PDA

View Full Version : To guide or not to guide?

bruin
01-25-2007, 08:42 PM
My question is to anyone with an opinion. This is a question I have been wrestling with for a while. If you had the chance to make guiding and outfitting a career would you do it? Would you worry about turning your passion into a job? Do you think eventually you would lose the passion for hunting? What kind of things do you think you would forfeit in your life to hunt the high slopes and moose valleys for a lifetime? Would it all be worth it? If there is anyone that has become a guide outfitter: Are there any regrets, would you do it again?

dana
01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I've guided for a few years. It definately is a blast. There were tons of times I was giggling to myself thinking, "I can't believe they are paying me to hunt". The reason I got into guiding was for a career change during a major downturn in the local forestry sector. It was fun while it lasted but it ain't something that a guy can expect to do full-time year round to pay the bills unless you are willing to say Goodbye to your family. There is a ton of sacrifice with a lot of time away from home. To me, that ain't worth it. I know the demand is there though. If you are a good guide, you can bounce from outfitter to outfitter from season to season and make a go of it. Spring bears in May, move on to the northern outfits in June till Sept or Oct, move south for late season deer in Nov and then run lions all winter. Really would be appealing if I was young and single. Ain't that appealing as a family man though. If you want to be away from your family, you might as well go to the oil patch or the diamond mines and make some serious coin instead.
As for the outfitter side of things, it takes some good contacts or some good finacial backing to get into a territory. Totally doable as a family setup if you plan things right. Outfitters don't see a lot of the glory as they are busy doing the business side of things. They hire guides to do the fun stuff. Sure they do the odd hunt themselves, and if they are fortunate enough to own a territory they can just be a Ma and Pop oporation if they don't let the almighty dollar get in the way. That would be what I'd want. Keep it small and simple and have a blast. Getting the territory is the biggest hurdle.

Amphibious
01-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I greatly enjoyed it. will be guiding again this spring it seems. it does take the drive out of hunting for myself. I'm all hunted out by the end of a season. it's hard work, you're cold, wet, tired, covered in blood, babysitting, packing out animals. very unromantic, but very rewarding work.

srupp
01-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I guided and prefer to just go hunting with friends those I know and those I just have met on websites like this....the $$$ was never worth the skills , experience, demands and sacrafices and as Dana said as a familly man forget it...

Steven

brotherjack
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
I've always been curious - what does a typical guide get paid?

30-06
01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
i would love to guide..i wanna move up to fort st john and do that when i get outta high school

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-25-2007, 10:17 PM
My father owned a guiding territory,and he had lots of good times and lots of bad times,he really liked the American clients over the Europeans alot of German hunters just wanted to kill kill kill and were always complaining about something or had unreasonable expectations.The Americans liked to party and have fun and bullshit all night it was sometimes hard to get them out of bed.Most of the Yankees were very generous and tipped the guides very well ,and he built a great buisness on repeat customers.Outfitting and guiding are very tough buisness ,to run a quality outfitting buisness you need alot of capital to buy a good area and need the best equipment and people .Most hunters want the opportunity to harvest record book animals so a moose area in the 100 milehouse area or a whitetail territory in the Okanagan are not going to build you a successful buisness.I think a better buisness would be renting out quality cabins to B.C residents in an area with great moose hunting and awesome fishing. :lol:

browningboy
01-25-2007, 10:19 PM
You need to own the business otherwise its not worth it, your just babysitting people, how much fun can that be, do that enough at work, certainly don't need it off season or WHY.
If you don't have a solid career, seasonal worker or just a bum, it may be for you as you get the food and lodging as well!

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I think the going rate for a guide would be around 150 to 200 a day ,plus tips on a succesful hunt.:lol:

elkguide
01-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I've been in the outfitting industy for some years now and just had My first child so I can see how being away from home can be tough as a guide,, but I guess a guy like myself should consider himself pretty lucky...My wife comes with me when I guide and cooks and wrangles horses...now with our daughter things will change for sure for awhile. But all in all you either have it in your blood to guide or you don't.....For those of you that do' you know the longing a fella can get for the mountains if you take a year away. I've had a bunch of different jobs and Being a hunting and flyfishing guide has been the most rewarding of the bunch. I wouldn't trade my days as a guide for anything. Lots of guys who have families and are outfitters involve their families in the business.. and lots of the sons and daugthers of Outfitters have gone on to follow in the footsteps of their Outfitting parents. If a guy gets a chance to run his own area He should take it.....Tough work but at the end of the day its worth it.

