PDA

View Full Version : road hunter headaches

dino
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I would road hunt myself if I ever saw any decent animals that way and if I did I would never block off an area with my truck thinking that this is my area because I was here first. On Saturday I was on my way to an area with my ten year old nephew when I was roadblocked out by a jeep waiting for daylight parked on a single lane bridge.it was clear he thought that this was his area. I was still about 6km from my destination so driving behind a roadhunter at a snails pace is not my idea of burning up valuable time. After I pressured him off the bridge it was clear he was looking for a confrontation. I have nothing against road hunters but my style of hunting should not be affected by yours and vise versa. Am I out of line on this or is he.

Fella
10-07-2013, 04:34 PM
He's a d-bag for blocking what sounds like a big area.

hunter1993ap
10-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I would have done the same thing as you, and if he didn't move there would have been a confrontation. but sounds like things worked out well.

bigmuley
10-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I mean if I was road hunting, I wouldn't block the whole bridge off. but if I was driving a road that I was hunting and new I would see deer and some guy was tailing me hard. I would not let him go by.

DLP
10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
i usually pull up and have a chat, state my intentions. if he has a reasonable motive for blocking road then i would consider not proceeding. if its a main road that leads to many other areas, it is not reasonable for him to block it at all. its all about perspective and intention in my mind, communication.

when i was stalking my moose last month, i was interrupted by a quader who came within 200yards of 'us' (me and moose). the noise and lights of the quad had no affect after it passed by. moose stuck around and so did i. i think a truck passing wouldnt be much different in similar circumstances. but what do i know.

Gateholio
10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Blocking a bridge is not cool. He's a douche.

hunter1993ap
10-07-2013, 04:44 PM
like said earlier when I'm on a road I am looking for critters but I have a destination in mind and am normally not wasting much time. if someone wont pull over I get pissed pretty quick. thankfully most people don't mind pulling over. if a dead end road it doesn't bother me as much if a guy wont pull over, I just turn around.

Marlin375
10-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I mean if I was road hunting, I wouldn't block the whole bridge off. but if I was driving a road that I was hunting and new I would see deer and some guy was tailing me hard. I would not let him go by.

Just how is it that you "know you are going to see deer"? ............same way you know the guy behind you isnt trying to get to his excavator to get a days work in.

frenchbar
10-07-2013, 04:48 PM
!
wouldn't let me by eh ...just hope you don't pull that f@$king stunt with me ...i'd make your trip a miserable one for ya ! simple as that!!!!!

REMINGTON JIM
10-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Let people go by if they want to ! its no more yours then theres and that's just the way it is on public used roads ! Ya need to Share ! :wink: JMO RJ

And what if he's a logger of forest tech on his way to work?
Really, I would let him by or speed up. I don't road hunt, but if I did I can't imagine it being all that much fun with somebody tailgating me.

monasheemountainman
if you are road hunting you have to expect to get interrupted, if you don't like it, don't road hunt.

pnbrock
10-07-2013, 05:03 PM
had a guy like that moose hunting years back ,finally we just pulled over and saved the fuel.after shooting the shit for a while i nasked my partner if he was gonna shoot the bull walking up to truck .:)

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 05:06 PM
I would carry flint lock pistols, throw a glove in his face and challenge him to a duel.
I guess it's only gentlemanly.

I would talk to the guy before assuming anything and see what his plans are.
Maybe there is a compromise.

coach
10-07-2013, 05:07 PM
if you are road hunting you have to expect to get interrupted, if you don't like it, don't road hunt.

Dino wasn't road hunting. He was trying to get to where he wanted to start hiking from.

Sounds like the guy was being a jerk - best way to handle it may have been to walk up to him on the bridge and discuss your plan, his plan and how you could both get to do what you wanted.

sky-gunner
10-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah, public land, you cant be blocking the road, I could see if it was into a landing or a slash that was isolated, and said road was only way in, that to me seems ok. But if it was a main road that had any access to other areas that's bullshit. Personally I think any problem should first be approached with respect and conversation, however this does not always work, so its always a good idea to carry a decent tow rope.

monasheemountainman
10-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Dino wasn't road hunting. He was trying to get to where he wanted to start hiking from.

