PDA

View Full Version : Successful trip this time

Big Lew
10-06-2013, 09:54 PM
After missing this year's bow season due to truck problems, my wife and I decided to try again for the October 1st rifle season. This time we had no problems and enjoyed prowling about in the mountains above our base camp by Peterhope Lake. This was the first time we've used an rv trailer rather than tenting in the outback (getting old and soft). We were pleasantly surprised at how few hunters we encountered considering it was the opening of general rifle season. We put on many miles cruising about, going up high when we could. My wife isn't able to walk the steep stuff anymore, but I put a few kms. on the boots by hiking the back of some cuts. We actually saw far fewer animals than during past years, 12 does and fawns as well as 1 small black bear on the 1st day, and half that on the second, but 1 was a small 3-point buck. Our larder was empty so I shot it (a bird in the hand) rather than take the chance of not seeing another larger buck. It was shot late in the day and a bit far from our truck so by the time we had gathered the necessary gear and hiked into it, we had to gut it by flashlight in the dark. It was quite a chore for this old guy to drag it to the truck but the whole process only
took an hour.

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p616/Kipper1965/th_2013muledeerabovePeterhopeLake002.jpg
We spent the next 2 days putting around for grouse (there were numerous ruffed grouse) which was another highlight of our trip because our young lab got a very successful crash course on retrieving real birds. I've had good lab retrievers before, but they all had a lot of training with dead or fake birds before actually going hunting. This fellow did it like a pro right away on the first bird, tracking it down, picking it up properly by the breast without breaking any skin even though it was flapping it's wings, coming right in to me, sitting on command, and then releasing it also on command. We were ecstatic, to put it mildly. The weather was great the last 2 days but very cold at night so we headed home rather than take the chance of freezing our rv plumbing. Although I had also brought along my canoe with outrigger (excitable dog) and fishing gear, the winds were too high, but all in all, a great trip.

blackbart
10-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Sounds pretty darn good to me. I really like the sounds of your pup.

Whonnock Boy
10-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Good to hear Lew. Meat in the freezer, and being rewarded with all the training. Nice work!

Big Lew
10-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Sounds pretty darn good to me. I really like the sounds of your pup.

Yes, he is the large choc lab offered last March free to a good home because he was 1 yr. old, tremendously rambunctious, had little or no training, wasn't neutered, and had some health issues. We agreed to take him only because he was going to the pound, likely to be put down.....he is very intelligent so has come a long way in his overall training which makes us glad we took the chance with him.

Sofa King
10-06-2013, 10:44 PM
sounds like a successful trip all the way around.
nothing wrong with that deer, and your dog seems to be proving himself.
all he needed was some love.

coach
10-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Congrats on a successful hunt and on your dog doing such a great job with the grouse! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

adriaticum
10-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Sound awesome. Congratulations!

Big Lew
10-07-2013, 08:04 AM
sounds like a successful trip all the way around.
nothing wrong with that deer, and your dog seems to be proving himself.
all he needed was some love.

I guess it wasn't that small after all...78 lbs. of de-boned and fat-trimmed meat in the freezer.

hare_assassin
10-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a great trip. Congrats on the buck and good for you taking a chance on your dog!

Salty
10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Right on Big Lew a great trip all around. Had a Chesapeake when I was a kid that dog was the same way, with out any real training she was an absolute bird machine just by instinct. Retrieved right to your side dropped the bird and sat with a shit eat'n grin. its sure something to see the naturals go to it.

bone
10-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Hey Big Lew, Nice job on the buck and grouse, Congratulations! I was bow hunting at Peter hope this weekend too but didn't seem to have the same luck. I hiked the East side of Peter Hope and I saw lots of tracks and scat of deer but no bucks or grouse up at the top of the mountain.

Just wondering if you can give me some tips on hunting the area as I'm quite new to bowhunting. I was stalking slow and quiet for a lot of KMs.

Do you recommend tree stands, spot and stock, or road hunting with a bow? Any help would be appreciated.

Big Lew
10-09-2013, 08:08 PM
PM sent, but don't know if you got it....apparently my 'inbox' was full. Other were trying as well. Hopefully I've emptied it properly.