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I rembered something else,if you purchase an outfitting territory and do not have a guides license you can not put the buisness in your own name for about 3 years if I rember right.

elkguide
01-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I've always been curious - what does a typical guide get paid? Starting out you'd make 120-140 a day and with experience 150-220 a day depending on where you work. I figure that at 180 a day and my tips I make about $2000.00 a week or better.

elkguide
01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I rembered something else,if you purchase an outfitting territory and do not have a guides license you can not put the buisness in your own name for about 3 years if I rember right. to become an outfitter you need to have held and assistant guide licence for 2 years.

CNE
01-25-2007, 10:58 PM
I guide hunts in the spring for 2-3 weeks and then again in the fall for 3-4 weeks. Any longer and I start to feel very guilty about leaving a wife and kid at home. I know several other guides who have been doing it for years and quite a few of them seem to suffer a bit in the family dept. The outfitter I work for runs his operation nearly all year so its not a matter of limited work, I make alot more money as a carpenter and consider my guiding trips to be more of a paid holiday.

Phil
01-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I have thought a few times that it would be an interesting thing to do but I think baby sitting others would eventually kill it for me. Mabey one day if I'm looking for a serious carear change.

StoneChaser
01-25-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm too selfish to devote my life to dragging foreigners through the mountains in pursuit of sheep.

I'd much rather spend my holidays hunting sheep and other critters for myself, and the rest of the time with my family.... the kids grow up too fast as it is... couldn't imagine spending a half the year away from them!

Having said that, I could like guiding 1 sheep hunt/year just to get a little extra sheep hunting in..Dall's would be cool!

From the outside looking in (I know a bunch of guides, and a handful of outfitters that own their areas) it is a lifestyle... certainly not a get rich scheme, and they don't get to do a lot of hunting.

So while it does have a certain romance to the lifestyle, full time guiding is not for me!

StoneChaser

The Hermit
01-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I don't think I could do it. I'm not tough enough for one thing. I'm also probbly not good enough either to be honest. I certainly don't know diddly squat about horses. Although I would consider giving up my left testicle to go on a horseback elk hunt in the rockies!!! That is actually my dream hunt of all hunts! Problem is that the big money foreigners have priced local folks way out of affording a guided hunt.

I'm not so keen on the whole forgein access to our wildlife either. I've got no problem with guiding other Canadians but setting up rich foreigners to kill an Elk kinda bugs me on principle.

However, if a BC resident has a friend that wants to come up and hunt together thats great but paid hunts for trophies just seems wrong somehow. Hunting to me really is a kind of spiritual experience on some level so turning it into a business just doesn't fit.

bruin
01-26-2007, 02:55 AM
[For those of you that do' you know the longing a fella can get for the mountains if you take a year away. I've had a bunch of different jobs and Being a hunting and flyfishing guide has been the most rewarding of the bunch. I wouldn't trade my days as a guide for anything.

I know exactly what you mean. I spent a couple of years in my late teens guiding anything from cougar to dall sheep. I have taken the last 2 years off to go to school for a different career path. But I think about guiding every single day and every time I get into the mountains it feels like home. It is definitely the most memorable and rewarding thing that I have done in my short life so far. I think it's doable for a guy if he owns his own outfit and involves his family in the business.

bruin
01-26-2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your repies, they are much appreciated and any more comments would be welcome. One more question: Can a guy run a Northern outfit with multiple camps and no road access without doing alot of the flying himself or is that just too expensive?