Sounds like the guy was being a jerk - best way to handle it may have been to walk up to him on the bridge and discuss your plan, his plan and how you could both get to do what you wanted.
ya I know, my comment was for the guy who blocked the road on him, and anyone else who blocks roads.

hare_assassin
10-07-2013, 05:19 PM
He's a twat.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
As per Section 2 of the Forest Service Road Use Regulation of the BC Forest and Range Practices Act, it is unlawful to obstruct traffic on ANY FSR or road permit. In other words, unless you are parked at a terminal landing, you are obligated to let someone by if you are parked and blocking the road. Of course, it is a harder case to make if you are creeping along very slowly and not letting people by, but if you see something you want to shoot while doing this, it essentially becomes a race with the guy behind you to see who can close the deal quicker. Conditions like that are certainly not how I would choose to shoot an animal. Best to stop and have a conversation and a better option is bound to emerge.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/70_2004

Big Lew
10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I road hunt as well as hike. Many times I've had asshats aggressively race up behind me, but as soon as I let them by they begin slowly road hunting themselves....some people are just pricks. When someone comes up behind me I pull over as soon as safe and let them by, wait until they're well ahead of me, and then continue along, often taking whatever split in the road or side road they don't. You'd be surprised how many animals I've been a party to shooting just after someone else has driven by.
The very first buck my youngest brother shot was just after another bunch of hunters driving toward us had passed. I could see their brake lights behind me after my brother shot. I shot my first moose after I drove a few hundred yards up a side road, turned around, and then half way back there were two big bulls just standing there beside the road.

PointMan
10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
I do a bit of it all, some road hunting, some hiking and a little sit and wait (but not much because I'm too impatient to sit still very long), but I would NEVER intentionally block a road, unless it's a safety concern. If that's the reason, I make sure to let the oncoming driver know, if he still wants to proceed, his choice. Sometimes it's hard to get off the road right away, but you do as soon as you can. Just my take on it.

IBTL

MooseKnuckle
10-07-2013, 05:39 PM
This crap happened to me a fews years ago, I had been out walking all morning, got back to the truck started driving out, off one spur onto another when I caught up to a guy on a quad I was close enough for him to know I wanted to pass but I was not riding his ass or anything, he kept looking back at me making faces, I realized after a few minutes he wasn't going to let me pass he began blocking the rd at any wider passable spots!! and for the record this spur rd was the one and only rd outta the bush and back onto the main fsr rd this is happening leaving the bush!! I said f@#K this, next wide spot I passed fast and this guys yelling as I go bye, I am pissed right off by now so I stopped..... can you believe this guy is flipping out about how I am ruining his hunt by following him so close and how I should have pulled over and waited because he was obviously hunting the rd. This F@#$%@# actually thought that I should not be allowed to drive out of the bush until he was done hunting the rd At this point I explained to him how badly he needed an ass kicking and informed him that I was more than willing to provide him with one immediately. he backed down and shut up and off I went on my way home.
I had a great hike that morning but after that bs I was pissed off for the rest of the day, I still cant believe that guy pulled that crap. I hike lots but I road hunt with my kids too, when we are rd hunting and someone wants to pass we just pull over let em pass, wait a few minutes and off we go, the bush belongs to everyone

.300WSMImpact!
10-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Blocking a bridge is not cool. He's a douche.

or from Kelowna

frenchbar
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
probably a member on hbc ..lol

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Nice way to ruin a guy's hunt.
To go for a hike.
Even nicer to go hiking where guys are shooting.
Yes you have a right to go for a hike anywhere you like.
Yes he has the right to shoot anywhere where it's legal.
If you get shot by a ricochet or something, whose fault is it?

1. Maybe you should talk to him and see where he is going and do him a favour by avoiding the area he is hunting.
2. Nothing I like more than those guys who get in my ass when they want to pass. I always have a can of Campbell's chunky beef stew to share with them.

E.V.B.H.
10-07-2013, 05:52 PM

I would continue to follow you with my hand on the horn until you pull over. Same for the guy on a bridge, try to talk first and then lay on the horn, even if it takes five or ten min. I hate these stupid games. Never understood why anyone would want someone following them all day. Do you really think if you saw something and got out they would let you shoot it? I would be spooking anything you saw.

