PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Buddy BC vs iHunter BC Apps

huntingtime
10-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Is anyone out there using either of these apps; Hunt Buddy BC or iHunter BC Apps. I am trying to figure out which one to purchase.

The Dawg
10-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Hunt buddy by far

It's BC made by a hunter so you know for a fact that it's not just done for commercial reasons and won't be in touch with what we need.

The Dawg
10-06-2013, 12:29 PM
That and ihunter is clearly a rip off of HB.

Poguebilt
10-06-2013, 12:42 PM
love hunt buddy bc!

kootenay_jack
10-06-2013, 02:16 PM
I have been using hunt buddy from day one. It is a great app, i just hope they handle updates regs well.

The Dawg
10-06-2013, 02:59 PM
I have been using hunt buddy from day one. It is a great app, i just hope they handle updates regs well.

I know for a fact HB is on the ball with reg updates.
He's bailed on hunting trips to keep them timely lol

pete_k
10-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Hunt Buddy all the way. I've used the hell out of it. Always up to date.

adriaticum
10-06-2013, 04:08 PM
For $4.99 can you really make a mistake.
HB!

reach
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM
i just hope they handle updates regs well.
I have it set up so I get a text message as soon as the ministry publishes something to their RSS feed. It usually takes me a day or two to get an update coded and tested, then a few days to a couple of weeks for Apple to approve the update. So bottom line, I'm usually up to date within a couple of weeks max. (Faster for Android since updates aren't reviewed.)

kootenay_jack
10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
I know for a fact HB is on the ball with reg updates.
He's bailed on hunting trips to keep them timely lol

That is dedication!

madtrapper85
10-07-2013, 02:25 AM
reach... You've defiantly created a great program been using it since it was available! Always a good thing to have and is easy to read.

BuckNaked
10-07-2013, 05:09 AM
HB all the way!

skibum
10-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Hunt Buddy is great

davet
10-07-2013, 10:13 AM
hunt buddy all the way.

ru rancher
10-07-2013, 10:25 AM
iv used it and love it very useful

parttimeexplorer
10-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Hunt Buddy works great for me!

huntingtime
10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Its very one sided making this an easy decision. Thanks for everyone's responses. I will download the hunt buddy tonight and check it out.

Remington721
10-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Hunt buddy all the way

shawn100mile
10-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Just happened to notice this thread and had to buy Hunt Buddy tonight. Sweet app :) Great job developer! Now I don't have to swap back and forth from the Synopsis PDF (or paper version) and other GPS map utility on my android. Such much nicer... Love it!

Bubba123
10-18-2013, 08:42 PM
+++++ for Hunt Buddy

coach
10-18-2013, 09:14 PM
There's an app besides hunt buddy? Why would anyone need anything else?

Steeleco
10-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Hunt buddy, cheap at twice the price!

Dirty30-30
11-04-2013, 02:17 AM
This is awesome! I cant believe I haven't heard of it till now!

bccanadian
11-04-2013, 10:49 AM
I have it set up so I get a text message as soon as the ministry publishes something to their RSS feed. It usually takes me a day or two to get an update coded and tested, then a few days to a couple of weeks for Apple to approve the update. So bottom line, I'm usually up to date within a couple of weeks max. (Faster for Android since updates aren't reviewed.)

Thank you for a great app. I showed it to a buddy while we were deer hunting near Merritt BC and it was great for so many reasons, the regs are right there, it works as a gps with detailed terrain maps. We could see where the cut blocks were before heading out each morning. And the fact the maps and such work even though I didn't have cell service on my android was great.
His mule has an accessory outlet so I could keep my phone on and charging up while we moved from area to area.

Stéphane
11-04-2013, 11:00 AM
I had an issue with HB, sent him an email while he was moose hunting and he fixed it. To say that I'm a fan of John's HB is the understatement of the year.

As a matter of fact, I would love it if he were to create "Fish Buddy" because iFish isn't quite there.

The Dawg
11-04-2013, 11:12 AM
You should see the update John is working on now...Im lucky enough to have been involved since pretty much the beginning as a tester, so I have the newest...