srupp
01-26-2007, 04:00 AM
bruin where we fly out from in northern bc for moose, the guide has a huge area and sends clients and stocking camp flights daily as well as bringing in meat and animalhorns and capes...that plane goes NON stop but Russ doesnt fly the plane he has a pilot there....and hence we "rent" his plane to fly to one of the lakes he isnt using for hunters..
I feel the best place for the outfitter is in camp taking care of buisness...most of the areas to get into by horse would take 2-3 days long days for the farthest areas of his guding area...
So it is best if the guy running the outfit isnt doing a lot of flying..Russ has a exellent radio system each camp has a radio and does a evening and morning check in

steven

hunter1947
01-26-2007, 05:41 AM
If you like dealing with the public and you crave to hunt ,and you get more excited after every years hunt ,then i would say you love hunting ,i was offered a guide job 30 years back ,i had to turn it down because my wife would leave if i took the job ,being away late summer and into the fall would be to much for her. She left me latter anyway:frown: . But if you can become a guide i would go for it ,it is an adventures life ,as long as everything else fits into place for you and others. hunter 1947.

Walksalot
01-26-2007, 06:57 AM
While I love to hunt it can get to the point where I need some down time. I would hate to have to drag my ass into the bush and put on a happy face to please a client.

J_T
01-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Some perspective.

Wrangler, guide, outfitter. Different roles in the same business.

As a guide, you don't get to choose your hunting partner. And you're going to spend around 10 days with him/them.

If you have a good client, they might participate in making sure camp, horses, food are all taken care of. You might have a client that knows he's paying big dollars and they expect....

.... you to get up at 2AM feed the horses..... start the fire.... prepare breakfast..... get him out of bed at 4AM...... know where you're going for the day..... spend the day making sure his experience (not yours) is a good experience..... returning to camp after dark. (8 - 9PM).... pouring him a drink, starting the fire..... unsaddleing the horses.... making his dinner....cleaning and taking care of camp needs before you settle into bed around 11 or midnight..... up at 2AM to take care of those horses again.

All for about $120 - $200 a day.

Sounds like a blast.

The Hermit
01-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Some perspective.

Wrangler, guide, outfitter. Different roles in the same business.

As a guide, you don't get to choose your hunting partner. And you're going to spend around 10 days with him/them.

If you have a good client, they might participate in making sure camp, horses, food are all taken care of. You might have a client that knows he's paying big dollars and they expect....

.... you to get up at 2AM feed the horses..... start the fire.... prepare breakfast..... get him out of bed at 4AM...... know where you're going for the day..... spend the day making sure his experience (not yours) is a good experience..... returning to camp after dark. (8 - 9PM).... pouring him a drink, starting the fire..... unsaddleing the horses.... making his dinner....cleaning and taking care of camp needs before you settle into bed around 11 or midnight..... up at 2AM to take care of those horses again.

All for about $120 - $200 a day.

Sounds like a blast.

:lol: Like I said I'm not tough enough!

Sitkaspruce
01-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I have been a guide for 6 years now and although you do get the odd character that expects everything, they are the exception, not the rule. I have a couple like that, I treated them like everyone else. When they wanted me to pour them drinks and start their fire for them I told them to go to hell, I was their HUNTING guide, not their personal servant. They both left complaining that I did not do this or that for them. When they complained to the outfitter, he told them that they had bought a moose and bear hunt, not a catered and pampered holiday. I have repeat customers now for the last 3 years and will be spending the time at the Portland show having dinner and drinks and a great BS session with them each night. It is a great way to meet people.

I guess I get the best of both worlds when I guide as I get paid from my job while guiding and get paid for guiding plus tips. I also get to come home every 8th day for a day off to see family and rest. The days are long and the weather can be a bitch, but I am one of those people whe really likes to see the look on a persons face when they see a big game animal and if they are lucky to kill one, the smile that is a mile wide. It is one of the best reasons why I guide. And that goes for either Americans whom I guide or good friends that have just stated hunting. It is all the same.

BearSniper
01-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Sounds like an exciting job and a wonderful opportunity to work full time in the outdoors.

The negatives I would see is that someone else aiways gets to pull the trigger ona prize anilmal, and your family life would suffer. Great job for an young single guy though.

GoatGuy
01-26-2007, 09:15 AM
It's a blast - good for somebody who's single so long as you're working for a good outfitter.

Pay = $150 - $350/DAY depending on what you're guiding for + tips which also depend on species and outfitters. Several outfitters also have good bonuses for big critters and old critters (sheep/goat).