I always try to talk to people first because quite often you were not going to interfere with each other anyway, but some people can't be reasoned with.

dino
10-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I always try to communicate first with other hunters out of common respect but when I sped up beside him to talk he would take it as an aggressive move so he would accelerate faster. Life is to short to get confrontational.

E.V.B.H.
10-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Nice way to ruin a guy's hunt.
To go for a hike.
Even nicer to go hiking where guys are shooting.
Yes you have a right to go for a hike anywhere you like.
Yes he has the right to shoot anywhere where it's legal.
If you get shot by a ricochet or something, whose fault is it?

1. Maybe you should talk to him and see where he is going and do him a favour by avoiding the area he is hunting.
2. Nothing I like more than those guys who get in my ass when they want to pass. I always have a can of Campbell's chunky beef stew to share with them.

Good way to catch a "ricochet or something"

So you would risk wrecking someone's truck and possibly causing an accident to defend something you have no right to do? Nice.

E.V.B.H.
10-07-2013, 06:01 PM
I always try to communicate first with other hunters out of common respect but when I sped up beside him to talk he would take it as an aggressive move so he would accelerate faster. Life is to short to get confrontational.

In reality I usually turn around, I don't generally like confrontation either. But it helps to calm me to think about what you could do:twisted:

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Good way to catch a "ricochet or something"

So you would risk wrecking someone's truck and possibly causing an accident to defend something you have no right to do? Nice.

No that's not what I said.
I just hinted that it's not a good idea to go for a hike in an area where guys are hunting.
Especially since we have so many great areas to hike.
In a battle between you and a stray bullet, you won't win.

E.V.B.H.
10-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I think it's fair to assume when he was hiking he was hunting. You did say you throw soup...I assume you probably wouldn't really.

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 06:06 PM
I think it's fair to assume when he was hiking he was hunting. You did say you throw soup...I assume you probably wouldn't really.

Well, I didn't assume that. He said hiking and that's what I took it as.
Hey next time you get too close to the car in front think about the soup ;)

coach
10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I just hinted that it's not a good idea to go for a hike in an area where guys are hunting.

So nobody should hunt on foot? I'm confused?

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 06:10 PM
So nobody should hunt on foot? I'm confused?

No, I think the fella was just hiking.
Perhaps I am confused.

Davey Crockett
10-07-2013, 06:16 PM
I would continue to follow you with my hand on the horn until you pull over. Same for the guy on a bridge, try to talk first and then lay on the horn, even if it takes five or ten min. I hate these stupid games. Never understood why anyone would want someone following them all day. Do you really think if you saw something and got out they would let you shoot it? I would be spooking anything you saw.

I always try to talk to people first because quite often you were not going to interfere with each other anyway, but some people can't be reasoned with.

Amen brother.
I can't count how many times i have run into this on mainlines where i just want to get somewhere. I won't hold it against you if you want to hunt from your truck, quad etc but people have got to realize that roads are for driving. If you choose to hunt from them, be respectful of traffic.

Davey Crockett
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM

I agree. I can't understand why people would knowingly go for a hike where others were hunting. Not safe and not courteous.

E.V.B.H.
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Perhaps I am confused.

It it sounds like it. This is a hunting site:wink:

coach
10-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I agree. I can't understand why people would knowingly go for a hike where others were hunting. Not safe and not courteous.

The OP was hunting!

With regard to hikers (or others using the back country): if it's a concern maybe we should think twice about hunting where people are known to be hiking, mountain biking, etc

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
The OP was hunting!

With regard to hikers (or others using the back country): if it's a concern maybe we should think twice about hunting where people are known to be hiking, mountain biking, etc

Yes but not the guy who I was replying to.
Unfortunately he posted some characters that make it impossible to reply and include a QUOTE in the post.
(software bug)

dino
10-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Perhaps I am confused.

I am a hunter that likes to still hunt and getting to and from my spots I will run into road hunters that don't want me to pass them. I think that some road hunters think that their style of hunting is everybody's style so they don't like people passing. I always try to communicate first so not to piss them off but that means you need to speed up and do the roll down your window hand movement thing. This guy just thought I was trying to pass.
On another note Ive met a couple of hbcers that way, they recognize my name and are always polite. Its how I met the infamous "jeff". He was cool and let me pass then contacted me on here.

