PDA

View Full Version : MU 3-29 {Red Lake Area}

Sleep Robber
10-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Got an invite to stay at a buddies cabin for a week starting next weekend up at Red Lake. I've never hunted that area and was looking for some general info as to direction, altitude levels etc etc for deer, no honey holes needed {unless your offering, lollol}.

All help is appreciated either here or via PM, thanks gang !!

SR

Darksith
10-06-2013, 10:33 PM
head north or west, either way out there you can't go wrong, just keep heading away from kamloops

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Once your at Red lake, your in hunting country already bin all the way up from the old Tranquille Farm. Through the Tranquille River valley way up above the river going in.
All around the Red Lake and area is hunting country with good fishing also.
If you got atv or 4by you can see hunting country for miles and miles and miles.
Mule deer the size of elk and the moose and bear with grouse, it's a full house.
Criss Creek is the moose spots and around Tsinsunko Crick Dick.
Deer cood possiblee B everywhere you go but go slow. You have to see them so slow down and look real good. Get out and walk around in the bush to on old old roads and smell the outdoors with every step you take in hunting paradise hunting BC
Red Lake with Jake Brake

Big Lew
10-07-2013, 06:54 AM
I echo "Jelvis" remark....go slow, look carefully and specifically along cattle and skidder trails, gully and shaded enclaves near the edge of slashes...most new hunters make the mistake of just looking at a slash rather than into it.

Sleep Robber
10-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies and pm's fellas, I can hardly wait as it sounds like a very promising area.

Darksith
10-07-2013, 02:42 PM
if you see my adventures post...those were not too far from Red ;)

Looking_4_Jerky
10-07-2013, 04:53 PM
As others have suggested, a good area (probably no better than many others in region 3), but if you like areas with minimal traffic you will be in for a surprise (not a nice one), especially in any-buck October!

Sleep Robber
10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
^^ I understand, I hear there is a lot of traffic up in that area, mostly in their trucks I hope as I'll be hiking, glassing and still hunting, I'm not much into driving around hoping to see Mr Buck on a side hill, I find that real boring.

hare_assassin
10-07-2013, 05:21 PM
As others have suggested, a good area (probably no better than many others in region 3), but if you like areas with minimal traffic you will be in for a surprise (not a nice one), especially in any-buck October!

In other words; "gong show!"

Jelvis
10-07-2013, 08:31 PM
If you like hiking while hunting mule deer this Red Lake area is deadly hedley.
Not too many hunters have the desire to hike up a steep slope to look on the tother side which gives a hunter hiker a big advantage.
From the cabins at Red Lake you can radiate out to many many mule deer hunting spots. Moose too but get an LEH win for these moose if your lucky you would be having a hunt of a lifetime for the big moose.
If you walk up and in and along and over a ridge and a half you'll leave humanity behind. Then when you connect on a nice muley, cut it up and carry it out.

bigredchev
10-08-2013, 05:16 AM
i was just up there beauty country, lots of potential! didnt find too many open plains, more thick with open patches.

finngun
10-08-2013, 09:19 AM
i started hunting red lake-sabiston area about 20 years back.....going there today,sad sad ,what a big difference,,you can walk long time to see any animals,,very few grouse,bear maybe..coyotes -yes..
what makes a huge difference??? logging..hunting..climate chance..or what??i dunno,,but only i know,,wayyyy less deer-moose etc. today:cry: makes me sad..

Papa Sasquatch
10-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Wolves will clear the fields. In most MU you are allowed 3. In others NBL. I hope CO considers Bringing the numbers of Deer and Moose back by thinning the wolves.

BigfishCanada
10-08-2013, 10:58 AM
I have a pack of wolves that I hope to tag at least one this year, missed 2 years in a row even though oh I see them.

Road hunters scare deer off road, so walk, you'll see deer. Grouse, we had a ton of rain this spring, hurt the bird season

ultramafic
10-08-2013, 11:36 PM
i started hunting red lake-sabiston area about 20 years back.....going there today,sad sad ,what a big difference,,you can walk long time to see any animals,,very few grouse,bear maybe..coyotes -yes..
what makes a huge difference??? logging..hunting..climate chance..or what??i dunno,,but only i know,,wayyyy less deer-moose etc. today:cry: makes me sad..

I too have been going there on and off for a number of years... The deer population goes through its ups and downs around there. There are some big deer around there but you wont catch them in the open very often. As said above get off the beaten path into the forest and you will have a better chance at seeing the bucks.. The big ones are very wary around there however...

mike