You get some good and bad clients. If you run a reputable business you get to pick your clients and you have good clients. As a result your guides have good hunts and stick around for a long time.

Outfits are overpriced right now largely due to foreign investment.

You don't need to fly, you can hire a pilot. They'll go for >200/day + you gotta buy a plane! $$$$$

elkguide
01-26-2007, 10:32 AM
It's a blast - good for somebody who's single so long as you're working for a good outfitter.

Pay = $150 - $350/DAY depending on what you're guiding for + tips which also depend on species and outfitters. Several outfitters also have good bonuses for big critters and old critters (sheep/goat).

You get some good and bad clients. If you run a reputable business you get to pick your clients and you have good clients. As a result your guides have good hunts and stick around for a long time.

Outfits are overpriced right now largely due to foreign investment.

You don't need to fly, you can hire a pilot. They'll go for >200/day + you gotta buy a plane! $$$$$ if you know someone that pays 350 a day anywhere in north america get his number......not likely bud. And I know " alot " of outfitters

Amphibious
01-26-2007, 12:05 PM
if you know someone that pays 350 a day anywhere in north america get his number......not likely bud. And I know " alot " of outfitters

was just about to write the same thing :D

MAYBE for certain Grizz hunts. but even then it's a stretch.

bruin
01-26-2007, 03:45 PM
I think it would take a while and a guy would have to sift through the ***hole clients before a list of repeat hunters could be developed. I believe an outfitter has to be really clear on what a client is gettting into before booking a hunt, that may solve some of the problems.
The guys that mentioned buying a plane and hiring a pilot made a really good point, one I hadn't considered. I agree that there are other areas of the business where an outfitter would be more effective.
Sitkaspruce is a bit off a hard*** I'd say...I love it!LOL The look on hunter's faces when their dreams come true is priceless, I have only guided a couple of years and I had one guy break down and cry already!

Here's another question that should get a few interesting responses. Who out there has an interesting client storie, maybe ones that really didn't know what he/she was getting into or wasn't prepared.
This is mine best one so far:
I was one of the guides on a black bear hunt near Kamloops. We had a true Frenchman in camp and it was his first trip to Canada, although he had hunted in a couple of other places. On the 3rd day we decided to bring out the hounds for a little excitement because the first few days were a bit boring.
We ran into a bear early and dumped the box on him, 8 or 10 dogs (Plot hounds) in total. He climbed pretty fast.
We did the photo and video thing at the tree then tied up the dogs. I made it very clear to him that once he shot and the bear hit the ground he was not to shoot again for risk of hitting a dog or a person. I stood behind him as he took his shot which hit the bear acroos the front paws. He tumbled out of the tree and when he hit the ground a couple of dogs broke their leashes and jumped on the bear which was still very much alive. there was a pile of men and dogs and bear and the frenchman decided to raise the gun and sneak a shot in! I grabbed the gun pointed it in the air. He then turned and started elbowing me in the stomach and then he took a swing at me. I grabbed the gun and pushed him off. We had a couple of more tussels down the hill before everything got sorted out. Later we treed the bear again and killed it. I am happy to say it was one of the ugliest hides I have ever seen on a bear, one because of condition and two because the dogs had torn the **** out of him when they were fighting on the ground.......I now have a very strong opinion of Frenchman.

So what are your stories?

Rainwater
01-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I love driving around in the Winter and seeing the Americans sitting in the warm truck drinking coffee while the guide is out running trails looking for a cougar track, makes me laugh everytime.

elkmaster
01-26-2007, 04:18 PM
:evil: I helped run a guiding territory for a number of years and had guided off and on for the past 37 years in my spare time, what it comes down to is a glorified baby sitting job, and thats about 70% of your clients.