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 06:36 PM
I am a hunter that likes to still hunt and getting to and from my spots I will run into road hunters that don't want me to pass them. I think that some road hunters think that their style of hunting is everybody's style so they don't like people passing. I always try to communicate first so not to piss them off but that means you need to speed up and do the roll down your window hand movement thing. This guy just thought I was trying to pass.
On another note Ive met a couple of hbcers that way, they recognize my name and are always polite. Its how I met the infamous "jeff". He was cool and let me pass then contacted me on here.

My reply wasn't to you actually.
You did the right thing IMO!

dougal
10-07-2013, 06:40 PM
So this seems to be a continuing issue in the great wide wilderness . You would figure doing some basic arbutrary math that with an estimated 100000 hunters in bc call it a ball park of 4.5 million ppl in the provence theres an estimated 95 million hectares that leaves 21 hectares per person flat out now theres only a vauge feeling that my basic estimations and poor spelling cant be too far off the fact that most if not almost all the hunters i have happend to meet out in the great out doors have been polite and freindly "if not bostfull on the huge deer they just saw " now seeing as a small percentage of the actual residants of bc hunt that leaves the one or two absolute @§§ hats who think they deserve the roads bush and trees of this beautifull land as there own personal playground
there are some great people out there but theres also a heap of absolute dips who will ruin basicly anything. i have also had people cut me off driven in the middle of the road, driven into an area im hunting in and stoped to glass over my back just to get THERE deer .....I personaly just laugh it off ...... if some moron wants to pass me i just let them and wait five then carry on to the place i plan on hiking and exploring ..... im not in the buisness of acting the hero or intimidating some dip $#!t who thinks he/she is special and more important than me. i spend way to much time not hunting so when i get out there i do my best to simply enjoy the experience and get everything i can out of my time hunting ...... and just so those in my hunting party feel left in theres 273 hours and 29 min remaining

GoatGuy
10-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Was headed in to a spot last weekend, same sort of deal. Probably 6 kms of putt, putt, putt, block the road, don't let anyone by. We were headed up to hike in and would have been doing 9.0 otherwise.

Unfortunately, had his kid with 'em..... teaching them bad habits already. Oh well.

dana
10-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Numerous times I've had hunters not willing to pull over when we have been in a crew cab loaded up going to work. I wonder how they would feel if I went to their workplaces and restricted them from doing their job?

Whonnock Boy
10-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Almost everyone these days has a cell phone or camera that records videos. Spark it up, point if forward, and explain the situation while recording. A window mount works great for this. If you have a situation where it becomes a face to face, explain your intentions to the fellow hunter, and if he still denies you, point the camera in his face and explain to him that he is interfering with a lawful hunt, and you will be forwarding the vid to the CO's.

MooseKnuckle
10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Adriaticum I think you are referring to my post, sorry your right it did sound like I was out hiking along the road but no I was parked at the end of a deadend spur I arrived while it was still very dark, I had been out hunting on foot all morning nowhere near any soupcan throwing rd hunters lol I had finished my hunt, returned to my truck and was driving home, came up behind a guy on a mainline out of the bush, I was not looking for trouble or to ruin his hunt, I did not race up behind him and freak him out, I was just driving out with no interest in waiting for him to road hunt the next 18km. If he had pulled over to talk instead of block the road I would have said a quick hello and pointed him in the direction of a few much more productive and quieter roads to hunt, I am in the bush almost everyday during hunting season and have met many many great people but this guy was just a jerk.
Becareful with your soupcans!!!!

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Adriaticum I think you are referring to my post, sorry your right it did sound like I was out hiking along the road but no I was parked at the end of a deadend spur I arrived while it was still very dark, I had been out hunting on foot all morning nowhere near any soupcan throwing rd hunters lol I had finished my hunt, returned to my truck and was driving home, came up behind a guy on a mainline out of the bush, I was not looking for trouble or to ruin his hunt, I did not race up behind him and freak him out, I was just driving out with no interest in waiting for him to road hunt the next 18km. If he had pulled over to talk instead of block the road I would have said a quick hello and pointed him in the direction of a few much more productive and quieter roads to hunt, I am in the bush almost everyday during hunting season and have met many many great people but this guy was just a jerk.
Becareful with your soupcans!!!!

