-2014, 10:00 PM
I have one, works good. I just leave it in there until everything is removed from the animal, then I pull the plug out.

I think you're doin' it wrong.

hoochie
05-28-2014, 10:44 PM
^^ why? poop doesn't come out

kurtl
05-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Either way I will still buy one. Still no one out there that has used it on bear?

hoochie
05-28-2014, 10:48 PM
I don't eat bear, but I would have to figure that a butt is a butt.

paulo
05-28-2014, 10:50 PM
3 deer, and two bears and I know how to do the old fashioned way as well. Hands down the but out saves time, is lightweight, reusable and you don't have 8 inches of sharp steel lying around were it could stab you or cut you.

hare_assassin
05-28-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't eat bear, but I would have to figure that a butt is a butt.

True. However not quite suitable for hares.

:mrgreen:

Wild one
05-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Buddy has one and in my opinion it is a waste. By the time he digs it out of his pack I have the job done with a knife.

Each to their own but to me it is packing an extra tool I don't need to do a job that is already easy and fast.

Stresd
05-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Over the years having done well over 100 animals the traditional way as I always get stuck with the asss end at kill sites. In the neighbourhood of ten to fifteen using the Buttout. Having used it on Moose, Elk, Deer, Sheep, and goat.There is in my mind no comparision with the ease, speed, and cleanliness. The Buttout tool is by far the bestest way and is always with me when hunting.

Gateholio
05-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Sounds like it works well, but I use the gutless method. Very rare that I gut an animal in the field. I thought the Butt Out looked silly, but obviously those that use it think it's a good tool, and that is all that matters.

carnivore
05-29-2014, 09:47 AM
3 deer, and two bears and I know how to do the old fashioned way as well. Hands down the but out saves time, is lightweight, reusable and you don't have 8 inches of sharp steel lying around were it could stab you or cut you.
I agree that sharp blades lying around can be dangerous. You should also be careful not to leave the Butt Out lying around because you might slip and fall on it butt first and that would be painful!! Especially the extraction.:mrgreen:

marcus44
05-29-2014, 09:48 AM
I used both methods last year, the first with a knife - which I nicked the bladder, instantly washed out with water, then the 2nd with with Butt out tool - no nicks or anything, everything came out smooth and clean. Definitely a great item to have in my hunting bag

Glenny
05-29-2014, 09:59 AM
I cringed when I saw that in the store.

Philcott
05-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Are some of you saying the butt out pulls the bladder out? I thought the idea was to pull some of the anus out and then tie it off, cut out the excess and when gutting the rest of the anus would come out with the innards. How and when dies the bladder come into play with the buttout tool?

LYKTOHUNT
05-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Are some of you saying the butt out pulls the bladder out? I thought the idea was to pull some of the anus out and then tie it off, cut out the excess and when gutting the rest of the anus would come out with the innards. How and when dies the bladder come into play with the buttout tool?
I would also like to know the answer on this, I cant see how a full bladder would come out the same way, it does not seem like it would fit

hare_assassin
05-29-2014, 11:23 AM

No. The Butt Out eliminates (or at least drastically reduces) the risk of cutting the bladder open with your knife. With the traditional method, as you may well know, there is always a risk of a knife slip resulting in urine (and/or feces) inside the cavity.

Add me to the list of people who find it to be an excellent tool. Cheap, lightweight, easy to pack, easy to use, clean, etc. What's not to like?

I have not used one on a bear, but I would not hesitate (if I ever shoot a bear, that is :) )

srupp
05-29-2014, 11:33 AM
it works well and I use it..
Srupp

angus5024
05-29-2014, 05:14 PM
I have used it on four bears and 5 or so deer. They work very well. They speed up the process, protect from bad cuts as well as make the whole process a little less yucky.

longstonec
05-29-2014, 05:45 PM
If they made one that doubled as a spoon I bet the ultralight hunters would snap it up. Everybody knows what a "spork" is... half spoon half fork.

I would call it a "Poon" Or i guess they could have a fork version aka "pork" or poo fork.

Stresd
05-29-2014, 06:00 PM
If they made one that doubled as a spoon I bet the ultralight hunters would snap it up. Everybody knows what a "spork" is... half spoon half fork.

I would call it a "Poon" Or i guess they could have a fork version aka "pork" or poo fork.

I use mine for mixing Mountain House meals. I think a well used Buttout adds to the flavour.:-)

longstonec
05-29-2014, 06:11 PM
I use mine for mixing Mountain House meals. I think a well used Buttout adds to the flavour.:-)

Makes sense! Just like a good cast iron pan! Its mostly plants anyways.

landphil
05-29-2014, 07:45 PM
I cringed when I saw that in the adult store.

No doubt.

I suspect they work alright for bear, we found one (freshly used) last fall beside a fresh bear gutpile, and the guy's jacket with 30-06 shells in the pocket. I wonder if he ever returned for his stuff, but it looked like he got himself a dandy bear.

Chopper
05-29-2014, 08:38 PM
My GF squeals like an infant when i bust it out

dougal
06-01-2014, 11:33 PM
Personally I was given one awhile back as a semi gag gift for Christmas. Used it a few times works well and a zap strap or a pair of forceps works just fine to sinch off the ugly bits. Moreover I use it just because of the wild and painfull looks of my hunting partners as she pops in and twists ..... Just something about the whole situation makes them cringe every time.

walnutz
06-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Used mine a few times and thinks its great!