It isnt to bad if you have the opportunity to be involved with screening of hunting clients, I remember being in Harrasberg, PA at a hunting convention and the outfitter I was associated with and I had a guy that came up to our booth and wanting to book a goat hunt, the problem we had is that this guy was about 55 years old, 5 foot 8 and approx 260 pounds, we sat back and told him there was no way we would book him on this kind of hunt, only common sense, I know outfitters that would of booked this guy, (the chances of getting a good goat probably 0 to none, the chances of having a heart attack, about 75%) and YOU would have to deal with that, and if the clients did not harvest any animals or not any trophy animals you will have to deal with these winers for probably 10 days.
CAN YOU DO IT!

bruin
01-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I got a 340 pounder for a horseback caribou hunt. I thought the horses were going to die! I only had a couple of big draft crosses that could carry him and they got pretty worn out after a couple of days.
It definitely is baby-sitting most of the time.

Sitkaspruce
01-26-2007, 05:11 PM
I had two clients who were very religious and after the first couple of words out of my mouth, said that they did not appriciate my language, and all I said was God Damn It, after I hit my funny bone while making lunch the first day. After that I had to watch what I said as I repsected their wishes. On day three, one of the guys shot a very nice 6"3" BB and that night a 47" bull moose, two big game animals in one day. His partner shot a 35" bull and missed two nice bears. The last morning as we were getting ready to head home, they cornered me and started to complain about the size of moose thay had shot and wanted to know why they had not seen at least 1/2 dozen moose per day and where were the bulls that were on the brochure that they had been given. I told them that they did not have to shoot the moose they had shot, there was approx. 1.5 moose per square mile in the are we hunt and that all the moose on the brochure were shot, that is why they are on there. They stopped talking , looked at me and then got in their truck and never said a word to me until we got back in to the Fort. They both shook my hand and one guy gives me $400 us and the other guy gives me a bible with a note about my languge and sarcasam. Go figure....

About 6 months ago I get a phone call from the one guy who shot the moose and bear, appologizing to me about his actions. Apparently the outfitter I work for had put him on the reference list and after people called him to see what the problem was, then pointed out that he had shot two trophy animals in one day and did not have a reason to complain, he realized that he had treated me unfairly. He then said that he was looking at coming back, I said no thanks and told him that he would have to find another guide if he did. The outfitter also told him no thanks. He is a great guy to work for, lets me run things my own way, stands up for me when I piss off people and only calls at the end of the hunt to see the outcome.

There are other stories but that is for another day.

Cheers

bruin
01-26-2007, 05:21 PM
You've gotta love an outfitter that will stand up for his guides

GoatGuy
01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
if you know someone that pays 350 a day anywhere in north america get his number......not likely bud. And I know " alot " of outfitters

I had an opportunity to go guide for the outfitter this fall. My buddy went and got $3500 for a 10 day hunt + a serious wad of tips. Figuring that adds up to $350/day. I've met the outfitter.

Not sure what my buddies make on Premier and Governer tags but I'd imagine it's right up there too - nevermind a tip that would equal atleast 3 months of guide work.

I also have a couple other buddies that guide in the NWT and they make 9-12K/month - due to big bonuses for killing and tips. Up there, the outfitter's a buddy of mine.

I know 'a lot' of outfitters too bud.

As far as clients go I've worked for two outfitters that have sent hunters right back out on the plane they came in on due attitudes. Heck I flew a hunter out this year after 3 days on a $27K sheep hunt because he wasnt' fit. Another good friend used to interview all clients and told them if they were out of shape or had bad attitudes they get half of their money back on the spot and sent home. He also excercised that option more than once.

It all depends on who you work for.

steveo32
01-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I am a young hunting guide going into my forth season, i would not trade it for anything right now. I have a deep passion for hunting and just cant get enough of it, but some times you get a client that makes 10 days seem like 2 years and it really starts to wear you down. But all in all i hope to be guiding still for atleast another 5 years:)

If you are young and have a strong back i would encourge you to give ti a try, not everyone can do it but why not try it while you are young.

steve

Mckinney Creek Adventures
01-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I too have wondered the same things about guiding. I have only guided a couple of moose hunts for a paid holiday and really enjoy hunting moose. The outfitters area is right where I live and I am home every night. It does make for long days and can be hard work at times, but rewarding. My hunters have been great guys and made the experience so far very rewarding. I take a loss in revenue if I go the full hunt, but that is not the point of it. I am doing it to widen my experiences and ensure I have another iron in the fire because I am self employed in the always unpredictable forestry sector. The wilderness is definetly my office/work environment.

