PDA

View Full Version : Good mushroom book

sapper
10-07-2013, 06:54 PM
My niece's husband is Italian and his uncle loves hunting for mushrooms. This weekend in region 8 I saw many different types and quantities of mushrooms. I love the idea (obviously) of picking or harvesting my food from the wild but I'm also really freaked out about picking some mushrooms and getting some crazy paralyzing result. Can anyone recommend a definitive guide book for recognizing mushrooms in BC?

Opinionated Ol Phart
10-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Nobody???? Inquiring minds want to know!!

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Most comprehensive

http://www.amazon.ca/Mushrooms-Demystified-David-Arora/dp/0898151694

Plincker
10-07-2013, 08:38 PM
This is the best book I have come across: All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushroomsby: David Arora

It's got good pictures and has all the mushrooms found in the Pacific NW. Don't judge it based off the guy on the cover, he looks like he's had one to many psychedelic shrooms!

sapper
10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll pick one (or both) of these up and try not to kill myself. :-)

albravo2
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
can't go wrong with chantrelles around here. i'd never found an edible mushroom in my life but someone pointed out chantrelles to me this year and now i see them every day. delicious!!!

no underbrush, a sprinkling of moss in the shadow of a fir or hemlock and you should be smelling the garlic and butter.

David
10-07-2013, 10:14 PM
A large poster is usually better than a book - easier to see what they look like and the posters I have (yes, am a Mushroom nerd) generally display all the varietals (i.e. white, yellow, blue chanterelles).

There's really less than a dozen decent eating mushrooms in BC:
Chanterelle (Finfirli)
Boletus (Porcini)
Morel
Hawkwing
Pine
Lobster
Brain/Coral

There's more that's edible (i.e. Shaggy Manes - never understood why people would willingly eat those things).

Couldn't tell you what's in region 8 unfortunately.

ru rancher
10-07-2013, 10:24 PM
you dont like shaggy manes?? my dad and brother love them pic every one they see and fry them up with butter and some grouse if we happen to shot any on that trip

Mikey Rafiki
10-08-2013, 04:06 AM
I love me some shaggy's too. The young buttons are amazing.

Don't forget about all the 10 pound puffballs too...

I'm out in Quebec right now and just discovered a nice patch of shaggy parasols. Did a spore print test to make sure, then ate one yesterday to confirm no negative reactions. The rest will be picked and eaten today.

Web by
10-08-2013, 05:57 AM
When venturing into mushroom picking I was told it was best to have 2 books to reference from. Being able to cross reference gives a high degree of confidence with identification.

hare_assassin
10-08-2013, 07:18 AM
When venturing into mushroom picking I was told it was best to have 2 books to reference from. Being able to cross reference gives a high degree of confidence with identification.

Good idea. Here's another one to put on the pile: http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-Society-American-Mushrooms/dp/0394519922

I love it. It has a fantastic identification system built into it.

Seriously considering getting the app http://www.audubonguides.com/field-guides/mushroom-identification-app.html

happyhunter
10-08-2013, 07:49 AM
can't go wrong with chantrelles around here. i'd never found an edible mushroom in my life but someone pointed out chantrelles to me this year and now i see them every day. delicious!!!

no underbrush, a sprinkling of moss in the shadow of a fir or hemlock and you should be smelling the garlic and butter.

Chanterelles are great but make sure you are picking chanterelles and not the look-a-like jack-o-lantern which is deadly. Obviously since u haven't poisoned yourself you've found the right mushroom but this message is for others so they can be aware that even with chanterelles you have to have a 100% positive ID before eating.