PDA

View Full Version : Harris bipod "Spike Antlers" ?

snowhunter
10-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Expecting a long shot while hunting the open country during this month "any mulie buck" opening, I mounted the b-ipod on my 300 Winchester.

Then I got the idea that when I looked at the "Harris" bipod when it was down and in firing position, it kind of looked liked long spike antlers when I turned the rifle upside down, and being eager to test this optic illusion on deer, which I did not have to wait long before I run into a surprised doe, which stopped and appeared to be confused for some seconds when I lifted the rifle up and upside down to my head level and gently tipping and moving the "spike antlers". This doe clearly took an extra look at me and "my antlers" before taking off, which would have given me enough time to shoot it, if it had been legal to bag it.

I will do further study of the confusing effects of these "spike antler "on deer. I am told that some hunters bring real antlers while hunting, in order to confuse and attract deer and moose by lifting and moving "their" antlers ?

lovemywinchester
10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
During any buck? Not a good idea, you will get shot.

snowhunter
10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I believe that other hunters can tell the difference between a buck and a man lifting a rifle upside down ?

landphil
10-07-2013, 07:28 PM
I believe that other hunters can tell the difference between a buck and a man lifting a rifle upside down ?
You have more faith in your fellow man than I do.

lovemywinchester
10-07-2013, 07:28 PM

A guy was shot last year sitting on his quad, a RED honda I think. The shooter thought he was a buffalo. It was a HBC ers Dad if i remember correctly. Don't push your luck.

redthorn
10-07-2013, 08:46 PM
This doe clearly took an extra look at me and "my antlers" before taking off, which would have given me enough time to shoot it, if it had been legal to bag it.

It might give you a few extra seconds, but I'm not sure how accuracy be if you are holding it on top of your head. espescially in an open country long shot. :-D

snowhunter
10-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Well, there difference between the long range shoot where the use of the Harris bipod is an advantage, also render the use of these fake antler, due to the distance, useless, and where you also have the advantage of the stealth and ample time to indentify your target before puling the trigger.

However, while stalking and surprising a deer, which most of the time immediately takes off, a combination of whistling and then showing the fake Harris bipod "antlers" did stop the deer, which appeared to take an extra look at me and "my antlers" before moving on, and thus gave me enough time to take shot at i, if I had to.

warnniklz
10-23-2013, 09:00 PM
I've heard of people putting their rifle across their shoulders and sauntering through herds of does to get a better shot at a buck. Key would to not sneak in like a predator and avoid eye contact.

sarnold
10-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I think the members of hbc are being tested to see how stupid we really are......you f)$&in kidding right? Hold a gun over your head to get an extra second to shot something....your a hell of a better shot than me for one.... But like previously mentioned for how long remains to be seen!

boxhitch
10-23-2013, 09:19 PM
The idea of decoying antlers for moose is old , but for deer ? Time to start some marketing

Gateholio
10-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Shouldn't this be in some ridiculous humor thread rather than the hunting forum ?

sawmill
10-24-2013, 06:29 AM
I have had great results by exposing myself and hooting like a great horned owl.Confuses the hell out of deer.
Don`t do it in the bar when you are drunk and showing how you got that great buck though.Did you know that they don`t give you breakfast in jail anymore?Thought I would starve before they cut me loose.

Glassman
10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Ok, So let me get this straight. I'm holding/balancing the rifle upside down with the bipod legs sticking up. Now,, I'm not the most muscular guy and so the rifle will end up actually sitting on my head. Correct me if I am wrong, but,,,,, won't there be a hell-of-a bang on the top of my head after I squeeze the trigger? There's not a lot of hair on the top of my head and so I can imagine that there will a lot less as it scalps a straight line from front to back. But then I was thinking, won't the scope be completly lodged into my forehead? Not sure which is less painfull.
So I was wondering if someone could let me know which is less painfull, scope in forehead or scopecaps ripping thru top of head from front to back leaving a nice half inch groove?

snowhunter
10-24-2013, 03:54 PM
I know what you need :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVWLHMZ-ceE

Wade
10-24-2013, 03:55 PM
I have heard of biologists useing their hands as ears when they do deer counts, they say it calms the deer down

dingdongdenny
10-24-2013, 05:18 PM
hold these maybe work better then you could use you gun to shot properly
http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/6c01409d8bec19e4d75e7e09d58d0dfa13070d.pjpg

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 05:27 PM
well just to let you guys know dont howl like a wolf at deer they run away real fast!!!

monasheemountainman
10-24-2013, 05:31 PM
hmmm that's a new idea, I hope this is a joke thread. wait, how did you figure this out again?

Wade
10-24-2013, 05:42 PM
hmmm that's a new idea, I hope this is a joke thread. wait, how did you figure this out again?
Next time you see a deer while you're out scouting try useing your hands as ears and act like your not really paying much attention to the deer.... It does calm them and they seem curious

Jim Prawn
10-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Use a doe call, any time of year. Most often they will hang around longer and even stop after starting to run away. Works for bucks and does.
JP

monasheemountainman
10-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Next time you see a deer while you're out scouting try useing your hands as ears and act like your not really paying much attention to the deer.... It does calm them and they seem curious

K but that's a little different then walking around with an upside down gun on your head lol

snowhunter
10-25-2013, 05:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQyK8JX0IUU

I have seen other Youtube clips using semilar stunts, using arms as "antlers", which fools and brings the moose very close up.

I will try to use my hands as "ears" next time I encounter deer.

However, when spooking a deer, I noticed that it did stop for few seconds to check out my Harris bipod "Antlers", which are long enough for a quick shoot at it.

Big Lew
10-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Deer are very curious, so as long as they don't think they're in imminent danger, they will sometimes stick around either to keep you in sight, or out of curiosity, so doing, or using something to draw their attention can work. My Dad and I used to hunt a timbered and rocky ridge surrounded by open sagebrush that often had bucks bedded for the day. We could see them (usually just their racks) with binoculars from about 600-700 yds away. There was no way to approach them without being seen, so we would slowly walk at a steady pace at an angle as if we were going past the ridge abutment where the bucks would watch us. We gauged the angle to put us just within range at the nearest point. It worked quite well. My Dad got a couple of real bruisers from that ridge.