Its EVERYTHING that we have asked for, PLUS more.

John certainly has put his all into building, and continuing to improve, this app.

And Im not just saying this cause hes one of my Hunt Buddy's

:D

reach
11-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Its EVERYTHING that we have asked for, PLUS more.
You are not helping my "under promise and over deliver" philosophy much. LOL.

Weatherby Fan
11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I have had HB for a while now and it's great.
WF

adriaticum
11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
You are not helping my "under promise and over deliver" philosophy much. LOL.

Lol, you're in trouble now.
You should talk to BCWF and the Ministry to make it an official app for hunters.
You give them some control over content and part of the profit and they advertise you to their members.

yama49
11-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Have had hunt buddy since day one..It ROCKS keep up the good work..

07blackwater
11-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Yup, as everyone else has said Hunt buddy is awesome.

One thing I'd like to see is an option to make the map 'always on' but after using it this fall quite a bit I'd say the app is on my must have list now!

The Dawg
11-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Yup, as everyone else has said Hunt buddy is awesome.

One thing I'd like to see is an option to make the map 'always on' but after using it this fall quite a bit I'd say the app is on my must have list now!

What do you mean 'always on'?

Like a track recorder?

Something like this would KILL your battery.

07blackwater
11-05-2013, 06:17 PM
you mean 'always on'?

Like a track recorder?

Something like this would KILL your battery.

I realise it would kill battery but for instance, this year I was skirting mu' s trying to figure out generally where the boundaries were. I'm in my truck with my phone plugged in. It would be handy if I could set it to stay on in that instance instead of shutting off after a few seconds.

reach
11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
I realise it would kill battery but for instance, this year I was skirting mu' s trying to figure out generally where the boundaries were. I'm in my truck with my phone plugged in. It would be handy if I could set it to stay on in that instance instead of shutting off after a few seconds.
Yes that'll be added soon, along with some other mapping improvements.

07blackwater
11-07-2013, 02:09 PM
You da man reach!

f350ps
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM
This may be dumb question but am I correct to assume that you require cell service for this app to work? K

reach
11-12-2013, 05:06 PM
This may be dumb question but am I correct to assume that you require cell service for this app to work? K
In the current version you should have cell service for the map imagery to show (road maps or satellite). If you've gone over the area beforehand while you had service, your device may have stored the maps so it can still work to some extent when you're out in the bush. But it's not guaranteed.

For everything else it works fine with no service. The GPS works anywhere it can see the satellites, and the MU boundaries and regs are stored on your phone so they will always be available.

f350ps
11-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks Reach! K

ravensfoot
11-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Hunt buddy is the best. I never have to go to wholesale sports and be let down when they tell me they have no more regs. Reach has made an awesome product. I recommend it to all hunters. He even added some of the suggestions I sent him. Can't wait for the upgrade.

drakfero
11-29-2013, 10:22 PM
any has promo code for ihunter? PM me if you have..

The Hermit
11-29-2013, 10:37 PM
HB works great all the time!

rides bike to work
11-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Hunt buddy is great. Would like to see some of the special maps from the regs like Fraser valley restricted areas map over layed for use in GPS mode. Would be very handy

Madcook
12-02-2013, 07:46 PM
The part you mentioned about wanting the app to track does not kill the battery on the cell used my I hunter today tracked all the roads i was on from 10 am til 3 pm and still had 75% life on it, then i email the map with my track to my hom computer.

May be an old post on here but was just looking up the Hunt Buddy and seen your post,

Cheers

honeyman76
09-09-2016, 02:22 PM
I just purchased this app. How accurate are the MU map boundry lines on their maps? Its exactly what I wanted, but I am hoping someone can chime in and validate the map accuracy as it relates to the MU boundry lines.

markstenroos
03-27-2017, 11:20 AM
I just purchased this app. How accurate are the MU map boundry lines on their maps? Its exactly what I wanted, but I am hoping someone can chime in and validate the map accuracy as it relates to the MU boundry lines.

