PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever used a Bipod?

NightOwl74
01-26-2007, 04:13 AM
Have you ever used a Bi-pod mounted on your rifle stock? I have been doing some research and can't decide which one to buy. Browning seems to make one that looks pretty good(see it in the Cabelas website). I'm a little dissapointed that most of them don't have a tilt feature, that is to say the ability to level the gun on uneven ground. The Browning one does. In my area(Okanagan) I need one that will allow the gun to be leveled(by tilting left or right) on the side of a hill or it's just gonna be a pain to use. Any experience or thoughts would be great. Thanks

rocksteady
01-26-2007, 05:56 AM
I have had the Harris bipod on my rifles for close to 20 years. I have quick studs on all of my rifles, so I can just swap as I feel fit.

Its the low model, 7" to 13" I believe. Stays out of the way, but boy it sure comes in handy on the long shots. I usually don't use it for anything under 200 yards

No matter which one you get (swivel or not) it takes time to get used to and eventually it becomes 2nd nature. I have never had a problem with it on sidehills etc, as I say, I use it for long shots, so that gives you time to make adjustments (hopefully)..

A great way to become familiar with using it is to find a farmer with a gopher problem, slap it on your scoped .22 and practice with it in real hunting scenarios (just a lot smaller targets). I am did the same practice last year with shooting sticks and it really helps...

Mulies
01-26-2007, 07:17 AM
I also have a harris bipod on my 338 with I hunt most of the time with. Have only taken one animal with it, a mulie two years ago at a ranged 330yds. Where I use it the most is a safe way to put my gun down when I am doing something. Not leaning it on a tree or something where it could fall over. The one thing I don't like is the springs in the bipod well rattle if it gets bumped. If you are still hunting an animal at close enough range could hear it. Hasn't cost me an animal yet, but it still bugs me.

Frango
01-26-2007, 08:44 AM
I have one on my A bolt 280. Although I have dropped a moose and a couple of elk with the gun I have not used the pod.I never had the time to set up. All the shots have been under 75 yards.I do like having it on the gun though ,just in case I need a longer shot.If you get one keep the
moving parts well oiled.

BearSniper
01-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Not yet. But I think I should get one. Looks like a good accessory to have.

Seems lots of hunters use them. I haven't needed one so far. I'm not afraid to get right down on the ground and get dirty, thus the rifle forestock is partly supported. Keeping the rifle as still and supported as possible ensures a good accurate shot.

sawmill
01-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I had the long Harris pod on my .270 and used it many times in Dawson Creek for 200+ yard shots for deer.Invaluable tool when you ain`t got a rest.

todbartell
01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
for most applications, I find the Stoney Point shooting Stix a better system, although for prone and long shots over 300 yards, a bipod is better. I just hate packing around the extra cumbersome weight

elkguide
01-26-2007, 11:09 AM
for most applications, I find the Stoney Point shooting Stix a better system, although for prone and long shots over 300 yards, a bipod is better. I just hate packing around the extra cumbersome weight I'm with bartell on this one.....The stix are deadly esspecially if you lean into a tree or something to further stabilize your upper body a bit more. But If your in the hills with long open country shots that can be taken prone or sitting go with a bipod...... I watched a fella hit a sheep at just over 530 yards with a bipod ( although a good pack works too.)

MB_Boy
01-26-2007, 11:10 AM
fI just hate packing around the extra cumbersome weight

Having never used one is the weight noticeable when you are shooting "freehand" with it on the rifle?

todbartell
01-26-2007, 11:15 AM
well it adds a pound to the weight of your rifle, all out at the end of the barrel. certainly doesnt make the rifle balance any better, unless your rifle is very butt heavy and has a light contour barrel.

Amphibious
01-26-2007, 12:03 PM
another vote for Stix, I own a bipod, but rarely take it into the feild.

srupp
01-26-2007, 12:15 PM
used one for years, harris short..6-13"...works like a charm..

steven

steel_ram
01-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Used one for a few seasons. OK for open hilly area's where the chances of a long deliberate shot are likely. Mostly I found it a hinderance and dropping my daypack and using it for a rest is better.

Think I'll try some sticks though, there high enough to get above the grass and ground cover.

johnes50
01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I bought a collapsable shooting stick this fall that doubles as a walking stick. Haven't used it, but will try it out this year. John

NightOwl74
01-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Last fall in western Alberta I was walking with an uncle into a spot that was wide open and hilly. Well to make a long story short just as dawn broke we were about half way up the 500 yard hill we wanted to get on top of(yes we were running a little late) and my uncle says, "deer straight ahead!" 2, no 3......... 2 more....... 2 more again, last ones a buck!!!!!! And man did he have a hatrack, at least a five by five and much larger bodied than the rest. They bounded across the trail, and caught by surprise, my heart was racing. Also the climb was steep so when I looked through the scope I immediately said, "I need a rest" but there was nothing to rest on. I could have had that buck if I had the bi pod or sticks and this is why I want one. But the angle was steep uphill and impossible to go prone because of the 3 foot tall grass. I guess it's just for peace of mind should this ever happen again.8)

NightOwl74
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
The Versa Pod looks good:|

Walksalot
01-27-2007, 07:15 AM
I have never used one but I have shouldered a rifle with one attached and it throws the rifle balance out of whack. I didn't like it at all.