Guide rates around here are $1200.00 / 1 - 6 day hunt + fuel + grub + tips.

Hoping to have some time to do a few this fall.

MCA

Stone Sheep Steve
01-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Steveo-You need more than a strong back. Go to your local gym and you'll see lots of strong backs but not many could do what you do. You need a strong mind, a big heart and determination to go with it. Definitely not for everybody.
I wish I would have done it when I was younger as I really enjoy taking out people to see new sites and other things most people never get a chance to experience.

Lack of youth and family now get in the way. Hopefully, I'll have a similar experience getting my kids out and into the hidden corners of our beautiful province that most other will never see:smile: !

SSS

steveo32
01-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Haha i guess that is true!!!! It does take alot of heart to strip down to nothing to swim after a floating moose in a snow storm while the client takes pics:lol:

But i still recomend any young wanna bee's to try it you just never know if you are tough enough:lol:

steve

The Hermit
01-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Question. Do the outfitters make you sign a promise not to hunt in his territory? I've heard that they can be VERY protective of the game in their territory and want to save the trophies for thier clients. Makes sense to me but would be a lot to give up.

Sitkaspruce
01-26-2007, 08:50 PM
You do not need to be really young....

I am 41 and do not have the young strong body I used to have. But I DO have a great understanding family and an outfitter that allows me to do what I want. I also have older clients, avg age 45. I do not hunt the mountains much any more and a lot of my area as some road access. I do agree that it takes a big heart, strong back, a little bit of a weak mind (but a stronger mind to be a good guide), determination and, I think the most important, a people person. Anybody can act like a guide but you need to like people, be a good conversationalist and be able to put up with a little BS, to be a good guide. To some it is all about the kill, but to most it is the adventure, and if you can sell a good time to people, whether they are successfull or not, it is the trip they remember, not the actuall kill. I have had clients that have flown in, shot their animals and ordered the next available flight out (at $2200). I have also had clients that have not shot an animal and could not stop talking about the trip or the next time they can come back up. Both tipped well, but I would rather spend 8-10 days with a guy who was uncessessful but enjoyed every waking hour of the hunt, than with a guy who wanted to do nothing but kill his animal and get back to the rat race and did not notice what a great place he is in and that he is hunting, not killing.

Guiding is not for everyone, but for the people who do do it, it is a great way to spend some time in this great province of ours, enjoying something you really like to do and get paid doing it.

The outfitter I work for does not use up his allocation, so he does not care whether I hunt in the same area I work in. I was hunting the area I guide in for 4 years before he and I met. Not sure about other guide/outfitters though.

By the way I know a couple of outfitters that have offered me $300+/day for guiding, but I would be away from the family for at least 4 weeks and just could not do it.

GoatGuy
01-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Question. Do the outfitters make you sign a promise not to hunt in his territory? I've heard that they can be VERY protective of the game in their territory and want to save the trophies for thier clients. Makes sense to me but would be a lot to give up.

Depends on the outfitter and the animal - sheep spots are very near and dear to most outfitter's and residents hearts.

I've never heard of anyone signing anything; the industry runs on integrity for the most part.

One of the outfitters I worked for will let you harvest an animal every fourth season of guiding on his dime whether it's a dall, moose or a goat.

BCbillies
01-26-2007, 11:59 PM
If I was single and didn't have such a good stable job I would be guiding. Since this isn't the case I have satisfied this desire by taking out-of-town friends/family to experience mountain hunting. This way I get to choose my partners and there is no money/compensation involved to get in the way, although expectations for success are still there! The local guide tells me his clients are good for one good stalk and then they are done - one guy layed on his living room floor for 5 days after his one good stalk! Getting stuck with a bad attitude in the tent or in the house for 5 days would be almost be as uncomfortable as the time I had a Greenpeacer stay at my place for 3 months! If a guy chooses guiding I would make sure I had something else to fall back onto as all it takes is one bad step and you're outta a job!