Both iHunter and Hunt buddy use the same GIS data provided by the BC government on their open data portal. I can't speak for HuntBuddy, but iHunter does do some minor simplification of boundaries to get polygons that consume slightly less resources than unsimplified (I develop the iHunter BC app). It doesn't have any noticeable visual effect on the boundary.

Reach can probably comment on whether he does any simplification for the boundaries in HuntBuddy.

Also remember that visual boundaries are not official, and only the legislation that defines boundaries is enforceable. Neither app can display a visual representation of a legal boundary, because by definition there isn't one.

S.W.A.T.
05-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Just installed HB, looking forward to giving it a go, neighbor uses iHunt so should be able to see the differences.

Cheers for the cool app

ian745
05-23-2017, 09:37 AM
HuntBuddy for the win here, local product made by hunters for hunters... love hearing the bugle when its leh time!, one of the few apps that i actually use on a regular basis

Backwoods
05-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Great app!! I use it for work and hunting, highly recommend to everyone! The trick I find for loading maps when you out of cell service, load your map prior to loosing service and it will work great for loading the area as long as you keep the app open

IslandWanderer
05-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Hunt Buddy sounds awesome, I'll have to download it later tonight.

Highlander Hunting
07-28-2017, 01:07 PM
I Hunter is available from b.c. to nova scotia. And most western states. If its a rip off, they sure did a lot more with it!
Hunt buddy may have been in b.c. longer and have more market share, but I Hunter is a very good product.
We interviewed the creator of I hunter on our podcast, so maybe I'm biased.

Cheers
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com

scotty30-06
08-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Just downloaded this app....very interested t get out into the bush and see how it works. ...is the gps reliable?

shortrange
08-13-2017, 11:17 PM
HB is great but it needs a decently detailed basemap. I like the navigation feature that tells me where I am even outside cell cover. Problem is the blue dot is usually on a light green nothing. Make the maps better please! And yes I emailed the developer.

tuchodi
05-07-2021, 09:15 AM
I have a Samsung so its the Android system. Is it possible to get the extra map coverage like the Apples?

Harvest the Land
05-07-2021, 09:34 AM
I have IHunter on my Android and it's one of the best (and cheapest) hunting tools that I've added to my arsenal. Highly recommend!

tuchodi
05-07-2021, 09:41 AM
Do you have the map layers for $9.99 and if so how is it

Harvest the Land
05-07-2021, 10:05 AM
Yes I can see private land boundaries and grazing areas etc. Paying that $9.99 is totally worth it imo

05-07-2021, 10:33 AM
If you are just looking at mapping and trail planning, all for offline storage navigation. And none of the regs…
have a look a gaia pro. it has piles of overlays like our LEH and regional boundaries .. it is not cheap but I have been through a few of these and its the best for me. i will admit it is a bit of a leap of faith to buy it at 42$ a year but for me it is awesome.

just the other night i loaded in maps of my Mulie spot i dropped way points for parking and spots to hike to. i know how long the hike down the road is ( 3.4km past a road closure ) before i turn up. i have dropped pins in the grass spots. Combined it with a topo overlay to plan my route properly.

Harvest the Land
05-07-2021, 02:37 PM
Good call Dru. Heard good things about Gaia and how lots of guys are switching to using Gaia pro instead of Onx. Did not know if it was designed to be used more south of the border than up here.

Good to know. Cheers

05-07-2021, 03:42 PM
It also has europe content
But ya the canadian stuff is good. All i need anyway

sakohunter
05-07-2021, 07:46 PM
I wanted to use HB but at the time it was an apple based product and I use andriod. Went with ihunter and it is good for what I use it for. I would always be interested in a more information at our finger tips but running a subscription would have to deliver a pretty amazing product. I know that there is a couple of platforms in the states that are really pushing the backcountry maping innovation. Much bigger population to drive these type of products.

BCKID
05-08-2021, 12:24 PM
I prefer ihunter. The private property, lease land, crown land function works best for me. Well worth the $10.00