PDA

View Full Version : Scent Removal products?

Tytalus
10-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Do scent removal products work in bagging an animal, or does watching the wind matter more? If anyone has a recommended product please let me know. ;)

Gateholio
10-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Wind trumps all. Don't waste your money

TheProvider
10-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Wind and don't forget the thermals

E.V.B.H.
10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Yep, marketing scam. It won't make animals not smell you, but it does remove stink from clothing though. Like a few days into a week camping trip it will mask some b.o., smoke smells etc. But this is for you and your hunting partners not the animals.

Sundance1972
10-07-2013, 06:49 PM
About the only thing I do is wash my hunting gear with unscented laundry soap and line dry, preferably outside.

jaytin
10-07-2013, 06:50 PM
They work great. Sometimes swirling winds can catch you at the worst time, Scent killer is great.. Ive never tried ozonics but wish i had it a few times in the tree stand this year..

Husky7mm
10-07-2013, 08:37 PM
There is no way to mask all of your sent. You will never do better than to stay down wind. A waste of money IMO

Weatherby Fan
10-07-2013, 08:55 PM
First rule of hunting,watch your wind......because I guarantee you the deer do,
Ive been hunting for about 30 years and have never used any store bought scent elimination products,have used some natural ones,juniper berries in my day pack,and we would throw our fleece camo in a bag with juniper at night.
Watch your wind and pay attention to your thermals and you will be fine.
WF

proguide66
10-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Go buy scent lock clothing , cover scent sprays , all kinds of urine ect , put it all on. This is what your game will smell down wind if you - your scent lock clothing , cover sprays , urine , the coffee you spilled on your hand en route to your truck , your exhaust on you from the drive and YOU - 100% guaranteed .

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Wind trumps all. Don't waste your money

this.

those products are a cash cow.
let the rich, yuppie American hunters fall for all that and the scent-blocker supercamo to top it all off.
and don't forget your scentblocker gum too.
how stinky are some people that they would really need all that?

stealth and use the wind to your advantage.

Tytalus
10-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had been told to just watch the wind, but wasn't sure. :)

Fella
10-08-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm no expert, but I have uncles who have been hunting for 50+ years, long before all the new camo and scent lok stuff was out there and they've bagged at least 1 animal every year, and have some really nice trophies. I one time asked my uncle what his strategy was when he shot his game..."Watch the wind" is what he said.

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I think the scents are really targeted at the whitetail hunters who just sit stationary in a blind or treestand.
they are more susceptible to the changing winds and thermals throughout their sit.

Jim Prawn
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Scent blockers might work great to cover up your b.o. But if you don't want to watch the wind you better be able to hold your breath for a loooong time.
JP

BrodieG
10-09-2013, 02:26 PM
You cant control the wind or the route an animal takes while your in your treestand. I use scent control spray while treestand hunting. Does it make a difference? Not sure as I havent been busted yet and even had a few deer come in on my down wind side without a clue that I was there.

Sofa King
10-09-2013, 02:37 PM
You cant control the wind or the route an animal takes while your in your treestand. I use scent control spray while treestand hunting. Does it make a difference? Not sure as I havent been busted yet and even had a few deer come in on my down wind side without a clue that I was there.

I don't use any scent cover and have had lots of deer go by when i'm in my stand.
being elevated must help a lot on its own i'm thinking.
years ago, I always sprayed myself down with scent cover and wore a scent disc, etc.
I can't really say it was any advantage.
it definitely didn't hurt any I'm sure, but was most definitely more expensive.
like many, I read all the mags and was bomboarded with all the articles preaching scent control.
I haven't used any in quite some time now, and still have no problem getting an animal or getting near them.
what I do use though, is when I've gotten to a spot that I want to sit for an extended time, I light a scent stick.
I use it as dual purpose, to bring an animal in, but to also cover myself.

BrodieG
10-09-2013, 03:01 PM
I agree being elevated has a huge part in it. I use the spray to help but watch the wind far more and wont hunt my stand in a bad wind. Scent control is meant to be more of a helping hand not a solution.

Ron.C
10-17-2013, 09:38 AM
I try to go as scent free as possible when bowhunting deer from a treestand. Wash my clothes in no-scent detergent and shower in no scent soap. No I don't think it eliminates your scent completly but I think it helps reduce it and at time may let you get away wuith a bit more then if you don't use anything.

When not stand hunting, you have to play the wind/thermals and I don't think scent products will do allot. Mostly becuase its pretty tough to keep from getting warm/sweating when mtn hunting. Yes you can get lucky but if you keep the wind in your face, the animal will not smell you regardless of how bad you stink. Backpack hunters proves this every year. In these cases, you need to be prepared and willing to back away and not push a stalk on a bad wind and better to re-position or back off all together and try again when the wind is in your favour.

Stéphane
11-08-2013, 08:38 AM
I also thought it was a gimmick but the more I read about it, the more it makes sense to reduce your smell, especially as a bow hunter sitting in a tree stand. I have been busted by smell a couple of times and they can even smell where you walked.

Camo don't make you invisible, so scent cover won't make you scent free. Just less obvious. I intend to experiment with it more this WT season.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Since you keep producing scent after using scent elinimators, the only product that works from a scientific standpoint are ozone gererators. Commerical cleaners use ozone to remove pet scents, smoke damage and other nasty scents.
I "thought" about purchasing an Ozonics....until I saw the price.

I hunt whitetails where the winds seeem to constantly change. Getting above them is the only thing that seems to help.

SSS

BlackwaterMerc
11-15-2013, 08:32 PM
They cant hurt in my opinion. I also eat an apple right before i start my hunt to help with bad breath, apples are known to reduce the bacteria in your mouth, thus cleansing your pallet and helping out that little bit extra. plus there tasty and great for you! Its been my only ritual.

Midland
11-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Watch the wind, and if you have the patience, get up in a tree....

gitnadoix
11-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Classic example of the emperor's new clothes....save your money and put it towards comfortable and quiet clothing that lets you walk farther and or quieter

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 11:37 PM
how many people smoke while hunting?
i'll bet there's lots that are silly enough to use scent-removal gimmicks then walk around puffing a butt.

Singleshotneeded
11-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Do scent removal products work in bagging an animal, or does watching the wind matter more? If anyone has a recommended product please let me know. ;)

Scent removal=scam. We are stinky critters! Spraying earth scent spray on your jacket where there aren't pines and pine scent where there are pines doesn't hurt and probably might help if the game animal is in a borderline spot wind wise in relation to you, but the by far the best option is to hunt into the breeze...and set up on the downwind side of a clear cut if you're stand hunting.