Right, sorry I misinterpreted your post.
I thought you were just happily hiking the hills where they hunt with a water bottle in one hand and a granola bar in the other :)

brutus
10-07-2013, 07:41 PM
the joys of road hunting lol,that's almost as bad as the natives putting up a blockade lmao

Drillbit
10-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I can't wait for somebody to block a road on me.

I have a "free" accident on deck with icbc and am willing to use it

Cyrus
10-07-2013, 08:07 PM
dick move...be nice to have a 76 ford with a bush bumper and winch...ripping it off the road would be a nice reminder for losers like that. Are these guys who do this not worried about coming back and finding there vehicles vandalized or tires flat? I know I would be worried if I pulled a stunt like that...

Quantafer
10-07-2013, 08:40 PM
This is a twist on this topic slightly....

My buddy and I were sitting in this dead end cut block, well off any main FSR this past Sunday. The quad was parked right at the start of the block. So these ass clowns coming roaring into the middle of the cutblock and stop about 100m past our quads. They glass for 5 seconds, crack a beer and start chitchating. I was ready to ****ing lose it at this point, luckily my hunting partner calmed me down, before it got ugly.

Next time I intend to park and block off the cutblock if I am planning on sitting it for an extended period.

What are your thoughts?

steff
10-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Absolute NOT cool for blocking a public road - this is the wrong style of a hunter in my view! He was probably not a real Hunter- maybe a an "undercover - vegetarian- activist "

Looking_4_Jerky
10-07-2013, 08:57 PM
See my earlier post. While I am somewhat sympathetic, if you block that road anywhere before the landing at the end of the road permit (doesn't matter if it's a retired or active one), you are actually the one contravening the law. Basically, if you don't want road traffic to ruin your hunt, you need to get away from a road - that includes small road permits entering blocks.

BuckEye
10-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Up the 2400 FSR outside of Quesnel a few weeks back. Way to much activity to stay in the area but noted a new grey 5th wheel planted squarely in the middle of a FSR spur road entrance about 14km up.. No truck, quad parked out front and looked to be completely blocking an area. Possibly a gold claim, but looked way to fresh compared to the other prospecting sites we found.. Just another reason to depart the area. As for Cyrus comments above .....valid. I sure as hell would not be comfortable leaving my rig and gear in a remote area pulling an ass hat move like that. If you have a legitimate legal reason to restrict access, legally post it well and OK. If you restrict access for your own personal hunting agenda, you are inviting a negative response from those that may also frequent the area.

Big Lew
10-07-2013, 09:26 PM
I used to ride my horse while hunting up Blue Mountain on the east side of Alouette Lake during the 60's. Although there was a locked gate at the base of the mountain, many other hunters had keys, so I would prominently post a sign advising anyone that I was in there, and specifically which area I would be in. Never had any incidents, or anyone bother me....don't know if doing something similar when hunting a small cut block would work today....any thoughts?

#1fishslayer
10-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Ya wouldn't really like that much. I would like to think id be calm.....and suggest he get the @#&% out of the way. I always pull over and have respect for whoever it is behind my road hunting ass lol

.300WSMImpact!
10-07-2013, 09:52 PM

My buddy and I were sitting in this dead end cut block, well off any main FSR this past Sunday. The quad was parked right at the start of the block. So these ass clowns coming roaring into the middle of the cutblock and stop about 100m past our quads. They glass for 5 seconds, crack a beer and start chitchating. I was ready to ****ing lose it at this point, luckily my hunting partner calmed me down, before it got ugly.

Next time I intend to park and block off the cutblock if I am planning on sitting it for an extended period.

What are your thoughts?

welcome to kelowna hunting, the other day I parked at the end of a 2km road I hiked up to the top of the ridge that over looked the road I walked in on, in four hours I had two quads one truck and three groups of two people walk in bugling and cow calling, all had to pass my truck, just another day in the okanagon hunting, learn to use other people to pressure the animals to where you are sitting

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 09:59 PM

What are your thoughts?

so, your plan is to become one of those assholes that piss you off?

