PDA

View Full Version : Any good deer hunting close to Abbotsford?

Tytalus
10-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm planning on doing some morning hunts on the weekend. I live in Abbotsford and have been thinking about heading up around Sylvester road, or perhaps something off Chilliwack Lake road. Any thoughts on the best way to approach either area?

Blainer
10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
yep, drive a little further
these area's are over hunted and under populated with deer
Boston Bar
Coq
Coldwater
Squamish
lots of area's within reasonable driving time

Tytalus
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
So you're saying that 4 areas you mentioned aren't so over hunted?

betteroffishing
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
degrees grasshopper , hes speaking of degrees of overhuntedness. lol

olympia
10-07-2013, 03:33 PM
degrees grasshopper , hes speaking of degrees of overhuntedness. lol
huh? me no speak that language, what are you saying bro? go to those places listed?

Tytalus
10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
huh? me no speak that language, what are you saying bro? go to those places listed?

That's what I'm guessing. It seems people responding on their phones results in short & unintelligible posts sometimes.

skuntor
10-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Hunted chipmunk cr fsr last week. no sign of game for us. the time it takes to drive you can almost be up on the coq.

takla1
10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
got lots of productive spots,all within an hrs drive of your location .Only I had to find them over the yrs,my advice to you is to get some good hunting boots and put down the computer your wasteing your time on and find your own.good luck

betteroffishing
10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
sorry about confusion , yeah , i meant that while those places listed are overhunted and undergamed , not to such a degree as chilliwack areas , so therefore more worth the gas to get to them.

russm
10-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Don't go to Squamish, head east, or if you want to try in the valley I'd choose chilliwack over Sylvester, less likely you'll be hit by a stray bullet.

Blainer
10-07-2013, 10:14 PM
So you're saying that 4 areas you mentioned aren't so over hunted?Speaking from experience,I have shot numerous bucks in above mentioned area's
0 in Chilliwack
0 up Sylvester
I honestly don't care where you decide, just trying to offer some helpful advice to increase your odds.

itsy bitsy xj
10-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Remember if you do go to Chilliwack River you MUST be 800 meters off the road due to all the prisons on that road

Jelvis
10-07-2013, 11:03 PM
If you like climbing hills for blacktail and close to Abby? Sumas mtn
Used to be alright years ago but check regs for Sumas Mtn and if it's open hey
It's very close to Abby, and drive out find a road in to the base.
Take a few trips out to get orientated but check Hunting regs first.
Chilliwack mtn has buildings now on one end.
Sumas mtn if it's still open. Can't get closer than that.

139grainsofhell
10-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Sumas is tough hunting is bow only and most of it is park there are deer there, but the mountain bikers and hikers are everywhere ,there are also gate closures,and you will require a fraser valley licence to hunt sumas, also the hikers and bikers sometimes have a few words for us hunters when you run into them.
chilliwack try mt thurston and ford mt hunt the lower clearing edges late season when there's snow and you should get them.

Jelvis
10-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Sumas Mtn is large, I wood make my own trail as I hiked where I thought it looked good for hunting in the fall. I'd flag it a bit and take some pictures going in and out.
If yah need a bow than get a cheap legal bow and learn to shoot it good.
Sometimes a deer will present itself to a hunter at quite close range even for a fast powerful arrow head (check regs for legal pull and size of arrow for blacktail)
Try to avoid other people like hikers and bikers when possible if carrying bow to avoid making too much noise.
Otherwise when making trail and prescouting country enjoy yourself setting up a trail to the treasure. Make a trail and when you see deer sign or deer trails markem
Jel --With Tanner your Sumas Mtn Planner --

Camp Cook
10-08-2013, 05:58 AM
My son and I have hunted the last 2 seasons starting our third now exclusively close to home here in the valley we have taken including this year 7 bucks so far and passed on several others.

We hunt where you can use a single projectile rifle we do buy the Fraser Valley licenses but really don't need them where we hunt.

Buy the book Trophy Blacktails Tactics 11 by Boyd Iverson read it you will then figure out how to hunt these elusive little deer.

I have two of these books one never leaves my bedside table.

You can order them here http://www.blacktailtrophytactics.com/

MuleyStalker
10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
There is still some deer hunting to be had in the Chilliwack area but it takes a lot of time and hard work for the most part. I'd much rather spend my efforts up the Coquihalla. If you get a few days, southern Okanagan isn't that far and has great deer hunting.

Fella
10-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Get a bow. I've seen pictures of some unbelievable blacktails taken from the abbotsford/mission area in the bow only zones.

Tytalus
10-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll head look around Chilliwack or head farther north or east. ;)

Stéphane
10-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I was hunting in Chilliwack this spring for bear. Sigh. They had motorcycle race that day. Bikes everywhere I was trying to go. As I am leaving there is a fork in the road a 2 deer waiting right there. I got to about 10 yards taking pictures. Does of course, but if you can get over the "tourists", there are animals there. Sumas Mt, the one and only time I saw a buck there, it was 5 minutes before they shut the gate. Not a chance to go after unless I would have been okay to leave my vehicle there overnight(it was during the week).
And to be honest, when it comes to hunting spots, people are stingy with information. Some worked hard to find them and not a chance they would share them online for the world to see.
But there are deer in Chilliwack, Abbotsford and Hope. I am convinced there is a pocket somewhere waiting to be discovered. Once you do, fire me a pm. ;-)

champs
10-08-2013, 06:53 PM
ooooh takla1 -- take the post down. please! im begging you.

takla1
10-08-2013, 07:04 PM
ooooh takla1 -- take the post down. please! im begging you.

sorry champs,,,,didn't know anyone else went in there...

Tytalus
10-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Well, the reason I ask for "close" is because on around Delair Park & road I've seen the same mama doe and two fawns over and over. Lots of deer IN the city that I CAN'T shoot. I can see why those guys in Victoria just got a bow and went hunting illegally at night, it IS tempting.