PDA

View Full Version : What's just off the road?

sapper
10-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Another member posted a story of his very impressive whitetail buck (Congrats) and it reminded me of how on Saturday I was thinking about how many deer we drive by on our way to an area we are sure is going to produce.
It's amazing what can be just a few feet off the road. On Saturday we were out in region 8. We were heading from one area to another to do some hiking around and came across some cows on the road. My buddy slowed down and I looked over to the side of the road where a few other cows were feeding in the ditch and about 10 feet back I see some telltale ears sticking up. A moment later, up pop some antlers too. I baled out of the truck but by that point they had hightailed it out of there. We spent another 2 hours messing with this group, finding them again in a big clearcut, trying to pick out the 2by2 in the pack, waiting for him to move away from the does, having them play the rotating cup game, and then finally losing them after we tried to flank them. Bottom line though, we would have driven them if not for the cows.
About 2 hours later though, frustrated and thinking we were done for the day and with about 40 minutes of legal light left, we are driving back to our trailer and I see the white of a deer's butt heading into the trees off the road. We stop, slowly pull ahead and realize it is another buck. I bale out and now have my first buck at the butcher's. Nothing impressive in the headgear department and no pix (sorry, we were working to get done before total darkness engulfed us) but it is a nice meat buck and the start of what is now my most successful season: buck down on the first day I get out.
PS: for all the naysayers who are going to say: "This thread is useless without pix" I'll reread your comments in a few weeks with my deer pepperoni sticks, landjaeger, etc. in hand. ;-)

ru rancher
10-07-2013, 02:09 PM
how big was the buck you got?

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 02:11 PM
I was thinking of something last week when I was out.
there's still lots of cattle up in them thar hills.
do any of you often see deer in amongst the cows?

hare_assassin
10-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Congrats! If he tastes anything like my buck, you're in a for a real treat!

hare_assassin
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I was thinking of something last week when I was out.
there's still lots of cattle up in them thar hills.
do any of you often see deer in amongst the cows?

I see lots of cows and lots of deer, but never cows and deer together.

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 02:21 PM

yeah, neither have I.
but the op did, so I guess they are in there.
I know there's lots of bovines in some of my areas right now, one would think they'll maybe help mask some noise.

coach
10-07-2013, 02:22 PM

A couple years ago I saw a sow black bear with 2 cubs feeding in the same cut as a half dozen cattle. I also saw a cow moose feeding alongside a massive white bull. Haven't seen deer and cattle together very often - but I'm sure it happens.

coach
10-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Oh - and congrats on tagging your buck, Sapper. Maybe in a couple weeks you can post up pics of the peperoni and steaks.. :-D

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 02:26 PM
A couple years ago I saw a sow black bear with 2 cubs feeding in the same cut as a half dozen cattle. I also saw a cow moose feeding alongside a massive white bull. Haven't seen deer and cattle together very often - but I'm sure it happens.
same.
I've got pics of a cut I was glassing, black cows scattered throughout, then one didn't look quite right.
it was a black bear.

sapper
10-07-2013, 02:27 PM
There was about 8 feet separating the deer from the cows. The cows were feeding in a ditch beside the road and the deer were on a snowmobile trail that ran parallel to the road and just behind some bush. They weren't exactly feeding together but both were obviously aware of each other's presence.
The buck was just a young, but good-sized, spiker.

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 02:27 PM
I've also watched a huge group of young 'un cattle chase a black bear to hell and yonder in the fields in knutsford.
it was the funniest thing I've seen.

barry1974w
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I once saw three horses and a moose standing side by side with their heads over the fence. Had to stop and back up to make sure my eyes wern't messing with me. I have seen deer feeding with cattle a few times, but not that ofter. Although we had something (cougar I think) kill a whitetail doe right in our cow yard a few years ago.

Sofa King
10-07-2013, 02:29 PM
There was about 8 feet separating the deer from the cows. The cows were feeding in a ditch beside the road and the deer were on a snowmobile trail that ran parallel to the road and just behind some bush. They weren't exactly feeding together but both were obviously aware of each other's presence.
The buck was just a young, but good-sized, spiker.

and now that I think of it, I do always see deer tracks in the cow paddies.

Duidery
10-07-2013, 10:41 PM
On a couple of occasions I have seen deer with elk but can't remember seeing any deer with cows. Earlier this year I also saw a small black bear about feeding about 30m away from a cow moose, who didn't seem to mind.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u633/Duidery/DSC00609_zps88189847.jpg (http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Duidery/media/DSC00609_zps88189847.jpg.html)

Sofa King
10-08-2013, 10:45 AM
here's one I saw.
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/P1011615_zps3be6c442.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/deddeer/media/P1011615_zps3be6c442.jpg.html)