REMINGTON JIM
10-07-2013, 10:07 PM
When you come across someone else hunting a area turn around and go somewhere else theres lots of other areas to hunt and if he has got there before you maybe get up and get at it earlier next time ! :wink: JMO RJ

REMINGTON JIM
10-07-2013, 10:09 PM
welcome to kelowna hunting, the other day I parked at the end of a 2km road I hiked up to the top of the ridge that over looked the road I walked in on, in four hours I had two quads one truck and three groups of two people walk in bugling and cow calling, all had to pass my truck, just another day in the okanagon hunting, learn to use other people to pressure the animals to where you are sitting

SMART thinkin there 300WSM Impact - thats the way to do it NO trouble for you ! and you got there first too ! :wink: RJ

Whonnock Boy
10-07-2013, 10:15 PM
I used to ride my horse while hunting up Blue Mountain on the east side of Alouette Lake during the 60's. Although there was a locked gate at the base of the mountain, many other hunters had keys, so I would prominently post a sign advising anyone that I was in there, and specifically which area I would be in. Never had any incidents, or anyone bother me....don't know if doing something similar when hunting a small cut block would work today....any thoughts?
It would be great if this was possible however, I am sure there would be people out there that would "post" their little hidey holes, and leave the note there in hopes that no one would go in there while they were not.

Marlin375
10-07-2013, 10:16 PM

What are your thoughts?

so what makes the two assclowns sitting on the road having a beer any different then the two sitting in the bush watching them. I have driven by hundreds of parked quads and trucks going in and out of my fave spots, never once did I assume that I knew where the owner was, he could be 2 kms away for all I know but I would never assume he was only 200yrds away ........why not just sit in a perfectly good truck.......you are not giving the deer enough credit.

As others have said if you don't want to see people driving around on the road (or to the end of the road) GET AWAY FROM THE ROAD, hunt deactivated blocks, or the timber above them.

Jagermeister
10-07-2013, 10:23 PM
.............................http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrOnEuLJy9NF9HN--eXsLx5TD0PkRm0GW-PxnFT6pthG4zMGToQi0YJassqg

Quantafer
10-07-2013, 10:45 PM
so what makes the two assclowns sitting on the road having a beer any different then the two sitting in the bush watching them. I have driven by hundreds of parked quads and trucks going in and out of my fave spots, never once did I assume that I knew where the owner was, he could be 2 kms away for all I know but I would never assume he was only 200yrds away ........why not just sit in a perfectly good truck.......you are not giving the deer enough credit.

As others have said if you don't want to see people driving around on the road (or to the end of the road) GET AWAY FROM THE ROAD, hunt deactivated blocks, or the timber above them.

Remington nailed it. Why would you intentionally hunt a block that someone else is hunting? Ya it's both of your favorite spots for a reason. Common courtesy would suggest, he was there first so let him have it for now.

Guess it's not so common anymore...

Quantafer
10-07-2013, 10:59 PM

Remington nailed it. Why would you intentionally hunt a block that someone else is hunting? Ya it's both of your favorite spots for a reason. Common courtesy would suggest, he was there first so let him have it for now.

Guess it's not so common anymore...

Marlin375
10-07-2013, 11:30 PM
If you can see it from the road, leave it for the road hunters. Road hunting is about a good set of eyes, shithouse luck and being able to capitalize on it.
If you want to put your still hunting skills, your boots and your pack full of gear to the test for heavens sake at least get far enough from the road that road hunters are not going to bother you . Do you honestly think that everyone out in the woods is hunting, and should respect your objectives and they are all mind readers. I was in the Kootneys 2 weeks ago and I ran into way more mushroom pickers than hunters. If I had turned around for every parked quad or beat-up truck I saw it would have been a pretty short trip.

Go over the hill, hunt the hidden side of the block, there are a ton of options but don't get pissed because someone is minding their own business driving around on a public road you are going to go grey way to early.

happyhunter
10-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Don't block roads, even if it dead ends in a bit. Other people may not know that and they are just hoping to get to a landing to turn around on. Nobody wants to back down a few kms because some asshole hasn't left enough room to turn around.

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Don't block roads, even if it dead ends in a bit. Other people may not know that and they are just hoping to get to a landing to turn around on. Nobody wants to back down a few kms because some asshole hasn't left enough room to turn around.

exactly.
trucks that block areas deserve to have their tires slashed.
"I am in no way condoning such actions" just sayin'.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-08-2013, 11:57 AM
After reading this thread, I've now determined that my new hunting vehicle is going to be a tow truck:wink:.