To me there is no better place to build memories and friendship than out hunting. Last year I took out three guys (including two 17 years old rookies) and they each harvested booner goats. Seeing others achieve success (all goats larger than anything I've harvested!!!) and capturing the memories on film and video and then re-living the hunt for years to come is what it is all about. Keeping life simple usually works the best - when there is no $$$ motivation involved and it is strictly for the adventure, to enjoy the beauty of creation, and to build relationships I can sleep well.

Like I stated earlier, take away my family and my day job and I might be guiding!!!

mark
01-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I too dream of being a guide, ive had the offer twice without looking for it! My problem is, when i was single, i was too busy chasing girls around, and couldnt think of going without for any amount of time! (10 year rut) And now that i got a good one, i couldnt think of leaving her for any amount of time. Its hard for her when i go for a 2 week moose-elk trip! I feel like a guide whenever i take someone else hunting though. Girlfriend, bro-inlaw, various rookie buddies, all expect me to take them to the secret land of huge bucks grazing in a meadow where they can shoot then from the truck!

bruin
01-27-2007, 01:00 PM

I've never been asked to sign anything, and I would agree with Goatguy on the subject. It's kind of an I scratch your back you scratch mine. As a guide I wouldn't hunt in an outfitter's area unless I was invited to, an outfitter I worked for that is. If you're a resident you're pretty much always hunting in some outfitters area when you hunt for yourself.
I would agree that alot of sheep and goat outfits are protective. I understand that because those are their bread and butter hunts, and most have a management plan for those populations.

GoatGuy
01-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Haha i guess that is true!!!! It does take alot of heart to strip down to nothing to swim after a floating moose in a snow storm while the client takes pics:lol:

But i still recomend any young wanna bee's to try it you just never know if you are tough enough:lol:

steve

Steve,

One of the guys I was working for is a 55 yr old outfitter that got down to his undies, swam across the lake cut up a moose and brought it back across two seasons ago - said he blacked out a couple times but he made it.

He also packs caribou in halves - back legs over the shoulders and off he goes! :eek:

It's all about heart.

steveo32
01-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Haha goat guy that is awsome. And if you cant deal with the cold look for guide positions in southern b.c. I have had snow for the whole season once and get snowed on quite abit during the season.

steve

luckynuts
01-27-2007, 05:07 PM
[quote=mark] My problem is, when i was single, i was too busy chasing girls around, and couldnt think of going without for any amount of time! (10 year rut) And now that i got a good one, i couldnt think of leaving her for any amount of time.

Just give it some time Mark:lol: just kidding!

Ah to be young and single again the guide life would be for me. in all honesty i would love to guide but as said many times family is way to important besides i'm not sure I could watch someone else pull the trigger on a monster ram i found and stalked into shooting range:rolleyes: :eek: . Besides i get to hunt pretty much the whole year anyways. My wife is awesome and hopefully she will join me when the kids get old enough to hunt themselves.

W.

elkguide
01-27-2007, 09:08 PM
I think it would take a while and a guy would have to sift through the ***hole clients before a list of repeat hunters could be developed. I believe an outfitter has to be really clear on what a client is gettting into before booking a hunt, that may solve some of the problems.
The guys that mentioned buying a plane and hiring a pilot made a really good point, one I hadn't considered. I agree that there are other areas of the business where an outfitter would be more effective.
Sitkaspruce is a bit off a hard*** I'd say...I love it!LOL The look on hunter's faces when their dreams come true is priceless, I have only guided a couple of years and I had one guy break down and cry already!

