PDA

View Full Version : Bison hunting and denial of heart attack

snowhunter
10-06-2013, 08:00 AM
This is a story of a classic denial of heart attack.

My hunting partner, at 76, finally got his Bison LEH tag. After much preparations, we meet up in Merrit and starts to head North.

By time we reach Prince George, my hunting partner is very uncomfortable and claim that his chest pains are from his otherwise cured pneumonia he had earlier this year. I suggest that we go to the emergency in Prince George before moving on with the Bison hunt. My hunting partner, in an act of serious denial of an heart attack in progress, insist we drive on to Chetwyn, "where he will have a nice hot bath and a shower that will cure this persistent pain in his chest".

Next morning in Chetwyn, my hunting partner ask me to turn down the heat, since he is sweating a lot, and I tell him we have no heat on. I then go out and find out where the Chetwyn hospital is, and back in the hotel room, I tell my hunting partner "that he need to see a doctor in order to get prescriptions for antibiotics for his lung infection, before we move on with the Bison hunt", and he then finally agrees to see a doctor, in Fort St. John, if he still has this nagging pain in the chest. I the convince my hunting partner, in order to save time and get a prescription for antibiothics "for his lung infection", it is better to see a doctor before we leave Chetwyn, and then leave for the hospital.

After the doctor tell me about my hunting partners serious heart attack, where he was "booked" and immediately listed in critical condition, I called up his wife, and told her the bad news.

Three ours later, my hunting partner is by an Air Ambulance, airlifted to Vancouver General Hospital.

Both the doctor and nurses at Chetwyn Hospital told me "that I saved my friends life by bringing to the hospital, and I could not have brought him in much later, and he would never have made it a live to Fort St. John".

My hunting partner is under the circumstances, doing fine at Vancouver General Hospital, but still undergoing test because, due to denial of his heart attack, he waited to long to get help, and might have caused further damage to his heart ?

r106
10-06-2013, 08:04 AM
wow. close call. Hope he makes a full recovery

buckguy
10-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Wishing him all the best. Good thing you were able to bring him to a doctor and recognized the symptoms.

elkhunterette
10-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Good on you for making him go to the hospital-hopefully it all turns out well.

Piperdown
10-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Good on you. It is common knowledge that men tend to ignore the signs of a heart attack. When in doubt seek help it does not make you less of a man to dial 911 or go to the hospital. Hope he is going to be ok.

REMINGTON JIM
10-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Snowhunter - Good LUCK to your friend - i Hope he gets Well soon ! :-D I denied having a Heart attack for 4 days :confused: and i am VERY FORTUNATE to be alive and as WELL as i am now - left main artery in my heart was 98 % PLUGGED up ! Had 1 stint placed in it and ALL is GOOD for the last 5 years ! Doctors all said I am Very Lucky to be Alive ! SO Guys - don't think it can't happen to you and get MEDICAL help as soon as possible to save your LIFE and also to reduce further heart damage also ! :-D RJ

Kilwinning
10-06-2013, 11:12 AM
All the best to your friend and good on you for seeking medical attention.

d6dan
10-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Good decision on your part. I hope your buddy recovers with no problems.

RBH
10-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Good for you! But dont forget that Real Men deny these things. I did the same to the point where I could barely breathe or walk. The end result was an abulance ride across the Lions Gate Bridge to the cardiac intervention centre at St. Paul's Hospital where they rushed me in for an angiogram and determined, fortunately, that despite me having all the attributes of a major heart attack, including ECG patterns, I instead had a viral infection in my heart (since cured). Still, I did the manly thing and ignored everything as long as possible! Good luck to your friend!

p.s. I hope he can laugh about the fate of his bison LEH!

jetboat jim
10-06-2013, 11:44 AM
wishing you both the best and speedy recovery

ducktoller
10-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I used to work up on cardiac. Woulda walked into his room then told him i was gonna go eat my buffalo burgers hehehe

albravo2
10-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Snowhunter, he's a lucky guy. Not just to get the LEH in the first place, but to start the hunt with you.

I have no doubt you saved his life.

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
snowhunter you saved your buddy and it will take time to take this all in.
I hope he get's back on his feet and we thank you for your care and concern for others.
Jel .. You did good

snowhunter
10-06-2013, 10:38 PM
My hunting partner for the last 30 years + is back home, eating prescribed rat poison, among others, to clean out his clogged arteries etc.

My hunting partner want to thank all of you for all your well wishes for him, which was a nice surprise for him that you fellow the B.C. hunters cared for him, and it greatly improved his mood when he learned about your care for him as a fellow hunter. It was very important for him to hear from you :) He is giving his hunting a rest this season, but is contemplating to go hunting again next season, and has enough venison to last him into next season.

His wife does not want him to go Bison hunting again, and when she recover her senses again, she will understand that his heart attack would have happen anywhere and anyplace, unrelated to his activities, and has nothing to do with the Bison hunt.

Thanks again for your concerns.

Cheers,

Snowhunter

Jelvis
10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Your very welcome snowhunter and we all look skyward and send a lil prayer for your best life long hunting buddy.
Jelvis we circle you with positive vibes in best wishes for a strong recovery

Everett
10-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Make sure he turns in his Bison tag so someone else can use it. Hope he is mending you definatly saved his life, heart attack is my one big fear as the men in my Family start dying from them in the early 40's and with the interest I have I always figure if I have one it will miles from a hospital so odds are it will be fatal. I hope I have a good mate with me if it happens to drive me to the ER.

BCHunterFSJ
10-07-2013, 11:06 AM
I can really relate to this thread... While on a grizzly hunt in 7-38 on the Mesilinka River with my son, I started to get "the symptoms". I had had a major heart attack a few years earlier and should have known better. I finally admitted to my son that I was having an attack. He drove us all the way back to Fort St. John suggesting that we stop at the hospital in Chetwynd; but I was having none of that. By the time we got home I was feeling good and thought that they may have been false symptoms (DENIAL...). Finally I came to my senses and went to emergency where I was told that I had suffered another heart attack.

Sasquatch
10-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Glad he made it through. A lesson to be learned from this for sure.

Brambles
10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Wow that sucks, good on yah for tricking him into the hospital.