Phil
01-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I haven't got one, but have been looking into it. As others who have posted I am concerned about the weight and balance of my rifle when not in use. I also wonder if the rifle will fit into its sleeve on my ATV with a bi-pod mounted on it.

300WM
01-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Save the hassle and go with the steady stix.

MRP
01-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I've never used a bipod on a rifle although I thought about buying one once. After thinking about it for a quite a while I've never been a place where I actually could use one or needed one. Maybe if I ever hunt the peace River country or get a chance to hunt some farmland I might give it a try but I'm probably more likely to carry a pair of shooting sticks to get above the tall grass.

dirtyharry
01-27-2007, 12:14 PM
I have both harris and the versa-pod. The harris is great but doesn't tilt, I have the high mount which works from the sitting position which allows use in longer grass.
The versa pod is a copy of the bipod used by the military and tilts. It has a base that mounts and the bipod has a detent quick release. That way you walk around with no bipod on and then if you set up in a fixed position with a long line of sit it clicks on. They come with either metal or rubber feet. It only comes in in a low mount for use in the prone or off something.

Rob

The 'Hummer'
01-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Not too long ago, in preparation for my next hunt in Alberta, I picked up and have just started practicing with a telescoping bipod, Explorer model made by Polecat. It extends from 25" to 62" and while it may take some getting used to, I'm sure it will be a real asset on longer shots in open country.

rocksteady
01-27-2007, 02:09 PM
it throws the rifle balance out of whack. I didn't like it at all.

You get used to it and it really doesnt throw the balance out that much....

Phil, depending on what you have on your quad (GunBoot- Won't fit) it may or may not....

Will
01-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Used them.......hated them on my "carry" rifles.
Even the Light Harris is a full LB of weight mounted up front that I didn't care for....always hanging up on stuff, even when folded:|
Cumbersome, always either too short (snow grass etc.) or too limited in thier range of motion......

I still use them but only on some Range Rifles and even then not so much as I shoot much better off my rest then a Bipod anyways;)

When in the field if longer shots are anticipated I'll take a pair of shooting sticks over a Bipod anyday. Far more versatile in actual field conditions, at least for me 8-)

bcmulie
01-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I used to use a B-square bipod on my model 700 in 7mm. In the six years I carried that combination I shot 14 animals, but only one of those using the bidpod. It's handy for having somewhere to rest your rifle, but for backpack hunting or where you'll be doing a lot of walking, it's not worth the extra weight. Most of the time you can shoot off your pack, especially if you normally hunt with a full size pack on. I haven't used my bipod for 3 or 4 years now. Sometimes I will take shooting sticks, which I got 2 years ago, and I have shot one animal off of them. If you really want a bipod, take a look at the snipe pod, which allows you to tilt the rifle from side to side (so that you can shoot on a sidehill) and looks more compact than the harris or b-square bipods. Hope that helps.

bcmulie

dime
02-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I shot my first moose with the harris bipod this past season, and agree that they are excellent for longer shots. I shot from 220 meters, which I would not have attempted freehand, so my guess is I would not have been successful without it.
It does make a lot of noise if you bump it against something, but for a guy like me who does not get as much practice at the range as I should, it is invaluable.

Soup
02-02-2007, 12:57 AM
I have been dragging around the Harris 6-13" for about 15 years now, when called upon, it worked better than expected...:)

Krico
02-02-2007, 08:55 AM
I put a Rockmount 13"-23" on my Tikka last year, served me quite well. Was nice when I had time to set up for a 250 yard shot on a goat, and when setting up quick to fire at my sheep. Great stabilizer when the adrenaline gets you going. It didn't bother me at all in the open, but seemed to catch on buckbrush etc. a lot in the bush and make some extra noise. To me the benefits outweighed the costs.

ruttinbuck
02-03-2007, 01:54 AM
I bought one of these snipepods last year.https://host168.ipowerweb.com/~snipepod/index2.html
6oz of weight that clips on in seconds or travels attached.I have'nt shot any animals off it yet but smacked an 18"X18" piece of steel @ 400yds at will with my 06 last season.My savage 17hmr should be here any day so it should get more use this spring.RB

hs4570
02-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Have 4 Harris Bipods....3 shorties and one "tall" one. Got the first one in 1979 and have carried one afield on every rifle while out in the woods...gives a much more stable rest than logs..coats..backpacks etc.. and carrying one extra pound of weight is only an issue with some people...

If your rifle forearm has "screw in swivel studs" replacing it ,or adding one extra with the other type that has machine threads and a nut that require a hole be drilled through the forestock and a slight counter sink in barrel channel for the nut is a better way to go.......repeated fireing over the years "off the bipod "will loosen the "screw in stud" to the point it will widen the hole and the stud will come out at an inopportune time and require redrilling and plugging the first screw hole......

Choose the bipod you like and I think its pros easily "outweigh " the cons........

...............your mileage may vary