Can't be too prepared.

SSS

Drillbit
10-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Just crawl under it and slip the transfer case into Neutral. They'll never figure that one out.

GoatGuy
10-08-2013, 12:31 PM

What are your thoughts?

Would expect to see hunters if sitting in a cutblock with road access.

adriaticum
10-08-2013, 12:37 PM
After reading this thread, I've now determined that my new hunting vehicle is going to be a tow truck:wink:.

Can't be too prepared.

SSS

Tank would be better. You could go more places with it

Cookie1965
10-08-2013, 01:30 PM
I was out with my 12 year old daughter last weekend, for her first time hunting. We did some walking and some road hunting and at one point a truck came up behind us so I pulled over. The driver asked me for directions, we spoke a bit, and he pulled past with a friendly wave. A few minutes later I come around the corner and that b#%&@*d is picking up my daughters grouse off the road. Seriously! There oughta be a law!

adriaticum
10-08-2013, 01:32 PM
How did you daughter's grouse end up on the road unattended?

skibum
10-08-2013, 01:34 PM
If I had turned around for every parked quad or beat-up truck I saw it would have been a pretty short trip.

Totally agree. I have not really had any serious problems, but come on, it is all public land. I prefer to hike. I also accept that if I am doing a quick close hunt to town, I am going to run into other hunters. Do I go into an area where someone is parked -- no, will I park back from them and hike around that area to get where I want to go -- yes (with a hunter orange hat on)

Cookie1965
10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
How did you daughter's grouse end up on the road unattended?

Yeah I'm gonna have to talk to her about keeping better track of where her stuff is, if I'd known it was just around the corner I'da blocked the damned road.

Onesock
10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
What happened to the "if someone is there ahead of me I will go elsewhere to hunt". It shouldn't be a race to hunting spots but if someone is there ahead of you better get up earlier tomorrow! This is good ethics not passing someone who is there ahead of you!

Onesock
10-08-2013, 02:27 PM
If someone is parked in a dead end cut block you wouldn't still go in would you?????????????????????

adriaticum
10-08-2013, 02:48 PM
What happened to the "if someone is there ahead of me I will go elsewhere to hunt". It shouldn't be a race to hunting spots but if someone is there ahead of you better get up earlier tomorrow! This is good ethics not passing someone who is there ahead of you!

Well that's why it's best to talk to the person and find out what they are doing.
Last weekend I hunted an area and I met one hunter who was going into it.
He stopped we chatted and discussed our plans.
He decided not to go into the area we wanted to go to a bit later.
So next morning we didn't go into the area he wanted to go and gave him first crack at it.
It all works out if you talk to people.
Unless they are aholes.

adriaticum
10-08-2013, 02:49 PM
If someone is parked in a dead end cut block you wouldn't still go in would you?????????????????????

I wouldn't.

mikeman20
10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Laying on the horn sure puts a damper on asshole road hunters that won't let you pass. Roads are for driving.
Putt along all you want, you aren't going to see shit if you're not letting me by.
That being said, if I can just turn around and go to another spot without any confrontation I will.

Onesock
10-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Your a bigger a$$hat if you lay on the horn and be confrontational in my books.

psyclops
10-08-2013, 03:15 PM
I think everyone's thinking "the guy blocking the bridge must have been from the lower mainland" lol... always giving the rest of us (respectful thoughtful people from the LML) a really bad name. Or maybe he was a hostile local, either way people need to learn to live and let live. Don't impose on the other guy just trying to get by. It's a big province, we should be able to co-exist in the wilderness.

iwing
10-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Your a bigger a$$hat if you lay on the horn and be confrontational in my books.

so you must be the guy that didnt want to get out of the way? They deserve the horn the whole way, its not confrontational at all, its a communication device and it means get out of the way. dont be ignorant, no one can prevent someone from using a road.

Onesock
10-08-2013, 03:41 PM
No it wasn't me blocking the road. But if you pull up behind someone parked on a dead end road, and you blow the horn, you would sure be proving how stupid you really are. Get out of bed in the morning buddy.

E.V.B.H.
10-08-2013, 03:59 PM
No it wasn't me blocking the road. But if you pull up behind someone parked on a dead end road, and you blow the horn, you would sure be proving how stupid you really are. Get out of bed in the morning buddy.

