PDA

View Full Version : wood stove problem... help

dog812
10-07-2013, 05:20 AM
So we are ten days into our elk hunt. And our stove has been acting up. Is fine during the day but it seems like when we go to bed it will pump smoke into the tent out the front. We have a hippie killer or airtight stove. Any advice of why this is happening or how you stop it. It would be nice to have some heat during the night.

Island Idiots
10-07-2013, 05:28 AM
Increased pipe length will help. Sometimes even on short trips the pipe will clog with creaosote. Try to ensure the end of the pipe is not obstructed by the tent or trees. You want the wind to reach it to make it draw.

E.V.B.H.
10-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Check your spark arrestor, if you have one, they can clog up.

CHEAM
10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I second the pipe length.Mine was doing the same thing. Two feet of vertical pipe complety cured the problem.

dog812
10-07-2013, 08:16 AM
We do have lots of creosote . but no obstructions. Hmm. Maybe I'll try changing my pieces to have more verticle.

bighornbob
10-07-2013, 08:33 AM
The end of the pipe has to be higher then the highest part of the tent.

BHB

Trophyslayer
10-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Do you have a chimney damper on it also?

7mm
10-07-2013, 08:54 AM
had the same problem we ean 1 length horizontal out the side works great now

moosinaround
10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
not enough draft. More chimney pipe!! Should fix the problem. oh really dry wood helps too!! Moosin

barry1974w
10-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Longer pipe and if you damp it right down it can cause it to smoke also. So youmight just need to keep it turned up a bit more, just have to get up one more time during the night to put wood on.

takla1
10-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Im a bricky and have built over one hundred chimneys in my day,also heated my home for 25 plus yrs with two fireplaces and also build a camp structure every yr and heat with a small woodburner .lots of good points have been made here but I will start at what I feel are problems.first off is the size of the fire box in relation to the diameter of the chimney flue\as well as the design of the smoke shelf,if in doubt always use a 8 in diameter pipe..Next potencial problem is draft,as someone mentioned the top of the stove pipe should be at least 2 ft ubove the roof peak if its closer thand 8 ft to it.Next problem area is damp wood.Ive seen many rookies cutting up deadfall off the ground because it looks dry-it is not,wood absorbs moisture off the ground and it will be too wet to burn clean.Alway reach into a stove with a rolled up newspaper and preheat the flue to establish draft on light-up,hot air rises and this will help with smoke bellowing out the door until draft is going.Also clean you fire box regularly as ash will build up and sometime when wood is pushed into the box the old ash can partially obstruct the exhaust pipe.hope this helps takla