Here's another question that should get a few interesting responses. Who out there has an interesting client storie, about 7 years ago I was guiding a stone/goat combo hunt... We found a great ram after 4 days and waited till they bedded and then started our stalk....7 hours later we are above the rams about 150 yards. Problem is the rams are at the base of this big cliff we are on....after a few minutes of tryin to figure out how to get a good shot I decided to grab my clients belt and have my wrangler tie off to me to hold us then we let the client lean out over the cliff to get his shot and boy did he have to lean....He was shootin a 30/378 and when the recail grabbed him it lifted him up and right back on to me. I was so excited to see the ram that I rushed down this shoot and tripped on a solid rock ( anyone who has run down a scree slide Knows what I'm talkin about) I rolled once then went backwards over about a 8 foot drop landing in the scree below lookin like a pizza. So we get his ram home and start lookin for goats. After a day or two of loking over nannies and kids i decided to move to another camp. While we are unpacking the horses I notice some movement up the valley aways .... " goat I said" After puttin the scope on him I figured we had a trophy goat so off we went to get his goat.....We got within 320 yards and Then realized this wasn't just a good goat...It was a real monster billy. For everything I've ever seen in my years hunting this took the cake. The hunter gets set up and then I tell him to shoot, which he does the goat didn't move so I told him to shoot again...again the got doesn't move. I wasn't seein any puffs of dirt fly around the billy so I told the hunter shoot again....Long story short after 8 shots the goat hadn't moved so we closed the distance really slowly nad still the goat didn't move. when we got within 50 yards I could see what was happening. There was a big flat chunk of rock that Had fallen and the goat was dead proped up against this rock.....I never would have believed it if someone told me a animal can die standing up but I've seen It so I know they can.

Mini_Me
01-27-2007, 09:37 PM
A little while back my dad took me out to a hunting lodge. I thought it was the coolest life style I've ever seen. Then I desided to be a hunting guide when grow up. I want to do something I love and not something I'll regret when I'm old.
Is it such a good idea?

model88
01-28-2007, 08:45 AM
As long as you don't mind a lack of sleep, babysitting, $150 bucks a day for 16 hours work......its great.

Oh yeah, ya better love horses.

MattB
01-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Theres been times where i would almost rather pack a moose out on my back than mess around with the horses....They can be the worst part of the job sometimes, but at least they dont complain about the early mornings, long days, and crappy weather!

bruin
01-28-2007, 02:11 PM
In a perfect world I would do backpack sheep hunts and save my horses for the heavy work like packing moose and caribou. they are a pain to find in the mornings usually and A guy could be out hunting by the time the horses get in . I think it really depends on the area though, some have to have horses or they wouldn't access alot of the area.

boxhitch
01-28-2007, 10:44 PM
they are a pain to find in the mornings usually and A guy could be out hunting by the time the horses get in
So true, also having to go back to them at the end of a days stalking, instead of siwashing til morning, is a pain.
I like the idea of the horses for access, then the wrangler bugs out with them for a few days or until called to come. They are a necessary evil sometimes, other times they carry you to the top.

As long as you don't mind a lack of sleep, babysitting, $150 bucks a day for 16 hours work......its great

We don't allow children in our camps, that is usually set out at the beginning. The references to babysitting probably don't come from someone with good experiences.
Most hunters have an understanding of what they are getting themselves into. If there are no surprises, then usually no bitching. Its when a G/O oversells what his area can produce or what accomodations are like, that trouble can come up. Some guys need a reality check, usually after about 6 days of bustin ridge tops, and puking up breakfast, but I tell them "Thats hunting!" No babys allowed. If you let them walk on ya, they will. No different than any service industry.

elkguide
01-29-2007, 07:36 PM
So true, also having to go back to them at the end of a days stalking, instead of siwashing til morning, is a pain.
I like the idea of the horses for access, then the wrangler bugs out with them for a few days or until called to come. They are a necessary evil sometimes, other times they carry you to the top.

We don't allow children in our camps, that is usually set out at the beginning. The references to babysitting probably don't come from someone with good experiences.
Most hunters have an understanding of what they are getting themselves into. If there are no surprises, then usually no bitching. Its when a G/O oversells what his area can produce or what accomodations are like, that trouble can come up. Some guys need a reality check, usually after about 6 days of bustin ridge tops, and puking up breakfast, but I tell them "Thats hunting!" No babys allowed. If you let them walk on ya, they will. No different than any service industry. It took me a few years to figure that out.....I don't give a client a chance to bitch now a days but the first 2 or three years were tough.... Didn't walnt to be a guide after my first year ( worked way too hard for the pay I got), but got talked back again for year 2. It was all up after that....started to figure out that just cause your a great hunter don't mean your a good guide. Clients leave happy...I'M HAPPY and the job got easier once I figured out how to take control of things...after all...I'm suposed to be the Pro right?