Who said anything about honking at someone parked on a dead end? It was stated about someone driving slowly down a road hunting it. Nothing wrong with that, but don't block people that are on their way somewhere else.

Marlin375
10-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I think everyone's thinking "the guy blocking the bridge must have been from the lower mainland" lol....

Actually my first thought was he must be from the Island....there is long and ingrained tradition of blocking roads on the rock.

dino
10-08-2013, 05:03 PM
dick move...be nice to have a 76 ford with a bush bumper and winch...ripping it off the road would be a nice reminder for losers like that. Are these guys who do this not worried about coming back and finding there vehicles vandalized or tires flat? I know I would be worried if I pulled a stunt like that...
I don't think most road hunters need to worry about their vehicles getting vandalized, especially if they never leave the vehicle. I was worried about my truck so I just hung back until we came up on a truck ahead of both of us. Karma always wins. They were a couple of French guys from maple Ridge, I told them about the road hunter ahead of me, we all laughed and asked each other where we were going as to not walk in each others footsteps. They were exhausted from hiking all week and said they were just going to road hunt for the morning then drive home. They let me pass.

Onesock
10-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Ok you want to hunt a ridge. When you get there someone elseis waiting.
For daylight to walk up the ridge. What do you do. Yell at him and go by him?

yamadirt 426
10-08-2013, 07:42 PM
take pics and post these losers. Shame the crap out of them and every will know they suck moose dong

dino
10-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Almost every area I hunt I never see so much as a footprint. If I were to see someone waiting for daylight to hunt a ridge, that would mean that Im very late or I wont usually ever hunt there again. I absolutely hate to sit on a warm toilet seat.

E.V.B.H.
10-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Personaly I don't think anybody is talking about waiting at the end of a road or where a road closure starts for first light to start walking. I think we are talking about people who block off entire road systems or putt down main roads and won't pull over.

Waiting in a landing at the end of the line or at a closure is a totally different thing. That's first come first serve. Go somewhere else quietly and respectfully.

dino
10-08-2013, 08:02 PM
take pics and post these losers. Shame the crap out of them and every will know they suck moose dong

I wrote the plate number down in case they vandalized my truck but I don't think its to cool for me to post it. Im not untouchable.

Cookie1965
10-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't always still hunt but when I do I feel superior to my road hunting self.

Little Red Man
10-08-2013, 08:40 PM
In this thread, I have seen the terms "douche" and "twat".....sounds like a personal hygiene problem to me <grin>.

Anyway, I agree with most folks....get the fack outta the way if your road hunting and someone is on yer ass trying to head somewhere else.

crazyhunter
10-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Last year some young guy decided to block a main road that took off to like 10 different cut blocks and wouldn't move after i asked him nicely so when he left his truck, I hooked up my tow rope to his $80,000 diesel and dragged it outta the way. I hike in to some areas and road hunt but I have no patience for people that have this self entitlement going on thinking its okay they can do this and get away with it. I don't care who you are its public land if you block a main road i will drag you outta the way end of story.

mikeman20
10-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Please point out where I said I would lay on the horn behind a truck parked on a dead end road.

westcoaster
10-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Dear Old Dad and I were road hunting in a new area checking things out. Heading out of a road we meet another truck, soon as that truck saw us, he slammed it in reverse, spun it around and raced off to another area..

Hour or two later we meet this joker again. He slammed it in reverse again, this time we were close enough, I mat the gas and we are racing down the road nose to nose. I guess he finally realized I could go a lot faster than him and pulled it over. We stopped, rolled down our window and chatted with him like nothing had happened. He was one pissed off dude. Face the color of his taillights. Don't think he quite knew what to make of this so he proceded on down the way we just came from...

people are funny sometimes...

Drillbit
10-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't always still hunt but when I do I feel superior to my road hunting self.

THAT, right there, is Awesome!! hahaha

curt
10-08-2013, 11:51 PM
yup guys like that are worthy of a nice hard punch in the face!!

Kudu
10-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Wow!!!!

I never have these problems while "road hunting"

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/9753c2a019444930603d0373d5bb2066_zps10e8fe7e.jpg

Buy a shot gun - ducks and geese are really a lot simpler!!!

adriaticum
10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Just you wait, he is gonna come.